Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos
Unread 14 Feb 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Florida 2018 - Promises made and promises delivered - Intro and Backstory

So parents if you are sitting down I have some radical news for you. Are you ready?

Here goes!

Children have selective memories. There you go I told you it was radical! My son (aka Niff) being a prime example. Ask him to tidy his room, empty / load the dishwasher, do his homework it gets forgotten. But if you told him you would buy him x,y miraculously that would get remembered. I guess not surprisingly- the more expensive the item the more he is likely to remember.

This year 2020 my son turns 16 but when he was 4years old he found out that before he was born his mum and I had taken his sister to WDW a couple of times. At the time I told him one day I would take him so he could have adventures of his own He was four and I didnt really expect him to remember. Major mistake on my part!

Fast forward until 2016 when I had to give the your mum and I are separating" conversation you could see the cogs turning in his mind and after an hour or so he same back to me and said.
This means you can take me to Disney dad like you promised all those years ago

The thing was I wasnt looking for a reason why I SHOULD do it but more of a reason why I shouldnt. I was unsuccessful. I wanted this to happen so badly but left it a year or so before starting to look at the costs.

So when the time came to think about it more seriously Caj and I worked out that she not be able to join us so initially the holiday was booked for just Niff and I. Thankfully things changed and Caj worked out she could join us for the first week and so the booking was amended.

So the planning started. We would go for 2 weeks and Caj would be with us for the first week due to her family commitments. I have to admit to being a bit worried because I had never been on a plane with Niff before and he has the attention span of a nat so I hoped the IFE would keep him occupied. This would be the first time the 3 of us had been away like this as a new family.

To keep the cost down we would fly from LHR to MIA and then on to MCO. Because caj is a teacher going in term time was not an option so we decided to go the day after schools broke up in summer 2018. Caj is definitely an on-site sort of gal but I have spent far too much of my life in hotels due to my work so we booked a villa with a private pool in the Kissimmee area. I had stayed in the same subdivision (estate) previously many years ago so I knew roughly where it was although numerous roads have been added in the intervening years.

There is no doubt in my mind anyway that this turned out to be amazing holiday and I would love to do it again and so he keeps reminding me -would Niff!

I feel blessed that I have such a good relationship with my two children and my dream is that one day I will be able to take my Daughter back to WDW so I can spend some magic time with both of my princesses!
Unread 14 Feb 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
So parents if you are sitting down I have some radical news for you. Are you ready?

Here goes!

Children have selective memories. There you go I told you it was radical! My son (aka Niff) being a prime example. Ask him to tidy his room, empty / load the dishwasher, do his homework it gets forgotten. But if you told him you would buy him x,y miraculously that would get remembered. I guess not surprisingly- the more expensive the item the more he is likely to remember.

This year 2020 my son turns 16 but when he was 4years old he found out that before he was born his mum and I had taken his sister to WDW a couple of times. At the time I told him one day I would take him so he could have adventures of his own He was four and I didnt really expect him to remember. Major mistake on my part!

Fast forward until 2016 when I had to give the your mum and I are separating" conversation you could see the cogs turning in his mind and after an hour or so he same back to me and said.
This means you can take me to Disney dad like you promised all those years ago

The thing was I wasnt looking for a reason why I SHOULD do it but more of a reason why I shouldnt. I was unsuccessful. I wanted this to happen so badly but left it a year or so before starting to look at the costs.

So when the time came to think about it more seriously Caj and I worked out that she not be able to join us so initially the holiday was booked for just Niff and I. Thankfully things changed and Caj worked out she could join us for the first week and so the booking was amended.

So the planning started. We would go for 2 weeks and Caj would be with us for the first week due to her family commitments. I have to admit to being a bit worried because I had never been on a plane with Niff before and he has the attention span of a nat so I hoped the IFE would keep him occupied. This would be the first time the 3 of us had been away like this as a new family.

To keep the cost down we would fly from LHR to MIA and then on to MCO. Because caj is a teacher going in term time was not an option so we decided to go the day after schools broke up in summer 2018. Caj is definitely an on-site sort of gal but I have spent far too much of my life in hotels due to my work so we booked a villa with a private pool in the Kissimmee area. I had stayed in the same subdivision (estate) previously many years ago so I knew roughly where it was although numerous roads have been added in the intervening years.

There is no doubt in my mind anyway that this turned out to be amazing holiday and I would love to do it again and so he keeps reminding me -would Niff!

I feel blessed that I have such a good relationship with my two children and my dream is that one day I will be able to take my Daughter back to WDW so I can spend some magic time with both of my princesses!
Great Start BB - I look forward to the next episodes.
Unread 14 Feb 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Great Start BB - I look forward to the next episodes.
Thank you - a bit of rivalry is helping - caj is doing the 2019 one !

Edited at 11:50 AM.
BerkshireBugsy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Thank you - a bit of rivalry is helping - caj is doing the 2019 one !
That will be a close call...
Unread 14 Feb 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good start

Joan
Unread 14 Feb 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Good start

Joan
Thanks You may even get a mention in Day 2 Mick - bet you can't guess why!
Unread 14 Feb 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks You may even get a mention in Day 2 Mick - bet you can't guess why!
Bet it's a place that you can get Flo's Filet?

Mick
Unread 14 Feb 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BerkshireBugsy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bet it's a place that you can get Flo's Filet?

Mick
No Niff is a Longhorns boy (I blame that on you too!)