Notices

View Poll Results: Which universal hotel?
Hard Rock 37 30.83%
Portofino Bay 21 17.50%
Royal Pacific 62 51.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Feb 22, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
keely21
Very Serious Dibber

Which universal hotel

Planning on staying in one overnight just for the express passes but which one? Which one is closest to the parks and which one has the best pool? Hard Rock, Royal Pacific or portofino Bay?
Old 27 Feb 22, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Have only stayed in RPR. Believe that HRH is marginally the closest with RPR second and PBH being the furthest out.
I believe that PBH is supposed to have the best pool (could be subjective). RPR doesn’t have a water slide so my kids would consider it the worst (but they liked the splash pad when they visited 3 years ago).
Old 27 Feb 22, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Everybody seems to say HRH is nearest, personally I think Royal Pacific is, but there is nothing it really. Portofino Bay is further.

I have previously stayed at RPR and Portofino. If I were going for one night, I would not worry about it too much and book whichever of the three is the cheapest.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 22, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would book the cheapest but RPR is the only one we’ve stayed at and it’s lovely.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We stay at RPR as it is the cheapest. It is a lovely hotel. If you are only staying for one night, you may not even get to use the pool as if there is a storm in the area, they close the pools. I don't think that would sway my decision for a one night stay.
If there is any one of the 3 of them nearer the parks, there is only a matter of 5 minutes in the difference.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 02:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Hard rock is nearest to Universal Studios. Royal Pacific is nearest to IOA.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Only stayed Royal Pacific one night, however booked again 2 nights this year, beautiful hotel.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BebeYorkshire
Apprentice Imagineer

I didn't really like Hard Rock. It had some cool memorabilia but other than that it felt a bit cold. The room was fine though and bed was comfy. I really didn't like the strong scent that they pumped through the common areas, it gave me a really sore throat.

Royal Pacific on the other hand was beautiful. I much preferred the decor and the feel of the hotel overall. It was equally as comfortable room wise, though it felt bigger than the one at Hard Rock.

Distance from the parks wise, its about the same.

It comes down to personal preference really but I don't quite understand why Hard Rock tends to be more expensive.
BebeYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We love hard rock and always stay there.
Hotel is great, love the music round the pool and the staff are always great..but with the works we didn’t want to risk it incase it went over (supposed to finish in July I think) so booked RPR.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We've stayed at all three for stays of up to a week when doing the Universal parks, and they're all lovely - money spent on hotels goes a lot further at Universal than it does at Disney.

As others have said - all three are close to the parks, so proximity shouldn't form part of your decision.

For a classic "one night for two days Express" stay, it probably comes down to price and choosing whichever is the cheapest for your stay. It is generally the Royal Pacific, but not always. I was looking at some dates a few days ago where Portofino Bay was the cheapest of the three.

We did a few days at Universal last week, and it was the first time we've ever done so without having Express (we were on a non-parks holiday in a villa, but bought Universal annual passes on an impulse) and having Express really does spoil you - we'll not be making the same mistake again - and will always stay in these hotels for future visits!

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 10:37 AM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List