Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Jul 22, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
bigred
Excited about Disney

bigred's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
New residential and retail build behind tennis courts at Kidani

We saw some interesting new build development behind the tennis courts at Kidani this week. Initially we thought possible skyliner to the AK park but was surprised and disappointed to read this -

wdwmagic/other/walt-...gdom-lodge.htm
Quality Inn International Drive 1993
bigred is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Have you seen it from the 192 side? IMO the development isn't surprising at all. The surprising part is that Disney didn't buy the rear of that plot years ago but still built AKL right up to the edge of their enormous land holdings. AKL is so close to 192 that you can see the roof from the Rolling Oaks Target parking lot.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 03:26 AM  
Link to this Post
bigred
Excited about Disney

bigred's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I had assumed they did own that land as there are a number of Disney properties down Sherbeth Road. Hope they are kicking themselves and at least grow big thick trees to continue the illusion.
Quality Inn International Drive 1993
bigred is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 04:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I had assumed they did own that land as there are a number of Disney properties down Sherbeth Road. Hope they are kicking themselves and at least grow big thick trees to continue the illusion.
The Disney offices are on the other side of Sherbeth Road. There are numerous other non Disney properties between AKL and 192 including the Silver Lake and Magic Villsge resorts. The Orange Lake Timeshare resort is right in that corner as well.
Old 16 Aug 22, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I saw this too. I was on the bus and like you, I thought it had something to do with skyliner.

DS looked it up and found what you did.

Not sure how i feel about it!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

That’s a shame. I had a standard view front of property 1 bed last time there and over the driveway you looked over ‘wilderness’. I assume they’ll now have to stick some screening up.
I never realised our room was so close to Chueys and Texas Roadhouse. Maybe it will now be possible to squeeze through any fence and cross the new parking lot

Edited at 05:41 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Does that mean there are restaurants reasonably close by? Perhaps walkable?
Old 21 Aug 22, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by zoemoo View Post
You’d previously have had to squeeze through a fence, then cross basically wilderness area with God knows what. So it definitely was not walkable.Otherwise it’s quite a way and no way walkable.
If they build on that land and build concrete paving right up to the boundary line, then if you could get through any fence and cross a car park then it would be. But I suspect they may have a tree line and Disney will make the fencing very secure as they won’t want people coming the other way so it will never be walkable.
We were staying just to the left as you look out of AKL, of the entrance to Kidani underground garage and thus looking straight at this area last time we stayed there in 2018. I had no idea there were even restaurants that close, it just looked like ‘wilderness’. This could really spoil that view.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 22, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You’d previously have had to squeeze through a fence, then cross basically wilderness area with God knows what. So it definitely was not walkable.Otherwise it’s quite a way and no way walkable.
If they build on that land and build concrete paving right up to the boundary line, then if you could get through any fence and cross a car park then it would be. But I suspect they may have a tree line and Disney will make the fencing very secure as they won’t want people coming the other way so it will never be walkable.
We were staying just to the left as you look out of AKL, of the entrance to Kidani underground garage and thus looking straight at this area last time we stayed there in 2018. I had no idea there were even restaurants that close, it just looked like ‘wilderness’. This could really spoil that view.
Yes, we have had studios with that view and high up it is quite nice, and looks lovely at golden hour/sunset. It will be a real shame as it often still felt like the edge of a wooded Savannah a.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by zoemoo View Post

The road along the bottom of the lake in my Google Map screenshot ends in a locked gate by ABC Liquor (not yet built on the map). I noticed yesterday that there is a sign on the gate saying Disney Property and No Trespassing. They could easily make a path to the offsite properties but I think it is extremely unlikely that they ever would.

That parking lot must be for employees or company vehicles.