Old 13 Feb 22, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 9 Monday 31 January
California Adventures Park
Lunar New Year
Park Opening 8am to 6pm

Today was my second park day and I had planned and booked my park reservation for California Adventures. Then about 2 weeks after I booked my reservation, Disneyland announced The Chinese Lunar New Year Festival for my park day.

You can read todays food review here

Again I was scanned into the park by 7.30am with a park opening of 8am. As soon as I was scanned in I found the nearest bench to buy Genie+.

Again I had issues with my pre paid card and with the Spira gift card. As I was opposite guest services I went and asked for help with the gift card.

It turned out I was putting in the wrong number. The numbers are really small and I thought it was 5 but it was 6 and thats why it wouldn't work.

Once I put in the correct numbers it worked and I was able to buy Genie+. I made a note of the number so that I could use it throughout the day for Lightning lanes and food.

As it was still before park opening, I decided to avoid the big crowds going for rope drop at Avengers Campus and Carsland and instead went over to Soarin.

The path way was open, so that people from Grand California Hotel could enter the park but but they were holding people in the queueing area of Soarin.

I managed to be in the first 20 people and on the first loading of Soarin.

After Soarin I decided to avoid the crowds and go the back way to Paradise Pier area.

Grizzly River Run is closed for refurb and it was really interesting to see the river drain and the boats tied up.

As I passed Redwood Creek Challenge Trail I saw a sign for Raya meet and greet. I checked the App and say that she would be there at 2pm.

As I walked to Paradise Gardens I could hear the sounds of Chines music and found the whole area in front of The Little Mermaid transformed into a a mini China Town.

As it was early the food booths were not open and there was very few people. I decided to buy the Sip and Savor Pass so that when the booths open I wouldnt have to wait in line.

After checking out the Lunar New Year Merchandise I was feeling a bit hungry so I got a breakfast burrito.

As it was so quiet in Paradise Gardens area I decided to go on some rides I have never been on, the fairground type rides. As there was no one around, all of them were walk on. The 2 that I went on were The Golden Zephr and Jumping jellyfish. I also went on The Little Mermaid.

After The Little Mermaid I went over to Pacific Wharf and into Carsland.

I did single rider for Radiator Springs Racers and it was a walk on.

After Radiator Springs I went through the back way into Avengers Campus.

This is completly new since my last visit and I have tried as much as possible not to watch any spoilers or read reviews.

As I walked in I managed to catch The Dora Milaje show / display. Once the crowds cleared from that I found a spot to sit and check the App. It was now 10.30am and Web Slingers had return time on Lightning Lane of 10.45am so I bought that for $7.

I sat for a few minutes enjoying the atmosphere of Avengers Campus and then went over to Web Slingers.

Oh goodness, I loved this ride but its tiring lol. Its like an updated Toy Story Mania, where you are in a vehicle and "throw" webs at various screens as your vehicle moves around.

I have not watched any YouTube videos about this ride so I went in totally blind and no clue what I was doing or what was going on.

This was the score, I have no idea if this is good or bad

After Webslingers I walked back through Avengers Campus and out to Hollywood Land.

My next ride was Monsters Inc and then I took a look around the merchandise in Stage 17. This is now the main merchandise shop for Avengers Campus, but back when Disneyland was closed, they opened this big warehouse type building as an extra merchandise shop which could be accessed from The Esplanade.

I remember following it all online, the week it was opened and how excited all the locals were that they could kinda go into a small part California Adventures park.

Then it was something new for me , Mickeys Philharmagic 3d theatre show.

There was only about 10 people in the theatre so I was ok being in there.

I walked up Hollywood Land to Carthy Circle and I saw a Disney Photographer so I got some photos taken with the statue of Walt and Mickey.

I saw The Citizens of Buena Vista Street in the centre of the roundabout and I knew thats where Anna and Elsa appeared, so I sat on the chairs outside Starbucks to wait for them. I didnt have long to wait and I got a great video message from Elsa for my niece.

I checked the time and it was nearly 12pm so I decided to go back to Paradise Gardens and get some Lunar New Year food.

