Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 15, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sell me Toronto!

So, I have found some pretty reasonable flight prices to Toronto over the Christmas break

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on whats there (i have been once before, but it was a school ski trip when I was 13 and my memories aren't great)!

What are good areas to stay in, is there enough to do for 4 full days, any great hotels/restaurants/other must do's?

What would be the best option for seeing Niagara falls from the city?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

For Niagara Falls either get the train down or hire a car for a day.

I loved just wandering around the city.
Go up the CN Tower.
Get the ferry over to the islands (you can hire bikes there, or, at least, you could).
There's a great indoor farmers' market (if I can remember the name...)
There are various museums (inc. the science museum) and galleries and the zoo.

We loved eating here: -
marche-restaurants/en...e-street-level

...Hold on you'll be there in the winter. It's fun, but ccc-cold and when I was there in the snow it was more about hot drinks, shops and snowmen in the park! I don't know what the islands would be like in December, I've only been over in the summer.

In the spring/summer you could do a day trip to Canada's Wonderland, but not at Christmas!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

The Toronto Marriott at the Downtown Eaton Centre (big shopping mall) is well-positioned. It's right by City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square (which had an ice rink when I was there in the winter).

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

The indoor farmers market that I loved is St Lawrence Market, 92-95 Front Street East (year round).

stlawrencemarket/

Edited at 08:34 PM.
Old 20 Aug 15, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We really loved Toronto, my next favourite city after NYC.

Favourite things (echoing Bianca for some):

CN Tower
Distillery District
Steamwhistle Bakery Tour
China Town
The lovely people
Tim Horton's
Niagara Falls

Not sure how it would be, weather wise though? Too cold for me. Also, check if it "shuts down" on Xmas Day if you're there then. My friend went to NYC for Xmas and the day itself, she said, was a bit disappointing as nothing much was open.
Old 20 Aug 15, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

We stayed at the Eaton Chelsea which we loved. Minutes to Eaton Centre and metro. Just be warned it will be very cold... much colder than any winter you may have experienced in the UK. All pathways etc will be cleared so that will not be a problem, but if you are hiring a car remember you could be driving in very snowy weather. Niagara Falls froze over ...think it was year before last. The Hornblower will not of course be sailing, so you will be able to view falls from ground level only. I loved the snow, and of course CN tower etc are all still accessible. If you are going, the CD $ rate is 2 for 1 at the moment so well worth getting your spending money now. Get some good shopping bargains. Wish I had some spare cash!

We took the bus tour to the falls. Not sure of the schedule for winter months though.

There is a Bath and Body Works, in the Eaton Centre. That would sell it for me

Edited at 11:33 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

We like the Sheraton Centre, or the Hilton downtown - both are on the PATH which is great for the winter. Tim Hortons coffee shops are everywhere and the hot chocolate is lovely. The Keg Steakhouse is our favourite restaurant, and we like Tony Romas at Niagara Falls. CN Tower, AGO, the ROM, science Center,Hockey Hall of Fame, the Rogers Center, new City Hall, Steamwhistle Brewery, Bata Shoe Museum,Casa Loma, - just some of the things to do, and all indoors!

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloridaNuts93 View Post
We like the Sheraton Centre, or the Hilton downtown - both are on the PATH which is great for the winter. Tim Hortons coffee shops are everywhere and the hot chocolate is lovely. The Keg Steakhouse is our favourite restaurant, and we like Tony Romas at Niagara Falls. CN Tower, AGO, the ROM, science Center,Hockey Hall of Fame, the Rogers Center, new City Hall, Steamwhistle Brewery, Bata Shoe Museum,Casa Loma, - just some of the things to do, and all indoors!
I see long lines at Tim Hortons, but have never been. Its always a bit of a mystery to me, as to why people would do a drive through for a cup of coffee Must try there some time.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 15, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Thanks all! The weather is a consideration but we did NYC in November 2013 at at -3 degrees we still loved it! I guess not being able to get to Niagara easily would be the main downfall!

Good to know about the dollar rate! Is the cost of food ect similar to NYC or is it a more expensive place to visit?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 15, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We went to Toronto last December for the fifth time and it was -11 most days and it was bitter .
I love the cold but it was a bit much !
We had thermals ,hats,gloves, warm boots and I was still cold.
But and there is a but ! ... Toronto in winter is amazing ..there's ice skating at city hall
Niagara Falls covered in ice is spectacular , if it's snowing it's lovely
Eating Poutine from a cart outside the Sheraton overlooking the ice skaters warms you up .

We have stayed at the Eaton Chelsea , the Sheraton (3times)bond place hotel ( it's been done up and is close to eaton centre exit )which is like a mini Times Square with all the neon billboards .
Chinatown is a good experiance .. You can get a fantastic foot massage for $20 cad

I love Toronto so much ,I could live there .
Even though the dollar rate is good it is still quite expensive , not as cheap as Florida but not quite as dear as New York.
But as previously mentioned Toronto is not a stay open all night and holidays place so I would check what's open.

Also there is no longer an airport shuttle straight to downtown anymore,we had a few changes on the subway or you can get a taxi but they are pricey .
The subway is really easy to navigate though.

For example our hotel gave us a complimentary taxi to the airport one year and it was supposed to be $77cad
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread