Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 14 Jul 22, 03:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Kwkiwi
I want to go now!

options for 40 points that have to be used

I was just looking on my dvc account.
I have 103 points showing. 53 can be banked by 31 July.
There are 40 points from last year (my use year is Dec) so I have until 30 November 2022 to use them.

However I will struggle to use them. Was hard enough trying to find availability to fit everyone's dates in our party and flight availability! Eventually got 5 nights at Aulani in Sept.

Can someone give me some suggestions as to what to do with these 40 points, or should I just write them off? It all sounds too time consuming trying to rent them via Davids as it's a small amount. Thanks for any advice on this.

PS pretty much decided the last couple of years allocation are a write off. We have been locked up in NZ with lots of government rules about coming and going from here and lack of airlines operating to and from NZ except Air New Zealand.

Edited at 03:24 AM.
Kwkiwi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Hi and so sorry to hear that NZ is still having problems with travel, had presumed from watching the All Blacks playing International games that it was all back to normal.

I would suggest booking whatever is available and place that reservation for rent on one of the Facebook groups that's been spoken about on this forum.

With those 40-points you could book at the moment a 1-bed for 2-nights at AKV at either Jambo or Kidani in a standard view for Sept 5-6.

Or 3-nights in a Jambo standard studio 23-25 Aug for 34-points plus other options at SSR.

Check out these two threads that discuss Facebook rentals, I believe there's others if you do a search.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...=facebook+rent
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...=facebook+rent

Good luck if you try and rent your points and have a great time at Aulani in Sept!

PS. Looking forward to Sat and the deciding test match with Ireland!
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Kwkiwi
I want to go now!

Thanks Bbear. Great suggestion!
Will give it a go. Has become a bit of a hobby looking at that dvc site for availability 😮.

Yes it's fabulous how the Irish beat the all blacks. We need more closer competition in world rugby. Of course it's a national crisis with the all blacks dropping to 4th ranking LOL. You can guess I'm not a rugby fan!

Things are kind of back to normal over here. We were put through a brutal lockdown much longer than anyone else outside of China but our national carrier is struggling to keep up with demand due to lack of skilled staff and getting their planes back again from storage in the Arizona desert.
Old 14 Jul 22, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

As you've been following availability you'll know studio's are very limited except for SSR and OKW, but possibly don't book those or at the other resorts too far out, like Oct. Suggest looking for any late cancellations at the more popular resorts which sometimes pop up around the 30-days mark. That will give you some leeway, both to have time to find a renter and if not, then to cancel and rebook for a later date.

Yes, 4th is their worst ranking, unfortunately for the game there was a sending off of an All Black's prop in the first half so it could have been a very different outcome, but with one win apiece it's now set up for a thrilling last game.

All the very best!
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

As Br'er Bear mentioned, it's definitely best to go with renting a confirmed reservation. Having had a quick look at August there are quite a few options, particularly at Animal Kingdom. I would probably go for something like 2 nights in a Savanna View for 36 points, or add a couple of points for 3 nights in a standard view. These are both far enough out that you would still have a couple of weeks to sell them without risking holding. You could also get 2 nights at VGF for 46 points. In September you can currently grab 2 nights in a value studio for only 14 points, which would still give you enough for a night somewhere else!

I wouldn't rule out using Davids, it just depends how much you want for your points as they allow you to pick what you'll accept. If you were happy with around $12-$14, just to save you having to rent them yourself, then they should go fairly quickly. I listed a reservation (at BCV) with them previously when I had points about to expire but panicked and listed it too low! It sold in a couple of hours.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

I put some points for rent with David’s and got a taker the next day. That was for 34 AKL points.
Renting with David’s is simple and betting than just writing off your points. It costs you nothing and you may get a little money from it xx

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kwkiwi
I want to go now!

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions to use the points. Just wanting to clarify if I rent the points via Davis's but don't have to make the reservation, how does that work? I thought I then had to go and make the reservation with my account.
Old 14 Jul 22, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

You’re correct that David’s will let you know what they want you to book and you book it for their client. It can be a bit risky doing it that way when availability is as limited as it is now, so personally I would rent a confirmed reservation with them, but you might want to try it that way first?

You could even hold a reservation in October or November some time, and cancel it if David’s finds a match for you.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 22, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Kwkiwi
I want to go now!

Thanks all! I can see it's going to be another day on the DVC site... I'll let you know how I go.
Old 14 Jul 22, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Kwkiwi
I want to go now!

I am aware that if I make a booking close in, like August or Sept, then cancel, then it goes into holding doesn't it? I will lose those points if I don't do something anyway with them.