Old 17 Feb 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
There is definitely something very wrong with the Disney app and website! Today the website was working for me on Chrome which it hasn't all week - there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. At least it is working for you - for now!

We've gone for a 2.20pm lunch on our MNSSHP day so we can be ready for the start of the party. I didn't want to feel like we were wasting party time eating a meal. We will grab snacks or a QS as and when we're hungry/need a rest during the party.
Perhaps your idea of doing QS during the party is better as maybe I'd feel like it was a waste of time during the event to do a proper sit down meal.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Oh Abby what a chew you've had! I agree with Jo there's something definitely going on with MDE right now!

Obviously we haven't done parties but I'm sure I've read somewhere that when they release the dates for the parties then they release party only ADR's. Someone on the dining forum may have a better idea though. Sure I remember Gopherlass doing an ADR before a party but people were still going in after she left as they had party ADR's.

With HOB could you try open table? A lot of restaurants in DS use open table and it also means you won't get charged if you don't go (not that you won't go, but you know what I mean) Xx

ETA: Just checked and you can make a booking with Open Table here. You can still use your DDP when booking via OT too x
Thanks I hadn't thought of open table.

I've seen that attractions tickets are selling MNSSHP tickets now. The date I'd been hoping for Saturday 15th isn't an option though it seems like the first party will be Thursday 13th, then the next one they are selling is Tuesday 18th and we fly home on Monday 17th . It looks like the 6pm closing on Saturday 15th isn't for a party and perhaps is for a corporate event. I now need to decide whether I want to go on opening night or not. I may just wait until Disney makes their official announcement about the parties as I'm now feeling cross that it's going to be closed early on the Saturday . I know it's hardly something to be upset about when we have a whole 3 weeks, but why, why, why Plus I've seen today that the castle is getting a makeover that will take until summer to be finished and we all know how flexible Disney is with it's seasons...it's bound to last until November

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Thanks I hadn't thought of open table.

I've seen that attractions tickets are selling MNSSHP tickets now. The date I'd been hoping for Saturday 15th isn't an option though it seems like the first party will be Thursday 13th, then the next one they are selling is Tuesday 18th and we fly home on Monday 17th . It looks like the 6pm closing on Saturday 15th isn't for a party and perhaps is for a corporate event. I now need to decide whether I want to go on opening night or not. I may just wait until Disney makes their official announcement about the parties as I'm now feeling cross that it's going to be closed early on the Saturday . I know it's hardly something to be upset about when we have a whole 3 weeks, but why, why, why Plus I've seen today that the castle is getting a makeover that will take until summer to be finished and we all know how flexible Disney is with it's seasons...it's bound to last until November
Ahh no way! What a pain, I hope that Disney release the official dates soon so you can plan. I can see your apprehension with opening night, from reviews I've seen it's heaving and not enjoyable at all.

I seen about the castle too, in fact I said to Chris I really hope they aren't going to have scaffolding up all the time Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just seen the news about the castle too. I did read that the shows in front of the castle are still going ahead so fingers crossed the impact won't be massive.

What a shame that the date you were hoping for isn't MNSSHP. I've heard that the first party can be quite busy too. I think I would still go though if it was the only party I could get to.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Damm about the 15th I’ve booked California grill with the hope of watching the Halloween fireworks from the balcony. I’m peeved too Abby but for different reasons to you. I’m also not too chuffed about the work that’s being done on the castle. With Epcot being boarded up like it is, there is a lot of work going on that takes a bit of the magic away. 😢

I need to get a grip! 😂

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

It's a gold trim going on the castle isn't it? Fingers crossed it's not too much work for them to do and no ugly cranes are ruining your pictures!

Hmm, I think I would still go to the first party if it's the only one you can get to. It's normally full of bloggers and media so as long as you're not trying to buy all the event-specific stuff, you might be ok? The parties seem to be rammed all the time now. We found there was a huge drop in crowds after the fireworks and the park was lovely and empty in Fantasyland after that.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Ahh no way! What a pain, I hope that Disney release the official dates soon so you can plan. I can see your apprehension with opening night, from reviews I've seen it's heaving and not enjoyable at all.