On the way, I say another Disney photographer by the big waterfall so I stopped to get more photos.

The Lunar New Year area was very crowded so I brought my food to the seating area outside Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. After my food I people watched for a while and then went into Redwood Creek Challenge Trail to see what the situition was for the Raye Meet and Greet.

They had an area roped off but they were not allowing anyone to line up. Even though it was only 1.30pm there were a lot of people hanging around and the poor CM was having a hard time keeping the walkways and entrance clear.

It was obvious it would be a popular meet and greet, so I stayed nearby and watched the CM's and managed to beat out the Annual Pass Holders and Disney Moms to be 3rd in line.

I got another great video birthday message from Raya for my niece.

After meeting Raya, I walked back to Paradise Gardens and checked the App.

It was now nearly 2.15pm and Toy Story had a return time of 3.10pm so I booked it.

While I waited I got more Lunar New Year food.

After my food I went over to Toy Story and used my Lightning Lane.

My plan was to do Radiator Springs Racers again with Single Rider but it was down.

So I just continued back into Avengers Campus. I wanted to do Web Slingers again but the standby line was over 60 minutes.

I sat and watched Loki and other characters appear on the roof of the main building and took lots of photos.

This time I walked out the entrance by Web Slingers and there was another Disney photographer by the main Avengers Campus sign so I got some more photos.

I walked back to Paradise Gardens to get the last 2 fodd items on my sip and savor pass. The area was very crowded now around 5pm, and many of the items were sold out.

While I was eating my food I managed to find a less crowded area to watch the main parade with Mulan, Tiger and various Chinese dancers and musicians.

Radiator Springs was still down and the area was getting very crowded, so after getting some fruit at the kiosk in Carsland I decided to have an early night and go back to my hotel. I left around 6pm and the park closed at 8pm.

This is my Fitbit summery of my day in California Adventures

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Loving this so far! It is getting me very excited for my trip I cannot wait to go on Web slingers, it sound like a great ride!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Loving this so far! It is getting me very excited for my trip I cannot wait to go on Web slingers, it sound like a great ride!
Thanks, the next part, Downtown Disney no park day will be updated today. I hope I'm showing things which are new, not the more typical things to do. If theres anything you want to know that I havn't covered or you want more info on something let me know

Web Slingers is interesting, I can see why some people are not liking it. Its not a traditional type of ride, its very much aimed at people who like gaming, tech and being interactive. Theres no buttons, levers, joystick, steering wheel etc like in other ride vehicles and the outcome of the ride / game depends on the virtual actions of the person.

Its very fast, all on screens, and theres a lot going on at once.

I really hope that by next trip the standby line might not have such long wait times, as I really want to do it more than once.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Thanks, the next part, Downtown Disney no park day will be updated today. I hope I'm showing things which are new, not the more typical things to do. If theres anything you want to know that I havn't covered or you want more info on something let me know

Web Slingers is interesting, I can see why some people are not liking it. Its not a traditional type of ride, its very much aimed at people who like gaming, tech and being interactive. Theres no buttons, levers, joystick, steering wheel etc like in other ride vehicles and the outcome of the ride / game depends on the virtual actions of the person.

Its very fast, all on screens, and theres a lot going on at once.

I really hope that by next trip the standby line might not have such long wait times, as I really want to do it more than once.
That ride sounds like it is made for me and my partner! I am planning to pay for it on two days assuming I like it on day one (and the standby is long). I am also so excited to see Marvel campus As well as all of Disneyland, I have only been once and I absolutely loved it!

How did you find Genie Plus? It sounds like there was lots of availability? I wonder if that will stay the same as time goes on and more people know about it.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 22, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
How did you find Genie Plus? It sounds like there was lots of availability? I wonder if that will stay the same as time goes on and more people know about it.
I am used to the Maxpass system at Disneyland, so for me I had no issues with Genie+ and Lightning Lanes. The only annoying thing is the no reride.

I love using the App, I used it so much, after almost every ride I was checking it for wait times, and what else I could in the area I was in.

For each day I had made my own touring plan and had it printed out, and I used it with the App, to really maximize my time.

