Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 5 Jul 22, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Huge ROFR buybacks on Saratoga- why?

Just looking at the data and Disney is buying back nearly 50% of SSR contracts now and paying up to $145.

I was used to seeing OKW being bought back to convert it to 2055 end date.

But why are they doing this on SSR. Are there really so many buyers wanting direct or something else?
Old 6 Jul 22, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Just looking at the data and Disney is buying back nearly 50% of SSR contracts now and paying up to $145.

I was used to seeing OKW being bought back to convert it to 2055 end date.

But why are they doing this on SSR. Are there really so many buyers wanting direct or something else?
Thinking outside of the box on your 'something else'!

Now that Disney has joined Interval International it presumably has to provide a steady flow of rooms for exchange based on how many week's are being deposited into Interval.

Not sure how it works, but what would Disney do with a GFV member's vacation points that has been placed into the Interval exchange programme!

Lets say it was for 130 points for a 1-bed in peak season for their premier collection.

Can and might Disney actually hold onto those 130 GFV points so to rent them themselves, while actually offering to Interval International an SSR 1-bed.

SSR rooms are always the last to be filled so it would be much easier to offer to Interval a week in August in an SSR 1 or 2-bed than at any of the other resorts.

Also consider that an SSR standard 1-bed in August requires 213-points while an GFV standard 1-bed requires 308-points.

Thus maybe your 'something else' has to do will Interval and that Disney is buying up SSR points so to place those weeks into Interval while holding onto the members points that are deposited from the more lucrative resorts.

Hopefully someone knows how the Interval exchange programme works!
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
Thinking outside of the box on your 'something else'!

Now that Disney has joined Interval International it presumably has to provide a steady flow of rooms for exchange based on how many week's are being deposited into Interval.

Not sure how it works, but what would Disney do with a GFV member's vacation points that has been placed into the Interval exchange programme!

Lets say it was for 130 points for a 1-bed in peak season for their premier collection.

Can and might Disney actually hold onto those 130 GFV points so to rent them themselves, while actually offering to Interval International an SSR 1-bed.

SSR rooms are always the last to be filled so it would be much easier to offer to Interval a week in August in an SSR 1 or 2-bed than at any of the other resorts.

Also consider that an SSR standard 1-bed in August requires 213-points while an GFV standard 1-bed requires 308-points.

Thus maybe your 'something else' has to do will Interval and that Disney is buying up SSR points so to place those weeks into Interval while holding onto the members points that are deposited from the more lucrative resorts.

Hopefully someone knows how the Interval exchange programme works!
Good theory but I doubt it. Disney Vacation Devlopment buy the contracts back- basically the division that makes its money from timeshare sales. They have no fiduciary interest I don’t think in making more units available to II- they won’t care, they are there to make money from sales. All II exchanges will effectively be handled by the member’s club I think.

This year they’ve bought nearly 500 SSR contracts and they are paying well for the points. That’s a heck of a lot of money DVD are spending. Is there really such a massive demand for the points direct at $200 a point? I doubt it. We know they are buying OKW to convert the contracts, why SSR. What’s the thinking behind it?

I really am intrigued.
Old 6 Jul 22, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Wonder if there could be something new coming to SSR? Extension of sky liner?
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Maybe they are going to re-theme an area and make a different resort with different point structure? They want people spending more points per night! Also think like Dendycat they will extend the Skyliner and make the resort more desirable! If they can re-sell the resort like they have done with Grand Floridian it's a win win!
Old 6 Jul 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
Maybe they are going to re-theme an area and make a different resort with different point structure? They want people spending more points per night! Also think like Dendycat they will extend the Skyliner and make the resort more desirable! If they can re-sell the resort like they have done with Grand Floridian it's a win win!
They can’t alter points structures etc.

Skyliner extension- now that is a possibility I suppose, buy the points up now and if Skyliner is announced, sell much higher.
Old 6 Jul 22, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
They were talking about this on DVCfan, I think they were either using May or Jun & they had ROFRed 78 SSR contracts! I think the only thing they came up with was that DVD were doing quick flips & basically already had buyers waiting. They did also mention that OKW was slowing down & that there still hadn't been any resolution over the contract extensions vis a vis 2042 contracts- IMO DVD has realised too late that they "boobed" & probably the main reason there's been no further extensions on the other '42s
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I cannot see the Skyliner being extended as Disney Springs is massively overcrowded as it is hence they won’t want to make it even busier. I also dread to think how much it would cost to bring it from the Riviera as well. Probably $10 to $30 Million.

Of course they could be looking to merge OKW and SSR in to one Resort!

However, having bought at $73 a point I’m happy.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 22, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I don't see a Skyliner between springs and any park as people will use the free parking at springs to avoid park parking costs.
The 3 big multi-story car parks are springs were built by Reedy creek using tax dollars so apparently they cannot charge for parking in those lots.

As with Everything Disney its down to $$$, they have people they can sell to then they will ROFR. if not they will pass
Old 7 Jul 22, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
I don't see a Skyliner between springs and any park as people will use the free parking at springs to avoid park parking costs.
The 3 big multi-story car parks are springs were built by Reedy creek using tax dollars so apparently they cannot charge for parking in those lots.

As with Everything Disney its down to $$$, they have people they can sell to then they will ROFR. if not they will pass
Thing is they have only been selling a small fraction of these contracts they have been doing ROFR on.