Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Jul 22, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

The Ride sounds like fun. Glad you got to go up the ES, a bit of a bun fight to get to the best viewing spots when I was there. The pizzas look lovely.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Still following along.. Those pizzas are making me feel hungry as it is 0700 (Cornwall time zone). I had better get up and have breakfast (Cream on top).

Edited at 07:37 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Day 3

Ellis island, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial and museum

Today was the best day and the hottest - phew!
We had ticket for the Statue of Liberty cruise with our city pass which included access to Ellis island. This I had prebooked for 9am which on arrival I was very glad. We arrived in good time getting a yellow cab down down to Battery park bit although we had 9am tickets there was quite a queue and we ended up on the 9.25 one. That meant 30 minutes in a tightly packed queue in very hot sun.
The ferry goes first to Liberty island. We spent about an hour there, also having breakfast on the cafe. We didn’t bother with pedastal or crown tickets (I had read that the latter was some 20 degrees warmer and knew this was not for us!)

Then back on the ferry to Ellis island. This was very interesting- you get an audio tour handset included the ticket. You need a good couple of hours to do this justice- it really is a fascinating look at the immigration history of the United States.

Then the ferry back to NY. The ferries are every 25 minutes and are quick on/off (except for the first one!)
We then walked up towards the 9/11 site. We went first into the 9/11 tribute museum which is a small one set up by those who were there on the day - some very moving accounts.
Then we walked on to the actual ponds- I was lucky enough to have visited the twin towers in the early 90s and I have to say that the memorial ponds are simply beautiful- I can’t think of a better word. The whole place has a tranquil, calming feel to it - a far way from what happened on that day.
We just spent some quiet time reading names on the side and reflecting I guess.
The museum was also included in our city passes - and if you get the chance to go to NY it is not to be missed. It is a really thorough account of that day and the months and years that followed. My boys are 16 and 17 so it was before they were born, but they both were very interested and saddened by it.

If you go to NY and plan to do a few of the attractions I would definitely recommend getting the city passes. From our visits I calculated it would have cost around $300 and I paid £120 each on a discounted day. There were loads more I wanted to do but tiredness got in the way - we never did make it to Central Park😢
Anyway, leaving tomorrow to fly to Tampa, pick up car and drive to Anna Maria island for a few days.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

What a great day - I've done the Ellis Island (and even been up in the crown) but not done the 9/11 museum. Good tip on the city pass. I've not made it to Central Park on my visits either. Interested to hear about your next stage on AMI as it gets a lot of good write ups.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
New York sounds fantastic and you planned it all out so well. Safe travels for the next part!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

From what I hear NY is always a balancing act ... sights to not miss vs tiredness! You've done well!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Day 4 - transfer to Florida

Today we packed up and took an internal Delta flight to Tampa. It cost about £520 for 4 of us. Great flight- ife as good as BA, decent complimentary soft drink and comfortable economy seats - the head rest bends in so your head can rest on it if you nod off - which I did!

We picked up or car which I have booked and rebooked many times - total price £525 for 20 days Ford F150. Tip- don’t wear a skirt as climbing in the world will see your underwear 😂

It has 3 seats at the front which we might need if we need to put our luggage inside as the back has no cover if it rains.

Drove to Anna Maria island - we have a comfortable but very cheap cottage- two beds plus sofa bed. Did a wash as cant bear to transport dirty washing.

Then we had dinner in the Rod and Reel pier restaurant which is about a two minute walk.
Forgot to take photos as we were so hungry, but i had a grouper burger which was very nice. Four meals and 4 soft drinks came to about $100.
We then (well me and lads) went in for a swim - the water was like a bath. Chas choose not to- when we got out and walked home we saw a sign saying that swimming at moment is not advised due to bacteria levels in sea! Was very glad that Chas didn’t as he has recently had a cancerous growth removed from his eye. Anyway, that was yesterday and we all seem okay so will probably go in again.
While we were there, Chas found a beautiful shell and gave it to me. Took it back to our bungalow and put it in the sink for a rinse. Freddie heard it rattling around and turns out the shell was home to a sea snail, so Freddie returned it to the sea!

Then we drove to Publix and got some supplies/snacks. A long day - we were all shattered and collapsed into bed.
Thanks for reading
Old 30 Jul 22, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Loving this trippie!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 22, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Loving this trippie!
Aw thanks CFB, hard to know how much detail to put in!
Old 31 Jul 22, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

AMI is pure magic. Enjoy!