I had also inputted my must do's into Genie, so I was constantly switching between My Day, Tip Board and the interactive Map. I had my location switched on, so when I clicked into the map, my location showed up. I used the filters on the map and was switching between the location of restrooms, photopass photographers, entertainment (character meets mainly ) and attractions.

I also used The Play Disney App for the first time and that was cool too, being able do interactive stuff while being in the parks.

Lightning Lanes in Disneyland, even for ROTR don't sell out like they do at Walt Disney World. This is because the majority of the people in the parks are locals who are not buying Genie+. This really benefits those of us who do buy it, as other than the Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes , very few people are using the Genie+ Lightning Lanes.

It used to be the same with Maxpass/ free Fastpass in Disneyland. There was always a low % compared to park attendance who used the Maxpass/ free Fastpass system, so those of us who did could really maximize it.
Old 15 Feb 22, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 10 Tuesday 1 February
Shopping Downtown Disney
Grand California Hotel
Disneyland Hotel

Today was my no park day. I never really spend much time in Downtown Disney and I have never been to Disneyland Hotel. The way this trip worked out, I had time to have a chill day before my last park day and I'm so glad I did.

A few weeks after I had planned this as a no park day, Disneyland announced a special Valentines event called Sweetheart Nite for 1, 3, 8, 10 and 14 February. Disneyland Main Park closed at 5pm, and to stay after 5pm you needed to pay extra for the event ticket which cost $114 per person.

As I went into Downtown Disney, the lines for California Adventures were really long and Disneyland Main Park really short.

You can find todays food report here

After my breakfast at la Brea Bakery, it was time to go shopping.

On previous trips I have such limited time at Downtown Disney that it always felt so rushed.

When the parks were closed, I remember watching all the videos and updates from locals just hanging out at Downtown Disney. I just wanted to to that to, so thats why I planned a no park day.

First up I loaded some more money onto my Spira Gift card at World of Disney.

I had a quick look around as I wanted to come back later. The one big difference is that this shop now has a one way system. The entrance is at the top , near the Esplanade and the exit is beside Starbucks.

First was The Dress Shop. This is a Disney Couture shop which sells adult Disney themed dresses and some merchandise. I would love to buy one of the dresses, but they are outside my budget, maybe some day.

Next it was Marcelines. On my previous trips, this shop is always crowded, but today it was empty and I could take a good look around. I took lots of photos of the displays, as I want to come back on my last morning and buy some treats to take home.

Then it was into Sprinkles Cupcakes.This is a specialty cupcake shop and again is very popular and always crowded. This morning it wasn't so I could get a photo of the menu.

Then into Disney Home Gift Shop. I don't remember this shop from my previous visits, either its new since 2019 or its been too crowded for me to go in. This shop is cool, so much home stuf that I would love to buy if I didn't have a weight limit on the flight home

Then next door to Wonderground Gallery. This is more of a Disney Art shop but they do have merchandise thats not in other shops.

I took a break and sat for a while at the bridge part of Downtown Disney, near The Lego Store.

It was so nice just to sit in the sun, and soak up the atmosphere. I loved the shops being empty, and being able to take my time and not have to rush.

Once I was rested, it was time to continue exploring and on to Disneyland Hotel.

Earl of Sandwich and the second Starbucks have now closed and that whole stretch of buildings is due to be demolished and rebuilt. One of my concerns was that the construction would affect the security and bag check area at the hotel end of Downtown Disney but it does not. They just have the buildings blocked off.

So then it was something new to me, leaving Downtown Disney and across to Disneyland Hotel. I never realized how close it was to the bag check area at the end of Downtown Disney.

I hadnt checked the layout on Google Maps, so I just started walking and following the signs.

I had always been a bit confused when I saw people online talk about the Adventure Tower and Frontier Tower but now, walking around I figured it out. The Disneyland Hotel is actually 3 separate buildings, with the pool area and Trader Sams and Tangaroa Terrace in the middle.

I kept walking and found myself in The Rose Garden area, which I suddenly recognized from Disney's Fairytale Weddings series on Disney+

After a good look around, I headed back to the main part of the hotel. My plan was to try the Dole Whip with Rum at Tangaroa Terrace.

After I got my Dole whip I decided to walk over to a shady part and sit on a wall to eat it.

I hadnt realized by I was actually at the back of Goofys Kitchen restaurant. I was just starting to eat my Dole Whip, when Goofy and Minnie walked by.

They actually stayed just beside me for about 10 minutes, and then went in a back door to the restaurant.

After my unexpected interactions with Goofy and Minnie, I continued on to the front of the restaurant and then into the hotel shop.

This shop is one of the largest Disney Hotel shops I have been in, theres so much merchandise in here as well as Disneyland Hotel merchandise.

After having a good look around, I bought some things and then I spotted a pin trading board. I had forgotten I had put some trading pins in my bag.

I have about 10 pins I keep for trading on every Disney trip. I collect Tinkerbell and Pirates pins but I don't really find much of them. My main goal on each trip is to trade out my 10 pins and get 10 new pins, and its a bonus if I get a pin to keep and add to my collection.

Pin trading is kinda controversial. A lot of the pins are scrappers/ counterfeit pins. I use pinpics website to check which are real pins and which are scrappers/ counterfeit pins. While I only buy real pins from Disney parks or Disney stores, I will retrade any scrappers/ counterfeit pins that I get.

I wasn't sure if pin trading is back at Disneyland, it is but there are changes. You can now only trade from pin boards and the CM's dont handle the pins. You take a pin off the board and you replace it with one of your pins. The CM's are not wearing pins on their lanyards.

Next it was back into Downtown Disney as I had a reservation at Craftsman Grill.

On my way back through Downtown Disney, I did some pin trading at the Pin Traders shop beside The Monorail and took some photos at Star Traders shop. They have the seat from The Book of Bobba Fett outside the shop.

I walked back up through Downtown Disney and into the Grand California Hotel.

This hotel is themed very different to Disneyland Hotel. Its a very natural wood, forest type theme. The lobby area is amazing, a huge open space with lots of comfy chairs and a big open fire.

I had some time before my reservation so I had a look in the shop and again did some pin trading.

After my food at Craftsman Bar, I sat for a few minutes near the security check area and watched the Monorail go by.

To go back into Downtown Disney from the Grand California Hotel you need to go through security bag check.

I could defiantly notice the difference in the crowds after I came out of The Grand California Hotel. It was much busier than in the morning. I decided to see if World of Disney was still quiet, it was so I spent ages having a good look around. They also had a pin board so I did some more pin trading.

Once I was done in World of Disney I went back to the Esplanade and sat on one of the seating areas. It was just after 5pm and the lines for people going to Sweetheart Nite were almost back to the Monorail and there was a big stream of people leaving the Main park and going over to California Adventures and Downtown Disney.

I decided to have a early night and go back to my hotel.
Old 17 Feb 22, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 11 Wednesday 2 February
Disneyland Main Park

Today was my last park day. I got my breakfast again from the shop at Tropicana hotel. I had the coffee as I walked to Disney bag check security and kept the parfait to eat later.

I was scanned into the park at 7.30am and decided to go to the seating area at Jolly Holiday Bakery to watch the rope drop madness and eat my parfait.

You can find the rest of todays food here

Once the rope drop crowd had cleared through Adventureland, I walked in and went straight to Pirates and Haunted Mansion which were both walk on's.
At 9am, I checked the App and saw that Indiana Jones had an immediate return time for Lightning Lane, so I booked it and went in.

I had been reading trip reports about the Indiana Jones Lightning Lane and how it does not give that much advantage.

I agree, the merge point is at the old Fastpass merge point, which is outside. You still have all the inside queueing areas to go through, even with Lightning Lane. Thats why I decided to do it early in the morning, even though the wait time was 20 minutes. It meant that I got straight into the indoor queuing area which was almost empty and straight to the up and over stairs. I didn't even have to wait and watch the pre show video.

After Indiana Jones, I left Adentureland through the Frontierland entrance. I wanted to see what Princesses were in the FantasyFaire meet and Greet area, to see if I could get another video message for my niece.

