Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 30 Jun 22, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CoasterLady
Proud to wear my Ears

DAS equivalents at other florida parks?

Hi, we will be visiting florida in October as an extended family group(5 adults 3 kids), including 1 person with lung issues and 1 kid with moderate/severe ADHD.

We are hoping that crowds will be lighter around this time anyway, but just in case I'm looking at our options to reduce confined standing time. The queuing can be difficult with ADHD (although I believe medication has been somewhat effective in the last few months so this may not be an issue), but the lung problems are exacerbated by standing for long periods of time, as well as those 'cold air' jets/powerful aircons commonly found in queue lines in hot places so avoiding being trapped by those for extended periods would be a weight off. At this point it's difficult to judge how many rides the affected would be capable of riding (given their way they'll be on everything though), so if anyone has any general idea that would be great!

I am expecting we will be applying for DAS for the above issues no problem, but we are also planning to visit Universal Studios/IoA as well as Seaworld and Busch gardens. From what I've seen, the accessibility passes are very much mobility focussed at these parks and not so much on mental/environmental issues. Does anyone already know if we'd be able to get passes for them at these additional parks?

Obviously we would speak to guest services when we arrive, but it's nice to know what we might be able to expect, if anything.
CoasterLady is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I would say you are incorrect about the passes being more mobility based in the other parks. My daughter has autism AND mobility issues requiring a wheelchair. In some non Disney parks we have to use a seperate entrance for some rides and don't need to use the disability pass as much as Disney. However she always qualifies for the passes based on her Autism not her wheelchair.
Old 30 Jun 22, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CoasterLady
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I would say you are incorrect about the passes being more mobility based in the other parks. My daughter has autism AND mobility issues requiring a wheelchair. In some non Disney parks we have to use a seperate entrance for some rides and don't need to use the disability pass as much as Disney. However she always qualifies for the passes based on her Autism not her wheelchair.
Ok, that's good to know. Everything I'd looked at on the websites just pointed to physical ailment issues (chair widths on wheelchairs, allowances for prosthetic limbs) but perhaps I was just navigating the websites poorly.
CoasterLady is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CoasterLady View Post
Ok, that's good to know. Everything I'd looked at on the websites just pointed to physical ailment issues (chair widths on wheelchairs, allowances for prosthetic limbs) but perhaps I was just navigating the websites poorly.
That sounds like details for general accessibility not the special passes.
Old 2 Jul 22, 05:33 AM  
Link to this Post
JoC
Serious Dibber

Same experience as DonnaD re passes not being issued for mobility but can get them if you need for autism.

Have you thought about scooter or wheelchair for the person with lung issues although they won’t help with the fans they can be used in nearly all queues. You can hire them out there or buy one and take it on the plane for free. Second hand electric scooters can often be bought for less than the cost of hiring one.

Universal Seaworld and Busch all offer similar disability passes to Disney.
Old 2 Jul 22, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
CoasterLady
Proud to wear my Ears

Yes, a scooter is probably a good idea anyway for sure. I'm probably over-planning and we'll need to wait to sort this out in September when the max information available for parks and people conditions is available
Old 8 Jul 22, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hi, we went to guest services at IoA yesterday and they signed us up for AAP. If I’m being perfectly honest, the guy I spoke with should really go for some Disney training as I found him a bit rude. “If you make a reservation at a ride and do not return to have this signed, you will have this confiscated and be banned from applying again”. Ah yes, children with additional needs never never need to have their plans altered. 🙄

The AAP is a piece of card with a barcode. Unlike the Disney DAS where you select rides on the app, you physically present the card to attendant at the ride to get a return time and go about your day. This is better than nothing however with everything spread out in IoA, you didn’t have time to do things in between. Took a fair bit out of the boy getting over to the next section and then hanging about and repeating.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Hi, we went to guest services at IoA yesterday and they signed us up for AAP. If I’m being perfectly honest, the guy I spoke with should really go for some Disney training as I found him a bit rude. “If you make a reservation at a ride and do not return to have this signed, you will have this confiscated and be banned from applying again”. Ah yes, children with additional needs never never need to have their plans altered. 🙄

The AAP is a piece of card with a barcode. Unlike the Disney DAS where you select rides on the app, you physically present the card to attendant at the ride to get a return time and go about your day. This is better than nothing however with everything spread out in IoA, you didn’t have time to do things in between. Took a fair bit out of the boy getting over to the next section and then hanging about and repeating.
Oh no I’m sorry you had to experience that bad attitude. There’s no need for it.

Did you get it for your entirety of your stay or was it a day thing only?
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 22, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Just to reassure anyone worried about Universal, we have often gotten a return time and not used it without any issue. It is just a time written on the card. The card isn’t even scanned until you return to use it. No one is keeping track of use. I wonder if the employee was trying to make a joke?

Anyone in the group can bring the card to get a return time, the holder doesn't need to be present if that helps anyone.
Old 9 Jul 22, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hey, you keep it for the duration of the trip. I think if you need to, you will be able to request a new card at guest services.
To be honest, I don’t think he was joking, there were other comments “don’t give me a condition, I am not a physician” etc. I specifically mentioned what happens when he’s stuck in a queue and the look I got made me feel obligated to state his condition. Hope others have a nicer experience than we did x
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List