Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Jul 22, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The 3 week Sept extravaganza – which turned into a 2 week trip in June with a cruise! Day 4 - WAT

Wed 15th June

Today we had another late start, as we were still tired!

We had breakfast in our room on real plates and with a proper cup for my coffee!

Today’s plan was to visit the Animal Kingdom for the Wild Africa Trek which we were both looking forward to.

We were booked in at 1230 which was not really the best time due to the heat but it was what was available when we found our way onto the site using our VPN.

We checked in and signed the scary waiver forms (we were assured that we weren’t going to get eaten by crocodiles!) and were sent over to get our safety gear sorted.

Disney take the safety aspect seriously, we were weighed and fitted with harnesses, and all bags had to be stored in a locker.

We were given straps for glasses, phones/cameras and our water bottles and once everyone in the group was set up and we had confirmed we knew how to use our headsets we were ready to go.

We had 2 guides Patrick and Rachel (plus Lauren joined along the way and driver Mike) and we started off by walking from the entrance to Kilimanjaro safaris towards the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail.

We walked a short amount of the trail with some commentary from our guides before we went off course and headed back stage.

Soon enough we arrived at the Hippopotamus area where we met one of the team who was going to feed the animals. We were all clipped onto safety rails and walked into the section. The hippos were ‘called’ and they slowly made their way over with some tasty snacks to tempt them.

We all got photos with the hippos and heard loads of facts (most of which I have sadly forgotten) before we were unclipped and on our way to the next section.

After a short walk we arrived at the rope bridges, as you would expect there was a lot of safety here too. We had to leave half a bridge between each person and were again clipped on, so as you can imagine this wasn’t a fast process (I think there were 10 of us).

We slowly made our way across, waving to the safari trucks and taking a few photos along the way. We had 2 bridges to cross and the second one went over the crocodiles – I tried to get a photo but not sure I managed it.

Once we got to the other side of the bridges we had the opportunity to get more water and they also provided cooling towels which were very welcome as it was baking hot. Unfortunately, one member of the group wasn’t feeling well so Lauren (our extra guide for the ropes) took them and their partner back via a shortcut.

Now we were allowed to remove our harnesses and board our truck to go on our safari. It’s a different truck to the attraction and they take a slightly different route so we got some really good photos (the guides take some too along the way).

We then headed to the Boma for our ‘snack’.

We had hummus and pita, olives, plus cheese and prosciutto and an edible orchid on the top layer. Then chicken and aioli wraps, shrimp, fruit salad and a small granola bite. All accompanied by some POG juice which was very refreshing given the temperatures.

The food was really good, I don’t like olives but did try one to confirm (still don’t like them) and I’m not keen on shrimp but I gave them a try and they weren’t bad.

We were at the Boma for a little while and had some more photos whilst we ate and eventually we got back on the truck to complete our tour. I won’t give away any details but we did learn a little bit of Disney magic along the way.

We got off the truck and walked back to the lockers, where we were given photopass cards to claim our photos (which are included even if you don’t have memory maker).

Our tour cost us just over £280 (for 2 adults) which included a DVC discount, for that we got a 3 hour tour and the snacks included. We also received water bottles and cooling towels to keep after the tour.

I would highly recommend this tour, Rob and I both really enjoyed it and the only change I would make is to do it earlier in the day when it is cooler.

Once we were done we headed back to our room for a shower and rest have I mentioned it was very hot today?!

Tonight, we had dinner booked at Steakhouse 71, for the 3rd time we arrived on time and were seated way after our reservation time (30 mins late this time!) but luckily the food was good and made up for the wait and it wasn’t quite as late tonight!

I had filet mignon with wild mushroom sauce and Mac and Cheese which was excellent.

Rob had steak medallions with steak sauce also accompanied by Mac and Cheese.

We both had the chocolate cake for dessert despite the fact that I thought we could share. I was correct, we should have! Neither of us could finish our cake but I took mine with me in a box to eat later!