Elena of Avalon was out, and not many people were around here, so I got a good video message from her.

Then I went the back way from FantasyFaire into Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. This is the princess makeover shop for children. The makeovers are not available at the moment, its just the shop part thats open.

I walked through Fantasyland and the wait times were too high for me so I kept walking over to ToonTown.

On my way to Toontown I saw Wendy, Jasmine and The Genie at the stage area near Its A Small World.

This was another on my list of must do's for this trip. Toontown will be closing soon and wont reopen until 2023. The construction of Minnie and Mickeys Runaway Railway is halfway, so they need to close the land to complete the construction and re do other areas.

I have never really spent much time in Toontown as there are always so many kids just running around. It was less crowded today so I managed to get on Gadgets Go Coaster, which I have never been on. This is a very short small rollercoaster which on my previous visits always has long wait times.

I sat at the fountain area in the centre for a few minutes and then I noticed CM activity at Minnie's House so I went over and asked. They said that Minnie would be out in about 15 minutes, so I decided to wait.

Minnie appeared on the porch of her house and I was able to get some selfies.

I then walked down to Roger Rabbit. I went into the queue line but then came straight out, why wait in line when I can get an immediate return time with Lightning Lane, and there is no one in the Lightning Lane waiting area

After Rodger Rabbit, I was getting a bit hungry so I went to Edelweiss Snacks just under The Monorail track for some food. I had never eaten from this snack kiosk as again it usually has long lines as it sells the very popular turkey legs.

There is a seating area behind Edelweiss Snacks that most people miss. Its actually the leftover docking area of a long gone boat ride around the lagoon and now has tables and chairs under a covering / awning. Its a great place to take a time out in a shady place out of the sun.

After my food and rest, I went into Tomorrowland and refilled my water bottle at the filtered tap at Galactic Grill.

I checked the App and saw that the Monorail had a low wait time so I walked over. The Monorail at Disneyland is more an attraction that a means of transport, as it it just does a loop from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney and back.

My favorite place to ride the Monorail is in the front part with the driver, but due to Covid restrictions they are not doing that. I asked about riding in the end part, which is almost exactly the same as the drivers area but again this was not available either. I eventually found an empty carriage for the journey from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney.

The Monorail at Disneyland starts at Tomorrowland, then goes along the side of Disney property along Harbour Boulevard, then into California Adventures and The Grand California Hotel and then the stop at Downtown Disney.

I stayed on for the return journey back to Tomorrowland which goes down to almost Disneyland Hotel, then loops back to Disneyland Main Park, across the Esplanade, around the side of Tomorrowland at Harbour Boulevard, then into the side of Fantasyland, around Autopia track and back to the station at Tomorrowland.

The Monorail at Disneyland has short opening times, usually in the summer it closes between 12pm and 6pm as there is no air conditioning and the temperature in the carriages gets really high.

After the Monorail I decided to have another new snack, the famous Corn Dog. Everyone talks about how this snack is a must do and the place to get it is The Little Red Wagon beside The Plaza restaurant.

When I walked out of Tomorrowland I saw the walk up line at The Little Red Wagon was really long, but when I checked the App, mobile ordering had an almost immediate collection time available, so I found nearby bench and did mobile ordering. I sat on the bench and people watched until my order was ready and then brought it over to a bench at The Hub in front of The Castle to eat it.

This was something else I had been dreaming about during the long months of the park being closed and the travel ban, to sit on a bench in front of The Castle and just soak up the atmosphere, sights and sounds.

As I was just ready to leave, I heard some music and a short cavalcade of characters on the Main Street Transportation vehicles came by on the Tomorrowland side of The Hub.

After sitting for a while I was ready to go for a walk, so I decided to walk up Main Street on The Jolly Holiday side, through the shops and up to the entrance. I saw on the App that there was a Disney Photographer at the main entrance, but by the time I got there, they were gone.

It was about 3pm and as I walked back down Main Street I checked the App and saw that Buzz Lightyear had an almost immediate Lightning Lane return time so I booked it. When I got there I saw that Star Tours was a walk on, so I went into Star Tours and then did Buzz Lightning Lane.

