Notices

Old 1 Apr 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
elise
Imagineer

Mum's going to Iceland ,AoA, AKL,AMI and POFQ . Travel Day 1/1

Well the airport experience has been very appropriate for April Fools , especially the fact that the fast track security queue was longer than the normal queue . Well done Manchester airport , you got me there - £12 down the drain !
Anyway , now in Terminal One departures with my bean burger, and hopefully will have time for a mooch around the shops .

After the initial airport chaos we were able to partake in the usual airport high jinx.

The flight was uneventful , but I was impressed with icelandair . No food was provided but soft drinks were free and that was all week needed .The inflight entertainment system was excellent.

Who wouldn't be impressed with The Carpenters .

There were also good information programmes about Iceland and how to drive there . I also managed to fit in 3 episodes of Modern Family .

My multitasking daughter watched Suicide Squad and did a spot of AS level revision .

Finn , who is a bit of a Geography geek like his mother , got properly excited when he first saw Iceland . It was lovely to see him animated about something that's not a Marvel film , you tube clip or skateboard!

Getting our luggage and car went smoothly, I just asked Neil what type of car we have . He replied ' Some strange thing '. I think it's the Peugeot version of a Berlingo .As we drove from the airport we were amazed by the lack of grass and trees .
It was like being on the moon , just lots of basalt rock covered with moss .

We had booked to go to the Blue Lagoon straight from the airport . I had been having a panic about the naked showers I had read about on Trip Advisor , giving me throwback nightmares to high school , but there was no need - I was able to shower in a cubicle before we went in.

I listened to, and followed the advice to cover my hair in conditioner before we went in .

We had a drink from the swim up bar , included in the ridiculously high admission price .

We laughed at the name of the slush .

We slathered ourselves in silica and algae .

Finn messed around with his Apeman ( cheap version of a go pro ) and we had a lovely time .

We stayed for a couple of hours , then headed off to Reykjavik and the OK Hotel, located on the main shopping street .

It took a while to park and there was an odd check in system . There are no staff on reception , you ring someone and they give you a code for a safe to retrieve your key . The hotel is quirky but very nice . More than lived up to its name .
We have a fisherman themed room , with a little kitchen .
Neil and I went to get a takeaway pizza . £15 quid for a large margarita... bargain by Iceland standards , we had a glass of wine /beer ( purchased at the duty free at the airport ) and were soon in a deep slumber .

Old 1 Apr 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Have a wonderful holiday!
Old 1 Apr 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks for the info I was just about to buy the fast passes for Security, don't think I'll bother now.

Have a safe journey and a fabulous holiday.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 17, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Bean burger is my favourite! Your comment reminded me of Lucas & Walliams ' Come Fly With Me" and speedy boarding.

You have a great trip lined up by the looks of it. Have a great time!
Old 2 Apr 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by elise - 2 Apr 17 9:40 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 17, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
elise
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rob & Jan View Post
Thanks for the info I was just about to buy the fast passes for Security, don't think I'll bother now.

Have a safe journey and a fabulous holiday.
It's totally luck of the draw ! I don't want you to be cursing me in a long queue!

I felt totally ripped off though .
Old 2 Apr 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good first day

Joan
Old 3 Apr 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great travel day, my DS and DIL were there in January and loved the Blue Lagoon.
Old 3 Apr 17, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

Love Iceland, we were there in January to celebrate my 40th Birthday.
I know how ridiculously expensive it is there, I spent just over £50 on a couple of fridge magnets/keyrings. Food is expensive too, so we went to Dominos Pizza.

If your out and about in town, we found a great bargain shop (similar to Lidl & Aldi) it's called 'Bonus' saved us a fortune on food, drink, snacks & toiletries.

Recommend the Northern Lights tour
Mandij39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List