Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 13, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

This is the first year since 2009 that we haven't gone to New York for our main family holiday. DH and I are having major withdrawal symptoms and we are already planning to return next year, although it may be just the two of us as DS is almost 19 now and is planning a holiday with friends for next year.
Old 17 May 13, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Brill! Shall be reading this with interest as we are going next August and having a cheeky 4 nights there before heading to Florida.

Looking forward to all your hints and tips.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by SammyScotland View Post
This is the first year since 2009 that we haven't gone to New York for our main family holiday. DH and I are having major withdrawal symptoms and we are already planning to return next year, although it may be just the two of us as DS is almost 19 now and is planning a holiday with friends for next year.
Glad to hear you like it so much! And a trip with just he two of you sounds good! Have you gt any recommendations on good restaurants ect..?

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Brill! Shall be reading this with interest as we are going next August and having a cheeky 4 nights there before heading to Florida.

Looking forward to all your hints and tips.
Oh i would love to do a multi city break like that! Glad to have you along for the ride!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We visited NY back in 2011 and are going again this July for four nights.

A few tips we have from our previous visit (and apologies if some are obvious! ):

- Try to visit attractions in the same area on the same day. Obvious I know, but it does save time travelling around Manhattan.
- If planning on visiting the Statue of Liberty and climbing to the top, you need to book the Crown Access ticket in good time. We found it better getting an early boat across, which left us the rest of the day free to visit attractions in that area (e.g. subway over to Brooklyn then walk the bridge back into Manhatten, then visit South Street Seaport).
- If you only want to view the SoL and not visit ths islands, then use the Staten Island Ferry which is free and runs every 15-20 minutes. A return trip takes around an hour.
- We used the Hop-on Hop-off bus and got a 72 hour all loops ticket. We really enjoyed it but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
- Subway is fairly easy to use. You can use credit/debit/pre-paid cards to pay for tickets. If you are making single journeys, I'm fairly sure that the machines don't give more than $6 change, so make sure you have plenty of low denomination bills if paying cash.
- If planning on seeing a show and you are not too bothered which one, try the TKTS booths. The one at Times Square sells for evening performances the same day, but can get busy. There are booths at South Street Seaport (but check if currently open) and at Brooklyn which sell for shows the same evening and matinees the following day.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
We visited NY back in 2011 and are going again this July for four nights.

A few tips we have from our previous visit (and apologies if some are obvious! ):

- Try to visit attractions in the same area on the same day. Obvious I know, but it does save time travelling around Manhattan.
- If planning on visiting the Statue of Liberty and climbing to the top, you need to book the Crown Access ticket in good time. We found it better getting an early boat across, which left us the rest of the day free to visit attractions in that area (e.g. subway over to Brooklyn then walk the bridge back into Manhatten, then visit South Street Seaport).
- If you only want to view the SoL and not visit ths islands, then use the Staten Island Ferry which is free and runs every 15-20 minutes. A return trip takes around an hour.
- We used the Hop-on Hop-off bus and got a 72 hour all loops ticket. We really enjoyed it but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
- Subway is fairly easy to use. You can use credit/debit/pre-paid cards to pay for tickets. If you are making single journeys, I'm fairly sure that the machines don't give more than $6 change, so make sure you have plenty of low denomination bills if paying cash.
- If planning on seeing a show and you are not too bothered which one, try the TKTS booths. The one at Times Square sells for evening performances the same day, but can get busy. There are booths at South Street Seaport (but check if currently open) and at Brooklyn which sell for shows the same evening and matinees the following day.
Thanks for that, some brilliant tips and much appreciated!

Im thinking we will just view the SoL so the Staten Island ferry sounds ideal!

Also planning to walk the Brooklyn bridge so ill use that tip and get subway over & walk back.

Thanks again!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Forgot to mention that with all the electronic gizmos we tend to take with us nowadays, quite often there are only limited power sockets available for charging. For a few years now, we have taken a UK 4 gang extension lead and a US/UK adaptor with us so that we can charge up to four devices but only needing one plug socket. Can't claim to have thought of this myself - it was a tip we had when going on a short cruise from Tampa back in 2009.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 13, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Love NYC, we are off for our third visit in August (after Vegas).

One of the best things we did was a food tour of Greenwich Village (there are other options). Loads of stuff to try, great tour itself and showed us places we might not have found ourselves. If that sounds interesting I can find the link

We also really enjoyed just wandering around SoHo.

Prefer TOTR to ESB if you only want to do one.

I've not yet done it but am definitely going up the HighLine this time - suspended walk - start cant be that far from your hotel I don't think.

Absolutely love the architecture of NYC. Rockefeller Plaza was probably my favourite area - its art deco to the hilt.

We've done the Guggenheim and Natural History Museum but none of the others.

I wasn't minded to go to the 9/11 site - it felt a bit morbid - but we did and it was an experience which I'm glad we had. Very, very poignant, and deeply moving.

We always use the subway for speed (did do the HoHo tour once but don't feel it was worth what we paid - just my opinion) and its very straightforward and perfectly safe. NYC is however a walking city so do take time just to wander around and soak it all up.
Old 18 May 13, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 158
Going to subscribe to this thread, hoping to take DD next October for her 16th birthday, so will be hoping to pick up some tips
Old Key West August 2012
Port Orleans Riverside August 2014
NY/HRH and Beach Club July/Aug 2016
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 13, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Forgot to mention that with all the electronic gizmos we tend to take with us nowadays, quite often there are only limited power sockets available for charging. For a few years now, we have taken a UK 4 gang extension lead and a US/UK adaptor with us so that we can charge up to four devices but only needing one plug socket. Can't claim to have thought of this myself - it was a tip we had when going on a short cruise from Tampa back in 2009.
Yes, we already do this! Good tip for anyone else reading though!

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Love NYC, we are off for our third visit in August (after Vegas).

One of the best things we did was a food tour of Greenwich Village (there are other options). Loads of stuff to try, great tour itself and showed us places we might not have found ourselves. If that sounds interesting I can find the link

We also really enjoyed just wandering around SoHo.

Prefer TOTR to ESB if you only want to do one.

I've not yet done it but am definitely going up the HighLine this time - suspended walk - start cant be that far from your hotel I don't think.

Absolutely love the architecture of NYC. Rockefeller Plaza was probably my favourite area - its art deco to the hilt.

We've done the Guggenheim and Natural History Museum but none of the others.

I wasn't minded to go to the 9/11 site - it felt a bit morbid - but we did and it was an experience which I'm glad we had. Very, very poignant, and deeply moving.

We always use the subway for speed (did do the HoHo tour once but don't feel it was worth what we paid - just my opinion) and its very straightforward and perfectly safe. NYC is however a walking city so do take time just to wander around and soak it all up.
Thanks for this! Yes I had considered food tours so if you could let me have the link that would be fab! If its too pricey I think we will just do one ourselves! I have a lot on my must try lost of yummies!

I have heard a few people say TOTR is the better one of the two so I think we will do that one first and then make a call on ESB!

Thanks for the transport tips! We are definitely walkers so I think we will just pay for the subway as and when we use it!?

Originally Posted by disneylover43 View Post
Going to subscribe to this thread, hoping to take DD next October for her 16th birthday, so will be hoping to pick up some tips
Glad to have you along for the ride!
Old 19 May 13, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Oooo I'm so jealous, we can't wait to go back!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread