Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 May 22, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

You had me at Hallo: Berlin 2022 Day 3

Hi again. been abit busy this week and cannot believe how well we did in Eurovision.

Anyway I digress, today is break in TV Tower, museums, blossoms, dinner and drinks!

We were at around 7am again as we had places to be! We were doing the same journey today of getting the U2 from Mendlssohn-Bartholdy-Park to Alexanderplatz. We left the room at 8:20 to start our journey.

We were through in no time so Jess decided to get a pre-breakfast chai latte from Espressohouse and we had a little wander around.

We realised that people were already making their way into TV Tower so Jess quickly finished her Chai and we went in.
We showed our pre-booked breakfast tickets and had to go through a couple of queuing areas(it was not busy).

We got put into a lift and advised there would be a seethrough ceiling to look through.

This was really quick, akin to Top of the Rock I would say. We were met at the top where they advised to climb the stairs and seat ourselves.

As you might know, the restaurant up here rotates so you could be in completely the wrong place. We found our table which was number 29 and Jess put her bag on the non moving bit...luckily I pointed it out aha!

We had paid I think it was 33 Euro each, you got a breakfast and a 1.5 hour timeslot.

Firstly we ordered drinks from our lovely waiter, I got a latte and Jess a fruit tea.

We both went for the Full breakfast(the options were thor Vegan breakfast as we prebooked). Jess also ordered a side of scrambled eggs.

This was meats, sheep cheese, fruit, bread rolls and very seeded bread slices, as you can see! It turned oyt to be really filling too.

Here are the views you can get from tallest structure in Berlin:

Obviously it got sunnier and more reflective while we were up there! But it was really lovely to see the view all over and to not be rushed to leave!

The restaurant got much busier while we were there so I was glad we had booked for opening time!

Took a while to get the bill, which showed that drinks were not included and obviously the additional eggs carried a cost. We left 30 Euro before leaving the restaurant at 10:45ish.

It was a cool experience but the breakfast wasn't my favourite ever so I would go back up but probably not in the morning!

When we got out we wanted to tackle Museum Island which is a really short walk away fro TV Tower.

Saw the Cathedral on our way round, and we went to the Altes Museum.

This was a bit frustrating as the pass for all the museums is 20 Euro. We asked the man if we could get those and after saying yes he changed his mind and said they were sold out for the day. I think we panicked a bit and bought tickets for the Altes, when in hindsight we probably would have left and gone to a different museum!

We paid 10 Euro each for entry and if you have bags above a crossbody/small handbag size they will make you put it in the free cloakroom.

It was nice in here, the museum felt quite small but it was very airy and not too busy so we looked around in peace. My parents would LOVE this, we've always been a museum/gallery family and they can spend days in these places!
We were in there for about an hour and decided to go to one more museum as we had other plans this afternoon.

We went to the Neues museum as this hoyses the famous bust of Nefertiti. This was 12 Euro entry and same rules apply with bags.

As you can see above, this museum is mainly Egyptian and I love that culture so found this more interesting. Also the last picture is Nefertiti

They don't let you take any photos in the room at all and are quite strict, there were 2 security staff patrolling the room!
I went to the Tutankhamun exhibition pre COVID so it was cool to see this bust as well.

Then there was this German/Berlin history section upstairs too.

We left here just before 1pm. And walked to the closest S Bahn station to get the S9 down to the East Side gallery area.

This walking/train/walking took a little while but we were at the East Side gallery just before 2pm. It was honestly such nice weather and Berlin has such a chilled vibe.

We walked down here and took a few photos, we were hoping there would be a food place along the way for a snack but we actually saw there was a cafe by the Mercedes Benz arena.

We were sat at Alex at around 2:40 and just went for cake, There was an offer on coffee and cake for 6 Euro so we both got these.

I had Apple cake and a cappucino, Jess ha chocolate cake and a chai latte. It was really lovely down here but we headed back to 'complete' the East Side gallery.

Once we had walked further down, the other side of the wall was covered in standard graffiti which I thought was fun. I was hoping we would find some blossoms in season and we did on the grassy bank of the river.

So we plonked ourselves down here and sat for a while in the warmth.

We sat here until 4ish, when we crossed the river and walked just to see where we would end up, we found ourselves in trendy Kreuzberg.

It felt more 'lived in' in this area of Berlin and more young. So I suppose this is possibly where all the cool Air BNBs are! we were aiming to get a train so kind of had to turn back on ourselves. This was the only time I felt that Berlin was dirty as this U Bahn station was very messy!

We got the U3 from Schlesisches Tor to Gleisdreieck and changed to the U2 to Potsdamer Platz. Even with the change, the journey was still only 30 odd minutes long!

We headed back to our room to get changed as we were planning to grab some drinks tonight. My original plan was to go to Poison rock karaoke bar, but its in Neuekoln so would have been quite a trek.

As we decided not to go here we had to improvise with where to eat, Jess saw on Google that there was an Indian place nearby called Amrit so we ended up there.

debojahh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

It was really quite a big and busy restaurant but was very nice! Jess ordred a Chicken masala, sexon on the beach and garlic naan and I ordered a chicken Tandoori and a Planters punch.

We then ordered another sex on the beach each. They we great in here at not pushing you to leave at all. I think we turned up at 7:15 and left at 9:30.

This was only about 25 Euro each, which I thought was super value. Would definitely recommend!

We hadn't 100% thought the next bit through but we knew there were a few bars nearby so we last minute decided on Posh bar which is round the corner from Burgermeister we had visited on our first night,

Posh is a smoking bar but they have an extensive cocktail menu, and as it was warm the door was open so we barely even noticed.

First order was a Green Morning and a Zombie. I love a Zombie so think its good to try one everywhere possible.

It was a good Zombie! We ordered another round of a Gree Morning and a Hurricane.

The Hurricane was sweeter so not my favourite but still good, the barman in here was funny and I could see this being your 'local' bar if you lived there

We were a little drunk but stupidly ordered the strongest fruity drink for Jess and the just the strongest drink for me

He came over and I asked what was in mine 'rum, rum, lime and rum...no juice' what did I get myself into ahahah.

We left here sometime around 12-1 and my 3 drinks cost me £24 which seems super reasonable.

We bumped into some guys on our way back and Jess got to practice her Swedish(she is pretty much fluent) which was very exciting!

We both got back to the room, took our makeup off, got changed etc but cannot remember going to sleep. Think it must've been 1:30ish.
debojahh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The views from up the TV tower looked fab, a shame the breakfast didn't wow you. A pain about the museum pass too. Still you got loads done today and some yummy cocktails to top it off.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Brilliant day! Loving reading your trip 😃

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The views from the TV tower are brilliant and the museums looked really interesting. That dinner looked really nice, plus cocktails to finish is about the perfect way to end the day

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
debojahh
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The views from up the TV tower looked fab, a shame the breakfast didn't wow you. A pain about the museum pass too. Still you got loads done today and some yummy cocktails to top it off.
The breakfast was nice enough. Makes sense for somewhere like that as its not too complex! Yeah was hot again too and great cocktails!

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Brilliant day! Loving reading your trip 😃
Thanks 🥰

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
The views from the TV tower are brilliant and the museums looked really interesting. That dinner looked really nice, plus cocktails to finish is about the perfect way to end the day
Jess isn't a height lover but I think you kind of forget about it when you're eating and rotating!
Dinner was actually lovely considering it was last minute idea and great cocktails!