Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Jul 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Planning a split stay

Hi, finally getting to use our DVC points next year and want to split our stay.

I have currently booked the whole stay at my home resort, would I be better to spilt the booking into two so that at 7 months I can just cancel one booking and rebook at another resort?

Or can we just amend the dates at 7 months and book the second resort?

Hope this makes sense!
Disdaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My view is always to get the main booking all sorted just in case the plan for another Resort falls apart.
That way you know you have secured the dates you want. Then as time progresses and the 7 month window is available you can either get Member services to chop and change the original booking or you can do it yourself.

For example.

We booked our normal 4 weeks in SSR this August at the 11 month window.

At the 7 month window I took off the first SSR week and booked Vero Beach instead.

Then I decided some weeks ago not to drive to Vero on the night we fly in so chopped a day off and banked those Points leaving 6 nights at Vero.

But my plan was always to have a fall back and if Vero hadn't been available at least I had SSR.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Perfect my thinking exactly, if I can chop and change myself online without the risk of loosing the remainder at my home resort that will be fine
Disdaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

We always do split stays. What I tend to do is book the whole stay as a home resort booking at 11 months. Then start stalking at 7 months, and get on live chat to snap up what is available.

You could split the stay via live chat too, then you can set up the automated system to replace one of them with any waitlists you have (if your preferred 7 month booking isn't available).
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disdaydream View Post
Perfect my thinking exactly, if I can chop and change myself online without the risk of loosing the remainder at my home resort that will be fine
You can't though if it's one booking. You run the risk of the second resort becoming unavailable while you are dropping days from the original.

If we want to split we book x days in my name and y days in DW's name at our home resort in exactly the same room category. That way either one can be modified online to a different resort without losing the original, and if the split doesn't come off they can be merged.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
You can't though if it's one booking. You run the risk of the second resort becoming unavailable while you are dropping days from the original.

If we want to split we book x days in my name and y days in DW's name at our home resort in exactly the same room category. That way either one can be modified online to a different resort without losing the original, and if the split doesn't come off they can be merged.
I agree. I should have clarified I would only change it myself if my original SSR requirements were available online. If not then Member Services can take off what you don't want without losing any of the chunk you want to keep if availability isn't there.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jshadd
Getting to know the DIBB

I think you’ve got the right strategy. Here’s a post that might help you.
dvcfieldguide/blog/dvc-split-stays
Jshadd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks everyone, have booked as 2 separate stays as know we want to do half and half, it also means we can waitlist easily if needed ... and worse case if we can't get anything we want we will merge bookings