Despite having access to the Evening Magic Hours (or whatever they are called now) we were once again too lazy to return to the park.

Edited at 07:46 PM.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a wonderful day, Wild Trek Africa looks amazing- I understand it must have been super hot but that food looks delicious! I’m so pleased you had a wonderful dinner at Steakhouse 71 and woohoo for being able to order dessert - that cake looks spectacular. Hopefully you managed to eat yours for breakfast. 😉
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
What a wonderful day, Wild Trek Africa looks amazing- I understand it must have been super hot but that food looks delicious! I’m so pleased you had a wonderful dinner at Steakhouse 71 and woohoo for being able to order dessert - that cake looks spectacular. Hopefully you managed to eat yours for breakfast. 😉
It was brilliant and dare I say it probably the highlight of our trip! It was hotter than the sun (mostly kidding) and wow were we sweaty (sorry!) The food was surprisingly good too except those olives!

Dinner at Steakhouse 71 was good, although still annoyed by every reservation time being late.

I might have eaten cake for breakfast the next day It was a very good cake!
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The tour looks amazing, and seems well worth it. Sadly, I know I could never walk across the rope bridge, I'm such a baby when it comes to walking over see through grates, or steps without backs, or like in your tour rope bridges.

Wow, that cake at S71 is amazing, lots of layers! I'm glad you didn't leave it behind. Definitely looks like a perfect holiday breakfast to me!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The tour looks amazing, and seems well worth it. Sadly, I know I could never walk across the rope bridge, I'm such a baby when it comes to walking over see through grates, or steps without backs, or like in your tour rope bridges.

Wow, that cake at S71 is amazing, lots of layers! I'm glad you didn't leave it behind. Definitely looks like a perfect holiday breakfast to me!
Rob isn’t keen on heights but we were attached the whole time and it felt really safe.

The cake was amazing!
Old 16 Jul 22, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a great tour you had lots of animals seen some nice food too.
And a lovely meal in the evening :d so a good day all round

Joan
Old 16 Jul 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a great tour you had lots of animals seen some nice food too.
And a lovely meal in the evening :d so a good day all round

Joan
It really was
Old 30 Mar 23, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Your tour looks amazing. We were just discussing if this is something we can add on this trip.

Can I ask, did you just have normal trainers on and what was the chat with taking your phone or own camera for photos?
Old 31 Mar 23, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Your tour looks amazing. We were just discussing if this is something we can add on this trip.

Can I ask, did you just have normal trainers on and what was the chat with taking your phone or own camera for photos?
Hi,

I did indeed just wear normal trainers, I think open toed shoes were not permitted but other than that you can wear anything comfortable/sensible.

Regarding phone or camera, as long as they can attach a strap you can take it with you. My iPhone had a strap attached via the case and I imagine most cameras have a place to do the same.

They do take lots of pictures for you, which are included in the price - you get a photo pass card at the end with a code to download.

If you wear glasses (like me) they also provide a strap to secure them. They are super safety conscious (one of the Disney keys) and I never felt like either were ‘needed’ but obviously they don’t want you to lose them in the animal areas.

Let me know if you want any more info 😁
Old 31 Mar 23, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Hi,

I did indeed just wear normal trainers, I think open toed shoes were not permitted but other than that you can wear anything comfortable/sensible.

Regarding phone or camera, as long as they can attach a strap you can take it with you. My iPhone had a strap attached via the case and I imagine most cameras have a place to do the same.

They do take lots of pictures for you, which are included in the price - you get a photo pass card at the end with a code to download.

If you wear glasses (like me) they also provide a strap to secure them. They are super safety conscious (one of the Disney keys) and I never felt like either were ‘needed’ but obviously they don’t want you to lose them in the animal areas.

Let me know if you want any more info 😁
Thanks that’s all super helpful. We’ve fancied this for a while but it never felt like the right time.