Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 21 Jul 22, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneypls
Imagineer

Buying resale dvc but only will use every 2-3 years

Hi
We’re a family of 6 plus their boyfriends.
It’s me that wants to buy a dvc to go more (last visit was 2015) but as we would need a 2 bed I think it would be likely that I’d look at every 3 years.
I’m your opinion is it worth buying resale at ssr or okw.
Or would you try and buy into one of the more expensive resorts for a longer contract.
Or not bother.
I have priced up Disney for us and next year and to stay in a value resort is £6k then parking as well.
Anyone who has any advice or thoughts I’m happy to hear them.
Disneypls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 22, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

If SSR or OKW is where you want to stay, then yes, buy there. If you're buying there to save money in the hope of staying elsewhere, then no, there's no guarantee, buy where you want to stay.

This was the advice I was given back in 2001 when researching DVC and it still stands today.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 22, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

with things like they are why not rent points?
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 22, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
with things like they are why not rent points?
Makes sense as dues would be a fair whack every year especially with the current dollar rate.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 22, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My advice is to take a step back & look at the numbers, not just of the purchase but the whole "package" but start with the basics, a 2 bed every 2-3 years you are probably looking at 200-250 for any sort of "choice" in seasons that's approx £40k Direct or £29k resale with annual dues of around £1200, that's before you've stayed anywhere! Now you probably wouldn't get much change out of £4k for flights & £5k if you include bfs, then factor in park tickets, Disney on it's own is £3k or £4k with bfs. So even on a resale contract, you dropped a load of cash to buy it & then every 3 years you need to drop another £11k (3 years dues, flights & passes) not to mention that you still have to eat once you get there.
As an owner since 2008 I'm telling you that it isn't worth that amount of money & whatever you think DVC is, it isn't it, basically it's a room in a nice resort with a decent pool but I've stayed in better rooms offsite.
I'll finish by saying that I wouldn't go near on the current exchange rate
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 22, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Leaving aside the economics of DVC generally, if you do decide to make the jump- Yes Old Key West and SSR are definitely worth buying. Different people like different resorts, SSR is actually our favourite now post refurb. But we have no interest in staying in the same resort, even SSR, every time. That is just us.

As to buy where you want to stay, very much depends. This often repeated mantra can be decent advice but can be poor advice depending upon numerous factors. These include:

- Type of accommodation, this is one of the biggest factors- 1 beds are much easier to get, we generally book where we want in 1 beds, I am going to the supposedly impossible to book Grand Californian in a few weeks having booked it three years in a row, the first pre pandemic (booked in December 2019), the last booked post pandemic- January 2022, so in 1 beds even that is very possible. Studios are more difficult at all resorts (and are almost impossible at Grand Californian, but not quite.)
- Desire from your DVC contract. I bought DVC to stay in different hotels, and have no particular affinity to any resort. I don’t want to go back to the same one year after year. Saratoga and OKW are the best sleep around points if that is what you want.
- Favourite resort coupled with the above- If you HAVE to go to a very hard to get reservation such as Copper Creek at Xmas (even in 1 bed) and nowhere else will do, then you’d better buy there. If, say Boardwalk in a 1 bed is your favourite, and you are happy to stay elsewhere, Boardwalk 1 beds are fairly easy to get, do you really need to buy there, particularly if you feel happy being flexible worst case? I’d personally say no.
- Will you book 11 months out? Not everyone does. If you can’t book before 7 months, there’s zero point in selecting any particular resort.

Edited at 05:06 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

We own DVC a couple of small resale contracts at SSR and BLT. I bank and borrow where needed and we go roughly every 18 months though we have enough points for a 6-9 days depending on season. Last time we stayed at Club Wyndham at Bonnet Creek for a few extra days and we could afford a 2 bed, same size and room facilities as DVC, resort facilities much better - for half the price of a DVC 1 bed. If you want 2 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge, good customer service and sort-of onsite location this is a much better option financially. If you are emotionally invested in Disney and want the feels that come with belonging to DVC (I can relate!) then a resale SSR or extended OKW contract is a great way to go.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List