Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 16 Jul 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

We actually have a lot of things to do in kent! Easy to forget living here!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
We're spend our 1 week summer holiday in Kent this August. 2 adults, DD15 and DD14.

We are EH and NT members.We are on a budget.

We're staying about 8 miles East of Canterbury.

We are definitely doing Dover Castle, the Secret Tunnels, White Cliffs, Samphire Hoe, and Battle of Britain Memorial on one day.

We are also booking Alpaca Trekking for 2 hrs one day.

Another morning will be Go Ape nr Leeds Castle for DH and DD15.

I have quite a bit on my list but not sure which places are the best.

Sandwich
Whitstable
Margate or Ramsgate
Broadstairs
Deal
Canterbury

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.
My son lives in Ramsgate
All those places are great
Sandwich is a cute little village has a Costa though, not much for teens
Margate has caves we did this really good & a nice beach too & Dreamland of course
Ramsgate has a lovely Marina
Canterbury has boat rides up the river really lovely, I love the city & good shopping
Broadstairs we were there just last week, again very pretty & cute beach huts too
Enjoy 😎

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
emwratten
Imagineer

I live in Deal, and we have loads to do in our little town. Walmer and Deal castle, lovely pier to walk on. On mini golf on the seafront just opened, next door to a free paddling pool. Betteshanger park is free, just need to pay for parking. Wingham wildlife park, quex park… loads to do ah also we have an old fashioned ice cream parlour.
emwratten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Port Lympe or Howletts if you're into wildlife.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Well Rochester would be worth a visit - there is a lovely traditional high street (lots of dickens references) the cathedral and the castle. Also baggins book store which you could spend a long time in - it's full of second hand books!

You can either drive or it's on the main trainline.

Chatham dockyards is fairly expensive but very interesting - it's where call the midwife is filmed and you can board and view various ships and a submarine.

Margate has dreamland which is a bit of fun although not what it was in its heyday. There are a lot of vintage shops there now too and some very good restaurants. Also the turner gallery although that gets very mixed reviews! Also the underground shell tunnels which are worth a visit. And the beach has some Antony gormley sculptures

The Powell cotton musuem is located at quex park and is a bit of a curious place. It's full of stuffed animals which sounds bizarre but it's actually pretty fascinating. There is an adventure crazy golf there too now.

Betteshanger park is a good half day out it has walking abs cycling routes and you can hire bikes there.

Walmer area is pretty with walks and the English heritage castle and tearooms.

Whitstable has a lot of indie shops and good food. There are harbour boat tours and seal watching too.

If you like escape rooms then let me know - there are some fantastic ones here

Ashford now has an imax cinema, a surround screen and 4dx screen. Not much else to do in Ashford - designer outlet I suppose at MacArthur glen
Is Margate nicer than Ramsgate? Is Broadstairs worth visiting?
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
floridaaddict
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Port Lympe or Howletts if you're into wildlife.
And Wingham Wildlife - love it there
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Is Margate nicer than Ramsgate? Is Broadstairs worth visiting?
I personally would rather visit Margate than ramsgate. There is more to do in Margate.

Broadstairs is lovely. Parking can be a bit tricky but there are car parks around. Or you can arrive by train. The bay is very pretty and sandy, and there are lots of galleries and restaurants and cafes tucked away.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridaaddict View Post
And Wingham Wildlife - love it there
Wingham is brilliant. Sadly my two aged 15 and 14 feel a bit old now to visit 🙄

Port lympne is also great with the safari. Howletts probably third in my list.
Old 16 Jul 22, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Actually Margate has a retro computer museum full of old games - if that takes your fancy! I loved it there

themicromuseum/history

Also the shell grotto

shellgrotto/

And

Hornby museum - uk.hornby/hornby-hobbies-visitor-centre

Margate caves - margatecaves/

Dreamland

Turner galler

Beach

Escape rooms
Old 16 Jul 22, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Lots of fab ideas. One of the best things about living in Kent is the walking. Along the seafront if you like the beach, or in the countryside if you like fields and marshes, or the woods...and most have a pub (or more likely many pubs) for nice lunch.

Grove Ferry is about half way between Canterbury and Margate. It has a picnic site on the banks of the Stour, there's canoeing which is pretty reasonable and the pub has good food. We actually got married at Grove Ferry in 2003 as I'm a local girl. The Stour Valley Walk is lovely, lots of birds and other wildlife. Also next to it is Stodmarsh National Reserve and lots of circular walks.

Another good place for walks is the East Blean Woods Nature Reserve. This is about 5 minutes from Canterbury.

The Crab and Winkle Way is a trail between Whitstable and Canterbury that takes it's name from a former railway line. It's about 5 miles long and can be cycled. It takes you through Blean Woods.

Someone else mentioned Reculver towers and you can walk from there to Minnie Bay, near Margate. This is a coastal walk.

I love living here. I hope you have a brilliant time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 09:07 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List