Notices

Old 30 Jul 22, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

The "sitting in the posh seats" New York & Orlando pre-trip report - August 2022

Like everyone, it’s been a few years since I have had to think about planning a trip (and a trip report!). So, please bear with me as I find my feet again and get into my stride. The fact that I am only writing this pre-trip the day before we leave shows how out of practise I am. So let’s begin.

Who:

Me – Sue, age 52. An office manager in a primary school so tied to school holidays. Loves all things Florida and is the main planner and organiser.

DH – Bill, age 58. A legal executive who works mainly from home. Happy to let me get on and do the planning and organising.

DD – Evie, age 17. Evie has autism and learning difficulties and is in Post 16 at a special school. She has recently had two surgeries on her right foot to correct deformities caused by how she walks and will be having further surgery later this year to correct her left foot. We will be taking her wheelchair with us as she still struggles with long days/distances. Loves rollercoasters – the bigger the better!

Flights

We are flying with Virgin from Heathrow, even though Manchester is our “local” airport, as there was no reward availability from Manchester. I was able to use points to get two PE returns to JFK and paid cash for the third. I then my three credit card reward vouchers to upgrade to Upper. All in all, I paid less than three economy flights to Orlando would have cost. This is our first time in Upper – or the “posh seats” as Evie calls then – and as we are flying from Heathrow, will get to use the Virgin lounge.

I have booked internal flights from JFK to MCO using JetBlue. They have changed both the outbound and inbound flight times a number of times but, luckily nothing drastic. We leave New York around lunchtime which means that we get into MCO at a decent time. Our return is in the morning, getting us into JFK at lunchtime. Our Virgin flight isn’t until 9pm so giving us plenty of time for delays and a few drinks in the lounge!

Accommodation

New York – We are in New York for 5 nights and after a few changes have finally settled on the Iberostar on Park Avenue, just near Grand Central.

We made the decision not to do Disney again this time – partly due to the cost of the onsite hotels and partly due to what we feel is a reduction in the experience due to all the post-covid changes. So, no Disney hotel this time.

We will be doing Universal but, given the hike in prices for the premier hotels, decided they were out of our price range. We originally booked a family suite at Cabana Bay for 6 nights but once AP rates were out, we changed this to 4 nights and then 2 nights at Portofino Bay.

Finally, we have 10 nights at a villa on Windsor Palms.

Tickets/things to do

My parents bought us Explorer tickets for New York at Christmas, so we are using these for the Empire State Building, One World Observatory, 911 Memorial Museum and the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry. We visited New York back in 2010 so did some of the sights then – ESB, Top of the Rock, Central Park, Staten Island ferry. This time, we want to explore more neighbourhoods and have plans to see more of Central Park, walk the Highline and Brooklyn Bridge and go to Roosevelt Island.

We have Universal annual passes so will spend most of our time here but have also got Discovery Cove (non-swim) ultimate tickets. We have booked Discovery Cove for two days after arriving from New York as I think we will need the rest! We will also be doing Sea World and Busch Gardens, and possibly Aquatica, plus shopping and general mooching around.

So that’s it for this very rushed pre-trippie. Stay tuned for a “liveish” report coming very soon.

Edited at 05:35 PM.
Young Pooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
We’re following you on Monday! Have a fantastic trip, it sounds amazing.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Martha_k
VIP Dibber

Sounds like an amazing holiday you have planned. Enjoy - I look forward to reading your report
2022 - Kissimmee Villa
2025 - Planning in progress

Take me back...please!
Martha_k is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks guys.

Just sat in the bar at the Hilton Garden Inn watching the planes.

Young Pooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Looks like a FAB trip
Looking forward to following along
Ps
Hope you like cakes & they’ll be some pics 🙊🙊😋😋

Have a safe journey tomorrow x

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

We are back after a fantastic three weeks away.

I had intended to do a fairly live report, but we were so busy in New York - and so knackered when we got back to the hotel each day - that I never actually started. I did make notes each day so will be writing my report from those.

I am hoping to get this out pretty quick as I have two before I go back to work and could do to get most of it done by then - fingers crossed!

I have set up an Index and will have the pre-travel day done shortly.