After Buzz , I checked the App and saw that the train at Tomorrowland had a low wait time. By the time I walked there it was just arriving and there was not many people waiting so I got on.

I took the train to New Orleans Square and as I got off I saw that both Haunted Mansion and Pirates had long wait times, so I continued walking to Galaxys Edge.

It was now 4.30pm and Rise of The Resistance had a return time of 5pm so I bought the Lightning Lane for $20.

I walked down to Droid Depot and sat on a wall and did some more games on The Play Disney App and took some great day time photos of Galaxys Edge.

I walked back to Rise of The Resistance for my 5pm redeem time. When I got there I saw that there were a lot of people using the Lightning Lane, so I sat for a while at the entrance and waited until a lot of the 5pm Lightning Lane people had gone through. The whole point of Lightning Lane for me is to almost walk on the ride, so I preferred to sit on the wall and wait, instead of standing and waiting in the Lightning Lane.

After Rise of The Resistance I walked down to Millennium Falcon and did it twice in a row using single rider. Both times there was no one else using single rider and both times I was placed immediately in a group as engineer.

By now it was after 6pm and time for some food at Docking Bay 7. Inside was too crowded for me, so I brought my food to the outside tables area.

While I eating my food, I checked the App and saw that Big Thunder Mountain had a return time for 6.45pm so I booked it.

I left Galaxys Edge through the Frontierland Land entrance and went straight to Big Thunder Mountain.

After Big Thunder Mountain I got some mango slices at the fruit kiosk for later.

Disneyland closed tonight at 8pm and as I was walking through Frontierland I saw the night time projections in the distance. Once the Christmas season ends, Disneyland only has fireworks at weekends until the summer season. As today was Wednesday, they had the projections and music part of the night time show one hour before park closing.

As I walked to The Castle and The Hub, there was a big stream of people coming out of Fantasyland through the Castle so I continued walking around the side of The Castle and into Fantasyland by the Teacups.

I saw a Disney photographer and decided to get some last photos by The Teacups.

Fantasyland was very crowded and Peter Pan had very long lines so I say by The Carousel and just soaked up the atmosphere for the last time. As I sat, I noticed people taking photos of The Carousel each time it stopped. I turned around and found that when The Carousel stopped each time, Jingles, The Mary Poppins Horse was right behind me.

This horse is the original lead horse on The Carousel. When Disneyland opened in 1955, Walt named all the horse and gave this horse the name Jingles. In 2008, when all the horses and The Carousel were refreshed and given make overs, Jingles makeover was dedicated to Julie Andrews and her initials JA as well as the gold leaf bells were added as part of the new decorations.

I stayed at The Carousel until 8pm and then it was finally time to leave.

I walked down Main Street through the shops and did some shopping on my way out.

I got back to my hotel about 9pm.

My Fitbit Summery

Edited at 12:15 PM.
Old 18 Feb 22, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 12 Thursday 3 February
Downtown Disney
Check Out Tropicana Hotel
Check In Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles International Airport North

Today was my last day in Anaheim. I had a good sleep this morning but as a result I was later going down to the coffee shop in Tropicana Hotel and the parfait was sold out. I got a coffee and yoghurt instead and went back to my room to pack.

You can find the rest of todays food report here

Check out at Tropicana Hotel is 11am. I packed my carry on and checked bags almost ready for flying but moved some things from my carry on to my locked checked bag.

I also checked into Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles International Airport North using the Hilton App. Again I was able to choose my room. However the hotel must have been busy, as I couldn't get the same room as on my arrival. I got the same general area, on the same floor, but a different layout.

At 11am I took one last look at the room and went over to the lobby. I left my bags at the bag store and was given reclaim tags for my bags.

My pick up with Midwilshuttle was booked for 2pm so I had a few hours for Downtown Disney.

The security and bag check lines were empty and the park lines didn't seem too long either.

First was World of Disney. As I had found from my previous visits, its a one way system with the entrance at The Esplanade side, so it made sense to go through here, shop and then continue on through Downtown Disney.

