Old 24 Feb 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Seattle to WDC in 6 weeks

It all started in March 2020, with our return flight being moved by 4 hours to the last flight out of Miami before the airport closed due to Covid = free PE flights.

We already had a road trip planned for the West Coast in June and an East Coast one in September 2020 = both cancelled.

We then had the delight of dealing with US Customs and Border Patrol who had no record of us leaving Miami, our passports were not scanned upon us leaving. Lots of emails between them, us and UK Immigration before the US CBP accepted that we had indeed left as our ESTAs had expired as opposed been cancelled = 2 years to get that one solved. New ones took 15 minutes to organise.

Flights booked easily for August, not so easy with travel insurance but after a bit of stress, all sorted now. Full steam ahead and in 3 days have arranged the following:

4 nights in Seattle – all new to us
fly to San Francisco - pick up car
3 nights in Cambria – love Cambria to relax by the ocean
1 nights in Solvang – Ostrich Land and wine tasting
2 nights in Henderson but banking on booking the Carriage House in Vegas nearer the time – Red Rock Canyon, Skywalk, Valley of Fire etc
3 nights in Springdale – Zion National Park
2 nights – Monument Valley
2 nights in Williams – train ride into Grand Canyon
3 nights in Palm Springs – Joshua Tree, Tramway
5 nights in San Diego – zoo, safari park, Bilbao Park, Point Lomo etc
fly to Boston
4 nights in North Conway – Flume Gorge
3 nights in Bar Harbor – Acadia NP
4 nights in Wells – lots of beaches and lighthouses
fly to Washington
5 nights in Washington DC - museums etc

Fly home - I think we may need a holiday!

Edited at 03:34 PM.
AlexE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

And I am doing all the driving!
Old 25 Feb 22, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
JanetA
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Looks like an amazing trip, the longest road trip we ever did in the USA was 35 days on our Harley Davidson which we shipped out to Chicago and rode to The Badlands then onto Sturgis South Dakota, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley then Colorado to Milwaukee Wisconsin then back to Chicago, I think with all the side trips we covered just short of 11,000 miles and only saw one hour of rain ( very important on a motorcycle ) would love to do it again on a Motorcycle but too complicated now to take your own motorcycle across and too hire one is far or expensive
JanetA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 22, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Sounds amazing!
Old 8 Jun 22, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
Seattle to WDC in 6 weeks - UPDATE!

Following on from my wifes thread - AlexE - we have now finally agreed on what our upcoming trip will now look like!

August 8 - Fly with Virgin to Seattle for 4 nights, staying at the Mayflower Park Hotel.

August 12 - Fly to Seattle to San Francisco and pick up hire car. Drive to Cambria via the PCH for 3 nights, staying at the Sea Otter inn.

August 15 - Long drive to Las Vegas where we intend to visit the Skywalk and Red Rock Canyon. Staying at the Carriage House.

August 18 - Drive to Zion National Park, staying at the Bumbleberry inn.

August 21 - Drive to Monument Valley, staying at the View Hotel in Monument Valley itself. Really looking forward to that one!

August 23 - Drive to Williams, staying at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Train into the Grand Canyon.

August 25 - Drive to Palm Springs, staying at the Best Western Las Brias. Aerial Tramway and Joshua Tree while there.

August 28 - Drive to San Diego via Berrago Springs. Staying at the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island.

September 2 - Overnight flight to Boston Logan airport.

September 3 - After landing pick up car and drive to Stowe in Vermont, staying at the Brass Lantern Inn b&b.

September 6 - Drive to North Conway in New Hampshire, staying at the Comfort Inn and Suites.

September 8 - Drive to Bar Harbour in Maine, staying at the Atlantic Eyre Lodge.

September 11 - Drive to Wells-Ogunquit, staying at the Wells-Ogunquit Motel and Suites.

September 13 - Drive to Boston Logan for flight to Washington DC where we will be staying the State Plaza for 5 nights.

September 18 - Flight back to Heathrow arriving on September 19

Lots of return visits on that trip but also a few first!
Old 8 Jun 22, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sounds fantastic
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

What are you plans in Seattle? I have 2 nights 1 full day in the city and then I take the Amrak sleeper train to LA Union station.

Your hotel is more central than mine, I have booked a hotel near the train station so that I can walk there on my departure morning.

I have booked the shared shuttle service from the airport to my hotel.

I have booked the hop on hop off bus tour to get an overview.

I have been watching YouTube videos about Pike Place Market and recommendations for various things in the market.

Edited at 11:55 AM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
What are you plans in Seattle? I have 2 nights 1 full day in the city and then I take the Amrak sleeper train to LA Union station.

Your hotel is more central than mine, I have booked a hotel near the train station so that I can walk there on my departure morning.

I have booked the shared shuttle service from the airport to my hotel.

I have booked the hop on hop off bus tour to get an overview.

I have been watching YouTube videos about Pike Place Market and recommendations for various things in the market.
We are hoping to visit the Space Needle, Pike Market and Chihuly Glass. The aquarium is not far from the hotel either.
We are using the light train from the airport to Westlake centre as the hotel is only a few minutes walk.
Old 8 Jun 22, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
We are hoping to visit the Space Needle, Pike Market and Chihuly Glass. The aquarium is not far from the hotel either.
We are using the light train from the airport to Westlake centre as the hotel is only a few minutes walk.
I looked at taking the light rail, but I am a solo female and my flight lands at night so I didnt want to use public transport and walk alone in the dark.

Theres so much in Pike Place, its a lot bigger than I thought, theres some really good walk through videos with great recommendations of which food places to try.

One tip I did see is about the original / first Starbucks in Pike Place. The lines are huge, think Disney type lines, so take the photos but go to Starbucks Reserve Roastery, 1124 Pike Street which is a far more interesting and unique Starbucks, with drinks and food not found in the generic normal Starbucks.

Another tip I found is that you can get a Dole Whip , one of the few few places outside Disney, in Rachels Ginger Beer in Pike Place Market.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We are really looking forward to Pike Market and wondering if its a bit like Quincy Market in Boston with lots of different things to do and see. Not coffee fans (weird I know) so definitely will be avoiding Starbucks Might have to search out the dole whip though

We havent planned doing the hopon-hopoff bus which we would usually do in a new city, as we have 3 full days to explore. Apart from the Needle, Chihuly Glass and Pike Market we are playing by ear.

Hope you have a fab trip and enjoy the sleeper down to LA.