Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jul 22, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Thank you everyone who has suggested DAS. I will think very carefully about it. It just doesn’t sit right with me when he hasn’t got a diagnosis. (Even though I know they can’t ask for proof.)
It’s not that they can’t ask for proof, although they can’t. It’s that you just need to be able to explain why he can’t queue. There re clearly difficulties there so you should feel no guilt about using it.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 22, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We’re another family who were wondering if we should really apply for it as he was in early stages of diagnosis. In the end we did, after initially talking about it and his follow ups have highlighted potentially ASD as well as ADHD. The cast member we spoke with was super understanding. We’ve been here two days, one at Disney, one at Universal.
I don’t think we’ve ever had a visit like that to MK in the past, he was able to enjoy himself and relax and it took a lot of pressure off of us to keep him that way.
Don’t feel guilty about it - you’re trying to ensure that he is happy and calm during his holiday, that’s the right thing to so.

Side note, AAP at Universal helps but doesn’t quite compare to DAS.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Indy_UK

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
We’re another family who were wondering if we should really apply for it as he was in early stages of diagnosis. In the end we did, after initially talking about it and his follow ups have highlighted potentially ASD as well as ADHD. The cast member we spoke with was super understanding. We’ve been here two days, one at Disney, one at Universal.
I don’t think we’ve ever had a visit like that to MK in the past, he was able to enjoy himself and relax and it took a lot of pressure off of us to keep him that way.
Don’t feel guilty about it - you’re trying to ensure that he is happy and calm during his holiday, that’s the right thing to so.

Side note, AAP at Universal helps but doesn’t quite compare to DAS.
Glad to hear you see the benefit. Looking to hearing more of your views
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moles Family View Post
Glad to hear you see the benefit. Looking to hearing more of your views
We’ve just used this at Disney and Universal equivalent .
Made a massive difference at both parks .
You have to go to guest services at Universal and for IOA where we did hours please note there is another desk just inside the park to the right that had no queue- as opposed to the one outside where the queue was long - also another in Marvel area .
The pass at universal coveres both parks for the duration of our stay
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 22, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thought I’d update on how DS13 got on.

He actually coped much better than I thought he would. The queues were often snaking out of the ride entrance so in these instances, he would often pop into the shop to browse and cool off before joining us or if the queue snaked around, he’d sit at one end and then join us. We also took some fidget toys with us but he didn’t like using those as he soon realised that I’d ask him if wanted them when I noticed he was struggling and then he became self conscious of his behaviour if you see what I mean. He did love playing heads up which helped distract him and pass the time.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List