Next was Marcelines to buy some snacks to take home. I have never done this and had previously asked on Disboards for suggestions. As the shop was empty I had plenty of time to have a good look at everything. I opened the thread on Disboards on my phone and had a look at everything suggested.

This is what I bought
  • Goofys Candy - Character Gummies, as I don't like sour candy
  • Strawberry Cake Pop
  • Apple Pie Apple
  • Strawberry Chocolate Rice Krispie

I spent $30.96 which was slightly over my budget of $25.

I was starting to get hungry now, and I saw that the Ralph Brennans Express was empty so I got some food from there. After I finished my food, I kept the container. I also didnt eat all the beignets and kept 2 for later.

Time had gone fast and it was nearly 1pm so I went back to The Esplanade and sat for a few minutes, not wanting to leave.

As I walked past the entrance turnstiles I saw that they were very quiet. I took a chance and asked one of the gate CM's could I take one last photo from the turnstile of the train station, as it was very quiet.

The CM was lovely and volunteered to take a photo of me. I wasn't expecting this and hadn't asked as I know its new Disney policy that since Covid CM's are not supposed to take photos for guests using the guests phone or camera.

So here you go, a rare photo of me, in the California sun, as I left Disneyland.

I walked back to Tropicana Hotel and collected my bags. Theres a seating area outside the lobby where I waited for Midwilshuttle.

At 1.30pm I got a notification the car was on the way and exactly at 2pm, the car arrived.

It was hard to leave Anaheim and of course we got stuck in traffic so it was after 3pm by the time we got to the LAX area.

Again , even though I had checked in with the App I had to confirm my credit card at the front desk and get a normal room key.

The room number was 516, and had a long entrance instead of the door opening into the suite area.

This was more what I expected from a King room.

After settling in I decided to sort out the snack I bought from Marcelines for travel to Ireland.
  • The Goofys Candy was just fine, so pack it as it was in my checked bag.
  • The strawberry cake pop I removed from the stick and put it into a leftover container from the sliced mango snack from the night before.
  • The apple pie apple I cut into pieces and put it into a bag.
  • The rice krispie treat I put into the left over container from the Gumbo from Ralph Brennen's Express, which I had washed out.
I packed everything except the cut up apple in my checked bag. The bag of cut apple I had in my carry on bag.

I resorted my checked bag and my carry on bag for the flights and got my clothes ready for my travel home. Time to take out the layers and heavy hoodie for cold Ireland

I also started my flight check in process and did the Passenger Locator Form for return to Ireland.

Theres no onsite food options, but you can order from nearby restaurants and they will deliver to your room. I didn't bother and just finished up my left over snacks, fruit and beignets.

I got an early night as my flight was at 9am and I wanted to get to the airport early in case there were delays at check in.
Old 19 Feb 22, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 13 Friday 4 February
Check out Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles International Airport North
Flight LAX to JFK
Flight JFK to Dublin
Finally home

My flight was scheduled to leave LAX at 9am so I wanted to get to the airport early. My first flight was a US domestic flight but I knew I would have to show my documents and check in at the check in desk and I didn't know how busy the airport would be and if there would be delays due to checking the extra documents.

I decided to leave the hotel at 6am, just as the breakfast buffet was starting.

As a result, I didnt have time to get food at the hotel, so I just used the room coffee maker to make coffee.

You can find the rest of todays food report here

When I was ready I checked out using the App and came down to the hotel lobby.

I checked the weight of my checked bag on the scales in the lobby, phew 21 kg , just under the allowed 23 kg.

The free hotel shuttle bus to LAX arrived within a few minutes, and it was time to face reality and leave LA.

I was leaving from Terminal 2 LAX and it was busy. I found a Delta staff member who was directing people t use the self service check in kiosks. When I said I was going to to Ireland, I was directed to the check in desk which had a short line.

At the check in desk, once my passport was scanned and the Delta check person had all the info pop up onto the screen. I was asked to show my Irish Passenger Locator Form and my Vaccine Cert.

Once the Delta check person went through all the screens and verified my documents, I got my 2 boarding passes and my bag was checked all the way to Dublin.

