Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jun 15, 03:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DapperDisNY
Serious Dibber

DapperDisNY's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Just want to let everyone know I added 4 new locations.
Version 2.1 attached as a pdf and excel (files in first post)
DapperDisNY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Great thanks for this...
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I just google mapped every place on your list to see what we are near. I really need more time to be able to sample all the food on offer!

Quick question, we are staying nr the Flat Iron building & plan to eat at Shake Shack when we arrive in the city (early evening). I had originally planned to head up to Times Square afterwards but we will be there on our last night because we are seeing Wicked so where is another area we could head for a few evening drinks?

I hear a lot about Chelsea / Greenwich Village, would these be good options?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
I just google mapped every place on your list to see what we are near. I really need more time to be able to sample all the food on offer!

Quick question, we are staying nr the Flat Iron building & plan to eat at Shake Shack when we arrive in the city (early evening). I had originally planned to head up to Times Square afterwards but we will be there on our last night because we are seeing Wicked so where is another area we could head for a few evening drinks?

I'm already looking forward to your trip report!
Old 8 Jun 15, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DapperDisNY
Serious Dibber

DapperDisNY's Reviews

Chelsea piers is nice, a lot to do over there. Greenwich village is very nice as well. Love walking around GV at night, plus it will be wayyy less crowded than time square.

Are you looking for beer or cocktail focused places?
DapperDisNY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by DapperDisNY View Post
Chelsea piers is nice, a lot to do over there. Greenwich village is very nice as well. Love walking around GV at night, plus it will be wayyy less crowded than time square.

Are you looking for beer or cocktail focused places?
Cocktails 100% I think we will head in that direction then, im consious we need to do different things this trip. Our last visit was so good I keep wanting to do the same things but there is so much of the city we still havent seen.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
[quote=bubble123;10721452]i'm already looking forward to your trip report!

Old 9 Jun 15, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DapperDisNY
Serious Dibber

DapperDisNY's Reviews
Cocktails 100% I think we will head in that direction then, im consious we need to do different things this trip. Our last visit was so good I keep wanting to do the same things but there is so much of the city we still havent seen.
Ok, I found I few places that might be of interest for you. I have not been to them, but they come highly recommended from a friend.

1. Bar Sardine
2. Fedora - don't go on the weekend
3. the Spotted Pig
Old 9 Jun 15, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

On the subject of NY food & drink I just wanted to throw something different into the mix that might just suit some -its perhaps the closest thing you might find to all inclusive in NYC. This is especially suitable for families doing a short break, that are also intending to do SOL early in the morning... and particularly if its in the heat of the Summer !
Sorry if this is a bit long...

When we visited NYC for 3 nights last July we stayed at the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park, which is right on the waterfront on tip of the financial district (Wall St, Ground Zero etc area), and VERY near(10 mins walk) the SOL ferries - so ideally placed for getting the first ferry over, without a mega early start and without having to negotiate commuter rush hour on the streets/subway. Its also a very quiet area, where you not have to worry about getting some sleep and yet just a short subway ride to get up town.

Pretty soon into our short stay last year, we found like any world city, its not cheap to eat out anywhere , and also we were losing valuable (and limited) sight seeing time by arguing over where to eat, and also simply finding eating places & getting there !
So we decided to upgrade to Club level at the Ritz Carlton which meant we got breakfast, light lunch & light buffet dinner and best of all WITH FREE UNLIMIITD BEER/WINE/SOFT DRINKS...plus use of their lounge.
We found this particularly good value for our teen family and ample to eat (at least enough to live off for a few days). It also allowed us to go out in the morning, do some sight seeing, come back for lunch and get showered & refreshed (as it was so humid) before heading back out for an afternoon of more sight seeing. Using a metro card pass for the few days meant travelling back & forth didn't cost any extra and we really appreciated a few cool beers/ soft drinks & a shower, before heading back out again, and avoiding the hottest part of the day. You could also take bottled water/soft drinks with you. Splitting the day up like that also made the sight seeing a lot less exhausting !

Now I understand the RC at Battery Park is certainly not a cheap option, BUT even 'cheap' hotels have a pretty expensive starting point in NYC anyway ... and we did get a nice chunk of ££ back, as we booked through Topcashback (Expedia at 12% cashback). Also if you book through Expedia and the price goes down any time you can ask them to honour their Best Price Guarantee.

I just thought I would throw this into the mix, as though I know it is a large initial outlay compared to many hotels, but its a completely fabulous hotel (especially if you can stretch to a SOL view room) and we found it to have saved us £££s and also maximized our sight seeing time and its location for an early morning SOL ferry slot, would be hard to beat. Maybe not so suitable for a longer stay as its buffet food not full menu, but you certainly won't starve !

Very suitable for anyone looking for a kind of All Inclusive option & that want/need to tightly control their budget / have a pre paid meal & drinks plan.

Hope this might prove useful to some Dibbers that aren't too bothered about experiencing different dining options in NYC, but just looking for something very good value (never said it was cheap) and practical.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 09:06 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 15, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by DapperDisNY View Post
Ok, I found I few places that might be of interest for you. I have not been to them, but they come highly recommended from a friend.

1. Bar Sardine
2. Fedora - don't go on the weekend
3. the Spotted Pig
Thanks for this! I've heard of the Spotted Pig so this might be a good place to start. ... Off to add them to my map
Closed Thread