Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 Apr 22, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a fantastic trip- a great start 🙂
DisneyMemories is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Haha I love Toby's face in those photos!

Sorry you had the hassle of paying extra and hope you can get it sorted out as soon as you get back.

Your food looked infinitely better than we had on our BA to Tampa. We both left half of it. Well done for photos though Share the food photo sentiments - you're far more likely to find wildlife photos in my reports

Enjoy Toronto!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
techdan2002
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Great start, looking forward to more

Love that Dan seemed more interested in his pint than the Hooters Girl Or was it in act

P.S. I had song titles for each day of my 2014 report

This is the only part of the holiday I can legally drink, still another year and a half until I can in the States…
techdan2002 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
After all your cancellations and changes of plans it's great to read that despite a few hiccups you are now on foreign land! Looking forward to reading along.
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby B
VIP Dibber

Following along… looking forward to the next installment!
Libby B is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Toby was definitely not impressed 🤣

So glad you finally got there and I’m looking forward to following along
Old 9 Apr 22, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Thankyou, Claire.. and likewise yourselves.

Looking forward to your impressions of Boston and I really do recommend those two Restaurants in my trip report. They were both well located and excellent for both quality and price.

Sail Loft.
Joes waterfront diner.
Sail Loft on the list already
Thanks 😀

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Hope you managed to get some sleep before your adventures, I’m usually up stupid o’clock anyway so I’ll check back later to hear about your day! Any must-sees in Toronto?
Old 9 Apr 22, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Hope you managed to get some sleep before your adventures, I’m usually up stupid o’clock anyway so I’ll check back later to hear about your day! Any must-sees in Toronto?
Toronto has things to see, but I would never describe it as a ‘go to’ place.
It was on our list, purely for Niagara Falls. Stand by for the updates later and hopefully I can explain my thinking!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

DAY 3 AND INTO TORONTO.. or ‘
BIG YELLOW TAXI’ by Joni Mitchell (it’s the lyrics that matter).

Well, I was fighting jet lag from waking up at 0400 until the rest woke up at 0630. It was a pack up and then a dash for breakfast (Complimentary) and then into a Courtesy Bus to the airport concourse at 0900. All went without a hitch and we were on the ‘UP’ metro station for 0925, having previously purchased a family pass, for $25ca online. The Station could have been sister to the one at Gatwick, linking N to S.. The train ran on two lines, though, taking 25 minutes and delivering us right into the heart of Toronto, the magnificent Union Station.

An ‘UP’ train.

Union Station.

Toronto is big… very big and the best starting point could only be ….. Tourist Information within the Station Lobby. There, a lovely lady gave us maps, Station, Toronto and Ontario, before pointing out directions. There were several people who were clearly homeless within the lobby and then, once onto the street, King St West and then Yonge, there were many more, several lying unmoving on their backs in the middle of the sidewalk with heavily dilated pupils. It was an unimpressive start to the Toronto experience, having to walk round them and just a bit of a shock. We also saw what appeared human faeces on the sidewalk. This was not the Toronto that Dan had so vividly enthused about!
Our Hotel, One King West however, was very impressive and rather opulent. We had booked a room with twin doubles and a request for a roll away single bed.

The reception told us that the room allocated was too small for a rollaway on health and safety concerns and that she could not switch our room as the Hotel was full. For a Hotel rated one of the top 3 in Toronto, I was somewhat taken aback, but knowing that both the Maple Leafs (Hockey) and the Blue Jays (Baseball) were playing at home later, I could only believe her.

We left our bags at Concierge, headed out and straight to the CN Tower. It was hard to miss, given its huge size.. tallest freestanding standing structure in the Western Hemisphere, I am reliably informed by Dan, previous visitor and Toronto guide.

We parted with our $205ca and were soon at Observation Tower Level, a mere 1100 feet above ground. We had also paid for and we’re later to ascend a further 350 feet to the Skypod, just a further 300 feet from the very top. The views were astonishing!

Union Railway Turntable and sheds.

After an hour and a bit, we were down and heading to the Turntable to see the preserved Railway Locomotives.

A Canadian National 4-8-4 railway loco 6213… at a rough guess.

I received an email from the One King West, reporting that our room was ready … then it was a return to our room.
The Receptionist was right. Our room was small, but very well appointed and immaculately clean. There was in our minds, plenty of room for a Rollaway and we phoned up.. to be further disappointed. We would just have to make the best of it!

Soon, it was time for food and once more, we were in the ‘Safe hands’ of Dan, who recommended ‘The Eaton Center Mall. We moved down to Reception and seeing a new Receptionist, I decided to try my luck.
I explained our issue and without complaining, relying on charm. She agreed that it was an unfortunate situation that was beyond her control, agreed that one of us would be uncomfortable, agreed that the City would be much quieter tomorrow night and agreed that she may well have spare and more suitable rooms…
We will be moved by the Porters tomorrow afternoon into a one bedroom suite with a King size bed in one room, a fold out bed settee in the other room and a Rollaway bed on the floor.. at no charge.

We were happy with the room change and were in a much better mood as we went to have a look at Toronto City Hall and Square. The sun had even come out!

The Old City Hall.. Gothic Architecture, I believe!

The New City Hall.. Brutalist, I believe.. and with a melted Ice Rink in front.

Then it was into Eaton Mall. I can only liken it to Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) on steroids. It was immense, 5 floors of shopping and a massive eating mall in the basement with in excess of 50 outlets

I went for Loaded fries (Bacon and Cheese plus Cheese Curds that I really did not like and picked out), washed down by Sprite and a triple scoop Ice Cream Tub (Forest Fruits, Strawberry and Pineapple that I liked a great deal). Awesomely healthy food.. and well priced.

My weight watchers fries.

Matt’s Burger.. He wouldn’t wait for a photograph.

Then it was back to the Hotel and… relax!

Initial impressions of Toronto.

It is expensive and everything is nickel and dimes.. worse than the Mouse!
It is very concrete with no trees, a paved paradise (hence reference to ‘Big Yellow Taxi).
It has very rich people and also a real homeless problem.
In honesty, it all seems rather soulless and not a patch on vibrant Calgary.

And now a question… I am not an expert in plumbing and bathrooms.. but have never seen a bath plug like this..

You slide that little bit on the top one way or the other in order to fill or drain the bath! It is really effective.
Anybody else ever seen one?

Edited at 11:34 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List