I seen about the castle too, in fact I said to Chris I really hope they aren't going to have scaffolding up all the time Xx
I'm trying to be patient and just wait for the official dates for the parties to be announced before making a decision. The day before the first party date (if we go by ticket websites) is an EEH at MK and I really wanted to do this for the first time as we've never done EEH, but i also don't want to do MK late night 2 nights in a row. So, I'm back to waiting not so patiently to see if the early close on Saturday is a party day too, or a special event.

I've just seen the news about the castle too. I did read that the shows in front of the castle are still going ahead so fingers crossed the impact won't be massive.

What a shame that the date you were hoping for isn't MNSSHP. I've heard that the first party can be quite busy too. I think I would still go though if it was the only party I could get to.
I guess if it is the only one then we will do it. While it's likely to be busy surely most of those people are there for the reviews in an official capacity. Maybe they will leave early? I can hope!

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Damm about the 15th I’ve booked California grill with the hope of watching the Halloween fireworks from the balcony. I’m peeved too Abby but for different reasons to you. I’m also not too chuffed about the work that’s being done on the castle. With Epcot being boarded up like it is, there is a lot of work going on that takes a bit of the magic away. 😢

I need to get a grip! 😂

Kat
Yes it's a royal pain in the butt. Still, I'm trying to not be all about it. I'm hoping lots of the castle will still look good as they know how people have an emotional attachment to it. So I reckon they will do their best to make it as unobtrusive as possible. But what do I know? Not much, I'm just hoping.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
It's a gold trim going on the castle isn't it? Fingers crossed it's not too much work for them to do and no ugly cranes are ruining your pictures!

Hmm, I think I would still go to the first party if it's the only one you can get to. It's normally full of bloggers and media so as long as you're not trying to buy all the event-specific stuff, you might be ok? The parties seem to be rammed all the time now. We found there was a huge drop in crowds after the fireworks and the park was lovely and empty in Fantasyland after that.
Yes that's what I'm hoping for too. Surely they are wanting to vlog the shows and fireworks and not so bothered about all the other stuff? Hard to say I guess, but my theory is they would all want to get the shows and fireworks videoed so maybe the rest of the park would be quieter? I'm just going to have to suck it up if the Saturday early closure is for a corporate event.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

To be honest I do think it's unreasonable to close the park early to paying guests in the middle of August. I know that a corporate event would obviously generate a lot of money but when you book to go in summer you expect the park to be open until lateish
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh wow I cant believe how much trouble you've had with your ADR's. I've seen a lot of people having problems with MDE recently. I hoping it sorts itself out sharpish.

The lack of ADR's must be due to the problems the App is having. Im sure you'll manage to get one. You can't mean that we live for all these ADR's and all the extra planning it involves

I didn't realise you were going to the halloween party. I wasn't sure if it was something we should try or not, we've never been before. I was waiting for the party dates but for different reasons and I used last year as a guide so it looks like this will probably be the wrong dates now. I must be soon enough that they will officially release the dates.

I'm very sad about the castle makeover but i'm trying to ignore it and pretend it isn't happening. I've seen post of people saying they are cancelling their holiday because of it! I have my fingers crossed that its finished by summer but who knows. Id like to at least be able to get a few nice photos in front of the castle. With them still showing Happily ever after makes me think it cant be too bad? Im hoping anyway. Annoying that the park is closing early on the Saturday, I do find before it closes though the park is much quieter. You could use that time as an early night, down time or to play some mini golf instead?
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
To be honest I do think it's unreasonable to close the park early to paying guests in the middle of August. I know that a corporate event would obviously generate a lot of money but when you book to go in summer you expect the park to be open until lateish
I feel like this year with 22 nights I really shouldn't complain about one night of not being able to go to MK but I daresay I will moan again if it turns out the Saturday date is not a party night and it's closing early for a corporate event. I was looking forward in our third week to doing the opposite of our usual park strategy, no rope dropping, having a lie in, staying at the resort pool until late afternoon and then heading into the parks. We've never done an evening magic hours, so I figure this is the ideal time for us. But it's a pain that MK evening hours is the day before the first party.

