Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
That's interesting. Hadn't come across that one before.

Have a great time in Mexico!
I have never heard that one before either. I will try anything to be fair
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
one bite between 3 of us in 14 days HK, Samui + 3 other island & Singapore. seemed to work fur us?
The point I am making is you wouldn’t trust this in a malarial or dengue area surely? And those areas often have Dengue outbreaks... Deet is the only thing I would trust personally.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
The point I am making is you wouldn’t trust this in a malarial or dengue area surely? And those areas often have Dengue outbreaks... Deet is the only thing I would trust personally.
yes we did ? Thailand is malarial & dengue as far as i understand?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Mobile

DH uses dont bite me patches. Inwas sceptical but the one day he forgot to put a new one on he got several bites
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

yes we did ? Thailand is malarial & dengue as far as i understand?
Thankfully most of Thailand is low to no risk of malaria but dengue is prevalent and it’s a dangerous disease with no prophylactic or vaccine.

The nhs recommends Deet and of course for malaria regions, anti malarials tablets such as malarone. Anyone relying on a non licensed Avon product in these areas is being pretty reckless IMHO. But fine for Florida ...

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advi...bite-avoidance
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Thankfully most of Thailand is low to no risk of malaria but dengue is prevalent and it’s a dangerous disease with no prophylactic or vaccine.

The nhs recommends Deet and of course for malaria regions, anti malarials tablets such as malarone. Anyone relying on a non licensed Avon product in these areas is being pretty reckless IMHO. But fine for Florida ...

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advi...bite-avoidance
reckless to use something we have proven in florida , europe & now the far east repels mossies?

we are talking about avoiding actually getting bitten in the first place rather than what you might contract after being bitten here?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

reckless to use something we have proven in florida , europe & now the far east repels mossies?

we are talking about avoiding actually getting bitten in the first place rather than what you might contract after being bitten here?
But the point is being bitten in Florida is an irritant, being bitten in Asia could be life threatening so it is much better to advise people to use Deet in areas with Japanese Encephalitis,Dengue,Malaria etc (as the NHS and any medical site will) rather than hoping that because anecdotally you were lucky with an Avon-product and wristband that everyone will be... that advice is fine for Florida but reckless for some other areas.
Of course, everyone should do their own research and follow the appropriate medical guidelines not trust a well meaning Dibber.
Old 19 Feb 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

But the point is being bitten in Florida is an irritant, being bitten in Asia could be life threatening so it is much better to advise people to use Deet in areas with Japanese Encephalitis,Dengue,Malaria etc (as the NHS and any medical site will) rather than hoping that because anecdotally you were lucky with an Avon-product and wristband that everyone will be... that advice is fine for Florida but reckless for some other areas.
Of course, everyone should do their own research and follow the appropriate medical guidelines not trust a well meaning Dibber.
agree think there isnt a one hit option for everyone

the point i was making is avon works for us, have tried deet & didnt work, same with wristbands etc so felt avon was best bet