Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Jul 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The 3 week Sept extravaganza – which turned into a 2 week trip in June and no cruise! COVID Pt1

Fri 17th June – Wed 22nd June (The COVID affected portion, which I have split into 2 parts)

Some of my regular readers will have been waiting for this section (not because they were looking forward to it).

Fri 17th June

We woke up a little bit later today after our late night and Rob said he felt a bit sniffly.

Now, we had both had a slightly scratchy throat (I wouldn’t go so far as to say sore) but we typically get a slight cold in Florida every year. We had brought a few LFTs with us as we were going on our cruise and had tested on Wednesday and both been negative.

We thought we’d do another one today just to check and whilst mine was negative Rob’s was positive almost instantly

As we were due to do our pre-cruise tests the next day this did not bode well, but in vain hope we rearranged Rob’s test for late Sunday just in case.

We had breakfast and spent most of the day in our room watching HGTV and the animals outside our room.

We did make a brief trip to Target to buy more food and drink supplies so that we could minimise our trips out of the room.

Later in the day we walked across to Jambo (leaving Rob outside and away from people) as we had Jiko booked for dinner and I couldn’t work out how to cancel without being charged.

I popped down to the desk and told them Rob wasn’t well so they cancelled without charge.

Luckily as we were staying at Kidani we had the option to use mobile order at Sanaa and so we had naan breads plus curry for both of us. I had the kids portion which was plenty of food and our total cost was just under $60 and luckily we had our plates to use for dinner!

Sat 18th June

There was a similar trend today; I had my pre-cruise test at around 9am and was still showing as negative.

We had breakfast and lunch from our supplies and watched a load of HGTV shows.

We also booked a hotel (which was cancellable in the event we could cruise) and I went to the gym for a walk on the treadmill – there was only 1 person in the gym and I steered clear of them just in case.

Dinner was again via mobile order from Sanaa; more naan's and curry for me again (kid’s portion) while Rob had steak this time.

Sun 19th June

Another day in the room, Rob had his pre-cruise test which was confirmed as positive. The line was much thinner than previously so that was a good sign although unfortunately I had now turned positive.

We called Royal Caribbean, they asked for proof of Rob’s test which we sent across and they confirmed we would get a full refund. They said it would take 4 – 6 weeks but it was actually showing on our cards before we left Florida so can’t fault that customer service.

I have no clue what we had to eat today – I think I lost interest in keeping track! Although it looks like we had a sub we had bought for lunch...

Edited at 09:22 PM.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 22, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That’s so sad

Hope you both soon feel better

Joan
Old 17 Jul 22, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a terrible situation for you both to be in. 😢 The only silver lining (albeit a very tiny one) was that you could order meals from Sana’a. Royal Caribbean handled it well, thankfully your refund was swift and hopefully it didn’t take too long to return negative results. Xxx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
That’s so sad

Hope you both soon feel better

Joan
We didn’t ever feel really bad. We actually had more symptoms when we got home and were negative but even then it was very minor.

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
What a terrible situation for you both to be in. 😢 The only silver lining (albeit a very tiny one) was that you could order meals from Sana’a. Royal Caribbean handled it well, thankfully your refund was swift and hopefully it didn’t take too long to return negative results. Xxx
It really could have been much worse, we know of people who tested positive on the cruise and they got locked away in cabins unable to go out at all.

As you’ll see in part 2 we did have to move hotels and had to go get food but we could at least get some fresh air from time to time.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Well, here it is - the covid part. Such a shame you couldn't go on on your cruise. I'm glad the refund was promptly given.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Well, here it is - the covid part. Such a shame you couldn't go on on your cruise. I'm glad the refund was promptly given.
Yep, hard to sell Although my friend said I didn’t make it sound sad enough

And yep, refund arrived very quickly which was good.
Old 18 Jul 22, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

Loved reading your trip so far and this came as a shock! So sorry your cruise got cancelled but there is always next time!
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Kcstyle View Post
Loved reading your trip so far and this came as a shock! So sorry your cruise got cancelled but there is always next time!
Yeah, it was a bit of a shock to us too.