Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 27 Jul 22, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

We went with Princess in April, four great port stops, Olsen and Skjolden most scenic. That was on Sky Princess from Southampton for a week, def recommend a balcony. Having cruised Alaska it was similar but much less wildlife to see.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 22, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
We went with Princess in April, four great port stops, Olsen and Skjolden most scenic. That was on Sky Princess from Southampton for a week, def recommend a balcony. Having cruised Alaska it was similar but much less wildlife to see.
We were on the same cruise ! Weather was brilliant,but still snow on some of the mountains.
Old 28 Jul 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Hello
We did a last minute in April
Hubby wanted to do it. I prefer sun but I loved it
The views are amazing. We were so lucky with the weather. Sat on deck with T-shirts most days.
We went with princess sky. We paid 30 per day each which was for wi fi, tips and alcoholic package. The best for choice of drinks so far if on a drinks package. Since only booked two days before going so didn’t book any excursions
We went to
Bergen. We walked into town leisurely. They had inside fish market (but not just fish) quaint shops. We wanted to go on the “mountain railway” but time we found it 😂 there was quite a queue so did not stay due to timing
Skjolden - we docked and just walked around. 200 population but 3600 cruisers. No real shops. Little cafe. Walks to waterfalls. You walk alongside the “river” there was RIB riding and paddle boarding etc you could book when there which close to the ship. One thing I loved was about ten little kiddy winks walking with their teacher to see the ship and waving ❤️
Olden. Just where docked there was Olden adventures where we booked the loen skylift. Transfers included in price. Every half hour. Small restaurant there. Amazing views ❤️ loved this day

oldencruise/

Stavenger
Docked right close by to shops and cafes. Just lovely walking around. As you walked in there was a tourist office and bit further there was a boat ride that you could go see the waterfalls. I think the company was called Rodne

One thing I will say it’s very expensive. We had two latte and two cakes and was 26 pound. (We knew it was pricey from other people but just to pre warn you &#128514

We haven’t been on it but MSc virtuoso does the ffjords. I think last year reviews were good and bad but this year reviews have been very good. They have listened to comments and it’s more geared towards the English from Southampton. If you are on FB there are groups just for a particular ship so you can see photos/reviews. There have been some brilliant last minute deals including drinks package and upgrade to balcony (normally 28 per day drinks package)

Only going on what a couple people said the drinks on princess were better than p and o as hardly any not included.

Edited at 06:33 PM.
Eeyorefanuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
Think we were on the same one 😂 huge delays getting to/on the ship due to bridge breaking?

So lucky with the weather

Edited at 05:21 PM.
Eeyorefanuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
We were on the same cruise ! Weather was brilliant,but still snow on some of the mountains.
And me I think 😂 with the hassle with the broken bridge ?

Old 28 Jul 22, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
And me I think 😂 with the hassle with the broken bridge ?

Yes,that was us too !
Old 28 Jul 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
Yes,that was us too !
We had to walk in as taxis told us hour wait then at least hour to get to port. In that heat with our ffjords coats on 😂

Hope you enjoyed as much as we did.

Shame they now charging 40 instead of 30 per day but still good price
Old 31 Jul 22, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We came back yesterday. We sailed on P&O Iona and were really impressed (to the extent we booked Arvia round the Med next year whilst onboard).

Weather was a concern at first but it was actually very pleasant - t shirts every day but Olden. We didn’t have a lot of rain and the sea days were beautiful.

In terms of ports, we got off and had a wander round in Stavanger. Lovely place and you dock right in the centre. There was an open top sightseeing bus right by the port which I’d probably do next time.

Olden we got off the ship and booked a tour with Olden Adventures (based on the port) to Briksdal Glacier, which was stunning. Great day and such dramatic scenery. There’s also a dinky little land train that picks up at the port which looked fun.

Hellesylt was the surprise highlight of the cruise. There’s not a lot there but it’s gorgeous. There’s a public swimming / diving platform by the ship with changing rooms (all free). Our boys loved it and it was the thing they’ve come back wanting to do again, despite the icy fjord water!

We ended up missing Haugesund as the ship developed a problem that meant we couldn’t make full speed to Southampton.

I’d definitely recommend the fjords. We’ve done them once before (on Ventura) but I enjoyed Iona more. We thought we’d miss the bells and whistles of Royal Caribbean, but we didn’t. And considering there’s no tipping and reasonable prices, it was a much more affordable option.

Edited at 01:20 PM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 22, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

We did Cunard in early May and they had a heatwave. We did one excursion with them the rest we did ourselves. Absolutely loved it and the scenery is fantastic. Food off the ship is very expensive though. Try their pancakes with jam and sour cream - game changer 😊
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 22, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
We came back yesterday. We sailed on P&O Iona and were really impressed (to the extent we booked Arvia round the Med next year whilst onboard).

Weather was a concern at first but it was actually very pleasant - t shirts every day but Olden. We didn’t have a lot of rain and the sea days were beautiful.

In terms of ports, we got off and had a wander round in Stavanger. Lovely place and you dock right in the centre. There was an open top sightseeing bus right by the port which I’d probably do next time.

Olden we got off the ship and booked a tour with Olden Adventures (based on the port) to Briksdal Glacier, which was stunning. Great day and such dramatic scenery. There’s also a dinky little land train that picks up at the port which looked fun.

Hellesylt was the surprise highlight of the cruise. There’s not a lot there but it’s gorgeous. There’s a public swimming / diving platform by the ship with changing rooms (all free). Our boys loved it and it was the thing they’ve come back wanting to do again, despite the icy fjord water!

We ended up missing Haugesund as the ship developed a problem that meant we couldn’t make full speed to Southampton.

I’d definitely recommend the fjords. We’ve done them once before (on Ventura) but I enjoyed Iona more. We thought we’d miss the bells and whistles of Royal Caribbean, but we didn’t. And considering there’s no tipping and reasonable prices, it was a much more affordable option.
This is the exact cruise we are doing in 4 weeks. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it as it was a last minute swap for us.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List