Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 16 Mar 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Looking for tips on choosing passwords that you can remember

I am fed up with my iPad telling me that my passwords have appeared in a data leak, even the ones I have changed very recently.

How do you choose safe passwords and remember them, especially as an iPad does not “remember” passwords for apps. I am in a situation now that my bank app wants me to put in the password and there is no way I can remember it. 😩
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I am fed up with my iPad telling me that my passwords have appeared in a data leak, even the ones I have changed very recently.

How do you choose safe passwords and remember them, especially as an iPad does not “remember” passwords for apps. I am in a situation now that my bank app wants me to put in the password and there is no way I can remember it. 😩
Use a password manager, have one very strong password for that, then create new passwords for everything and store them in the password manager.

Generally speaking, its now recommended to use pass phrases, something like dibbpostermarch then use a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and a special character.

Then instead of trying to remember passwords, you log in and copy and paste from the password manager.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MilliesFairy
Proud to wear my Ears

Can you pick one word and number that you will remember and then add a word to do with what you are using. For example if you chose the word Pen and number 2 you could then have Pen2bank, Pen2Amazon etc. Then if there is a data leak you only need to change one password.
MilliesFairy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

My works latest advice is to use a sentence or phrase.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

There's not a single day that I don't forget a password,I change them constantly as I'm forever getting locked out😳
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I use a line from a favourite song and take the first letter from each word. I then change one of the letters for a number or special character(so an I for a 1 or !; a S for a 5 or $ or a O for a 0 etc etc). It then makes me happy to have a little sing song in my head as I'm entering passwords. I do have a few different ones I use but I tend to remember them OK.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
There's not a single day that I don't forget a password,I change them constantly as I'm forever getting locked out😳
Someone after my own heart.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 22, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
My works latest advice is to use a sentence or phrase.
I can see that working. Thanks.
Old 19 Mar 22, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
reddwarfposse5
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
I use a line from a favourite song and take the first letter from each word. I then change one of the letters for a number or special character(so an I for a 1 or !; a S for a 5 or $ or a O for a 0 etc etc). It then makes me happy to have a little sing song in my head as I'm entering passwords. I do have a few different ones I use but I tend to remember them OK.
I work in IT and this is what I do (but with a phrase from a TV programme). Absolutely no chance anyone can guess it or even if they watch what you type, they would never remember it.
Old 19 Mar 22, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I have a random letter sequence and I prefix it with initials of whatever org the password is for. For my Apple ID I used to use the first line of an old address, but then I forgot it and lost track and I am now constantly resetting it. Switching between devices means I have some saved by my phone and others by my laptop and I never know which! I choose an IPhone specifically because the fingerprint recognition is good and it’s the only way I maintain access to my banking!
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List