Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jul 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

Yosemite Advice

Hi guys. I’m wondering if I can get a bit of advice for the Yosemite segment of my trip in September this year.

I’ve been to Yosemite once, passing through as a day trip so I’ve only took in sights in from the roadside. I am taking my girlfriend this time and we are staying one night in Bishop, one actually in Yosemite (Camp Curry), and another is Groveland so should give us two full days (I know it’s not loads!).

I have researched quite a bit but it’s still a bit mind blowing and I wondered if I can get some advice of the best things I can realistically see in my short time in the park. I can plan things I like the look of but without first hand experience I don’t know if they’ll be achievable. We are open to some hikes but we’re not the most outdoorsy pair so nothing too strenuous!

Thank you for any suggestions to fill my 2 days in advance

Edited at 09:29 PM.
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

I would be interested in these answers too, like you we have done a day trip passing through years ago but are planning on 3 nights next year😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

My wife has found a very nice lodge hotel, looks a bit like Wilderness Lodge but next to the gate, and modern. Can’t remember it’s name but that’s what we are considering booking for next summer.
We are basically planning hikes and walks. Not sure exactly what yet so would be interested to hear.
Old 19 Jul 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

There is a ongoing trip report by Wordsworth on Yosemite (just scroll past the San Francisco part to find).

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1230128

It has been quite a few years since I have been but you can see quite a lot in a couple of days.

Like Wordsworth we walked the Mirror Lake trail it is not strenuous!

Edited at 09:13 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

I’m actually following that one it’s very good!
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Things we did in Yosemite:
- Visit The Ahwahnee hotel, we had lunch there in the dining room and it's incredible, you might need to book but we did manage to get a reservation on the day.
- The visitor centres are worth visiting to learn a bit about where you are.
- Search the waterfalls you can visit easily, they might be gone by September, it depends on the rainfall/melting ice over the year. Similarly mirror lake might not be too mirror-like.
- There's a lush river out the back of housekeeping camp just down the road from curry camp, nice to spend a bit of time there to relax
- The Mist trail to vernal falls is amazing, its a bit of a hike with steps but not too long, take water and as long as you're not really unfit you should be fine. We walked a bit further and did vernal falls, nevada falls and back down the john muir trail for anyone else interested in that stuff, took about 6 hours I think including lunch by a lake.
- Mariposa grove of giant sequoias if it survives the fires, I think last I read the fire hadn't gone that far. (if you aren't seeing sequoias on another part of your trip)
- Drive up to glacier point, amazing views of the valley
There are a couple of short walks up near there too, sentinal dome and taft point. I did sentinal dome but didn't go all the way up, just so I could get a decent view of it, I think it's about 1-1.5m each way from the car park.
Old 19 Jul 22, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Look closely at El Capitan. You will see people (little dots) climbing the face.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Aearin View Post
I’m actually following that one it’s very good!
Thanks, that’s kind!

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Look closely at El Capitan. You will see people (little dots) climbing the face.
I drove my husband mad, doing this.

I think the last couple of things mentioned by Fiona might not be possible this year, without “strenuous” hikes there, as Glacier Point Road is closed for the whole of ‘22. We were disappointed as we wanted to do them, but didn’t have the time or inclination to do the hikes necessary to get there.

The shuttle bus map itself can be handy in deciding both where to go and how to get there, if you want to park up and leave the car. It’s here. When we had more time on our honeymoon, we took the El Capitan shuttle all the way round.

We first went in September 2005 and as Fiona mentioned, there’s a lot less water to see by then, but we still enjoyed the views.

Edit: I actually think 2 full days is enough if you aren’t planning longer hikes and Glacier Point road isn’t available - much of Yosemite is wilderness so the “main” bits you can see are in a relatively compact area, save the hour long drive out to Mariposa Grove/Tunnel View from the Village (that’s if you enter from the north; they’re en route if you come in from the south).

Edited at 12:40 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Looking at the places you have booked . Bishop is out to the east of the park and Groveland is on the 120 towards stockton. The first question for me would be what time of the year are you going and will the tioga pass be open.
If so and you are coming from the east I would do several stops on the way Tuolumne Meadows & Tenaya Lake come to mind. Then just before you get to the valley there is Tuolumne Grove which has some really large trees, not as many as Mariposa grove.
If coming from Bishop then a short detour to mona lake might interest you.
There is a valley floor tour which is ideal for a short trip. I would then be looking to goto glazier point at sunset or sunrise if possible, but good all day.
If early summer you have lots of waterfalls to see and just taking some of the short hikes from the bus stops can be rewarding. try the John Muir trail.
A trip out to Wawona and mariposa grove is one most people do, it will take half a day.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

I have a few days here in October, going to set myself the task of doing the mist trail, upper Yosemite and will apply again for a half dome permit, just in case I get lucky
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List