Originally Posted by Elsa42 View Post
Oh wow I cant believe how much trouble you've had with your ADR's. I've seen a lot of people having problems with MDE recently. I hoping it sorts itself out sharpish.

The lack of ADR's must be due to the problems the App is having. Im sure you'll manage to get one. You can't mean that we live for all these ADR's and all the extra planning it involves

I didn't realise you were going to the halloween party. I wasn't sure if it was something we should try or not, we've never been before. I was waiting for the party dates but for different reasons and I used last year as a guide so it looks like this will probably be the wrong dates now. I must be soon enough that they will officially release the dates.

I'm very sad about the castle makeover but i'm trying to ignore it and pretend it isn't happening. I've seen post of people saying they are cancelling their holiday because of it! I have my fingers crossed that its finished by summer but who knows. Id like to at least be able to get a few nice photos in front of the castle. With them still showing Happily ever after makes me think it cant be too bad? Im hoping anyway. Annoying that the park is closing early on the Saturday, I do find before it closes though the park is much quieter. You could use that time as an early night, down time or to play some mini golf instead?
You're right I'm a planner through and through. There is no winging it and no amount of seeing how we feel on the day. Even on the days i set aside at the end of the holiday for the kids to decide what we do I always book in FP. Mainly because I know Max will pick to go to TL again so I'll book FP for the evening and for Kate I usually pick MK, but she surprised me a couple of years ago as she went for Epcot. I still booked up FP though even though it was only the day before.

Ah, the head in the sand approach. I'm a fan of that too. I just can't imagine the castle is going to be covered in a scrim. I'm with you as well, sure I'm disappointed, but I'm not cancelling my holiday over it. I don't usually read and comment on those threads as I kind of think people are making outrageous statements on purpose and I feel like it's done on purpose to get a reaction. A bit like how my kids can pick a fight with each other if they want to, they know what buttons to press. That's why I usually avoid those threads as it seems to me it's people deliberately saying provocative things to get a reaction. I'm sure you'll find by your trip that the castle is looking beautiful and you'll have some fabulous photos of it, and you in front of it.

Old 19 Feb 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I feel like this year with 22 nights I really shouldn't complain about one night of not being able to go to MK but I daresay I will moan again if it turns out the Saturday date is not a party night and it's closing early for a corporate event. I was looking forward in our third week to doing the opposite of our usual park strategy, no rope dropping, having a lie in, staying at the resort pool until late afternoon and then heading into the parks. We've never done an evening magic hours, so I figure this is the ideal time for us. But it's a pain that MK evening hours is the day before the first party.

You're right I'm a planner through and through. There is no winging it and no amount of seeing how we feel on the day. Even on the days i set aside at the end of the holiday for the kids to decide what we do I always book in FP. Mainly because I know Max will pick to go to TL again so I'll book FP for the evening and for Kate I usually pick MK, but she surprised me a couple of years ago as she went for Epcot. I still booked up FP though even though it was only the day before.

Ah, the head in the sand approach. I'm a fan of that too. I just can't imagine the castle is going to be covered in a scrim. I'm with you as well, sure I'm disappointed, but I'm not cancelling my holiday over it. I don't usually read and comment on those threads as I kind of think people are making outrageous statements on purpose and I feel like it's done on purpose to get a reaction. A bit like how my kids can pick a fight with each other if they want to, they know what buttons to press. That's why I usually avoid those threads as it seems to me it's people deliberately saying provocative things to get a reaction. I'm sure you'll find by your trip that the castle is looking beautiful and you'll have some fabulous photos of it, and you in front of it.
We've ended up with two evenings in a row at MK too. We're going to do the Halloween party on Friday 21st but it is our tradition to spend our last evening in MK and that is Saturday. I did consult the girls but it was the majority opinion that we should still do MK on Saturday anyway. I just prefer when things are more evenly spead out!

I'm like you in that I will be upset if the castle is covered by a scrim but I'm certainly not cancelling my holiday over it. I guess the thing that annoys me the most is that Disney actively encourage early booking and planning then announce things like this with very little notice even though they must have known months ago.