Next it was onto the TSA security check and a new experience for me. I followed everyone through the roped lines, expecting to go up the escalator, but instead the people in front of me were funneled to a side area and I followed them.

The security people had decided to ease the crowds by putting a group of us together for preclearance. This meant we didn't have to take off shoes or take out our bag of liquids to speed things up when we went upstairs.

Instead we had to walk two by two through an area and a security dog would inspect us instead. Ok, cool, interesting.

So when they were ready, we walked slowly in two lines past the dog and up the escalator.

Then it was through the normal security check, boarding pass scanned and electronics only taken out for the scanner machines.

I was through to the main terminal concourse a lot faster than I had expected and the flight before mine was boarding at my gate.

I decided to have a walk around and get some food.

Terminal 2 main concourse was busy, so I went upstairs to the lounge level and found some seats in a quieter area.

About 30 minutes before my flight was due to start boarding I got some coffee from Starbucks and went to my gate.

Boarding was uneventful and again like on my arrival flights, the domestic flight was full and I had a seatmate.

I had kept my earphones from my arrival flights so I was able to use the in flight entertainment. Most people were not using it as on Delta Domestic Flights you have to pay for the earphones.

Landing at JFK was fine, but the pilot, when doing the welcome to JFK announcement, said welcome to winter I hope you have brought coats!

I had plenty of time at JFK between flights, so again I went for a walk all through the terminal, freshened up and got some food.

Boarding for my transatlantic flight was a bit of a drama but it all worked out.

On the terminal screens it said Gate 28. But in the App it said Gate 32. About an hour before boarding was due to start I went to both Gates, which had Virgin staff from previous flights to Heathrow.

The Virgin staff at both gates had no idea about my Delta flight and said just to check the screens.

I asked at the Delta helpdesk and they said to check the screens.

I noticed other confused people doing the same thing, going between Gate 28 and Gate 32 and the Delta help desk.

I decided to just sit at Gate 28 and see what happened. About 40 minutes before boarding was due to start, the Virgin staff finished up their paper work and a Delta staff
member arrived. He started doing paperwork and logging into the computer. There was nothing on the Gate screen but anyone who asked him, he said yes, this would be the Dublin flight. Then the flight crew turned up, but then I looked out the window and there was no plane.

The flight crew scanned their passes and went through the doors and down the ramp. I assumed they were picked up by a bus and brought out to the plane.

Still waiting for a plane to pull up at the gate and there is still just the one Delta staff printing out stuff and on the phone. After about 15 minutes, the flight crew come back through the doors, wait what, they are still here and still no plane!

The Captain gets on the phone and suddenly there is a flurry of movement and the Delta guy starts gathering up all the computer print outs. Theres a Gate change announcement in the terminal and I feel my phone buzzing with a notification.

We are all off to Gate 44!

I see a mad dash of passengers from various parts of the terminal, but I don't stress, I walk just behind the flight crew. After all the plane is not going anywhere without the flight crew!

At Gate 44, I look out the window and finally a plane and the flight crew go straight through the doors.

After all that excitement, once boarding starts and I get on the plane, its almost empty. Theres big sections of empty seats so I know on this flight I wont have a seat mate.

I am so tired at this stage, that once we get the main meal I get comfortable, pull up the arm rest and stretch out on the row and fall asleep.

I wake up about an hour before landing, just in time for the snack and drink service.

Landing at Dublin was uneventful but looked cold and grey, typical early February weather.

As the plane was almost empty, it didnt take long to get off and into the terminal. I could feel the chill in the air and I was not happy

At passport check, they asked for my vaccine cert and scanned it and then it on to bag reclaim.

As we arrived at Terminal 2 in Dublin, it was just a short walk.

While I waited for my bag, I overheard some of the other passengers talking about how bumpy the flight was. Goodness I must have been in a deep sleep as I didnt feel anything!

My bag came out fast and then it was a short walk through arrivals and out to the taxi pick up area.

I was so so cold but luckily I didnt have to wait long for a taxi and soon I was on my way home.
Old 19 Feb 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Sad this is over. Great trip! Getting more and more excited for mine now 🙂