Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Jul 22, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Greece

We’re thinking Greece might be the way to go for next May.

I’d love to go to different places (island hop maybe), but that seems quite complicated but maybe not, I’m not sure.

Anyone done this that can advise?
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I think Sooexcited might have done a bit of island hopping. She loves Greece, as do I, but I've only done 1 island per holiday.
Old 30 Jul 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I think Sooexcited might have done a bit of island hopping. She loves Greece, as do I, but I've only done 1 island per holiday.
If you have any information about not island hopping, I welcome that too, if that’s not too much trouble.

We were thinking about Crete as it seems to have a reasonable amount of stuff to do too.

Thanks.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Island hopping is easy. Just dont pay for it from a tour operator. Organise it yourself. Decide which islands you want to see ie some of cyclades or saronic etc and stick to a few from that group. I booked BA flight into Athens. We got a taxi from there and stayed overnight in Pireaus. Ferry out the next morning to Mykynos 3 nights then on to Naxos 4 nights then in to Santorini where we flew home from. I pre booked the ferry but May you could prob just go to the kiosk on the harbour. Take a look on ferryhopper.com to get an idea of routes sailing times and price. Dont always go with the cheapest crossing as its likely to be the longest. Pay for the cheapest seat you really dont need luxury. Have a plan and a back up if the weather prevents the ferry sailing. So don't plan to get a boat to an island and a flight home the same day. Booked all accomodation on booking.com just dont book too far ahead as it tends to be less choice more money. I saved about £1000 each by booking it myself.
Just back from 2 weeks in Crete flew into Chania with jet2 stayed at Atlantica Almathia beach hotel adults only couldn't fault it. Also been to Corfu Kos Parga Zante Rhodes Paxos. You cant go wrong with Greece. Planning another island hop next year. Athens Syros & Paros.Still on my long list is Kefalonia, Milos, Ios, Skiathos, Sifnos, Symi there's a lot to choose from plus more mainland.

Edited at 08:35 AM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
We need to work for the Greek tourist board lol currently cooking Greek food for a gathering tomorrow. X
Old 30 Jul 22, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi

We have been to Greece lots of times, although only what I would class as the main islands. We've always had good holidays.

We've done Corfu, Crete, Rhodes, Kos and Zakynthos.

Corfu about 6 times and mostly in the North East of the Island. A place called Kalami. This is a beautiful sedate resort, but not a lot going on other than a few tavernas. You can get a boat around to the next bay and visit other tavernas. Really nice experience going by boat.

We've also stayed a few miles North and South of Corfu Town. We've stayed in Kontokali to the North and Benitses to the South. Benitses used to be a 18 - 30 place back in the day, but it's now a lovely family resort. No clubs. Loads of tavernas and bars.

Crete is a big island and we've stayed in the West and East. There are different airports to make your transfer easier.

I don't know if you drive but we've often rented a car for a few days to get around and see other beaches, towns and historical places.

We like to visit the main island town e.g. Corfu Town and get a meal and have a look around. In Corfu you can easily get a bus to Town, and it's quite cheap.

We started off with package holidays, but now book accommodation and flights separately. Tripadvisor is a good starting point, as long as you view perfect or awful reviews by 1 review only members with a healthy bit of scrutiny. You can also book through TA or go to the hotel's own website to book. I sometimes email the hotel before booking directly with them.

Greek apartments tend to be nice, but not fancy. There are some things you'll hopefully get used to like putting toilet paper in bins rather than flushing it.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions please ask.
Old 30 Jul 22, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
We need to work for the Greek tourist board lol currently cooking Greek food for a gathering tomorrow. X
Lol

Can I come please? 😃
Old 30 Jul 22, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We just came back from Crete and loved it, the beach infront of the hotel was amazing. Don’t stay at the iloda beach hotel where we were, far too many stairs and a bridge from one side of the road to the other. We stayed in Agia Marina and went into Chania which was a lively town, a few beggars coming round the table while you ate which was annoying. We drove on the mountain road to beaches and beautiful scenery, food was good and so were the Greek people. Went to Kefalonia a few years back which was beautiful, some of the beaches were pebbly but also some nice sandy ones. Lots of stray cats and dogs on both islands which we loved. Again driving around the the mountains was beautiful and the Greek people so friendly, went to Corfu twice many many years ago, we loved it there also.
Old 30 Jul 22, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Lol

Can I come please? 😃
Sure. Weve got flatbreads with fava dip taramasalata and tzatziki. Dolmades and lays crisps. Gemista peppers & tomatoes. Greek salad and I'm making gouvetsi tomorrow. All washed down with ice cold mythos in a frosty glass from the freezer and red wine in my new tin jug. See you at 1pm x
Old 30 Jul 22, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Sure. Weve got flatbreads with fava dip taramasalata and tzatziki. Dolmades and lays crisps. Gemista peppers & tomatoes. Greek salad and I'm making gouvetsi tomorrow. All washed down with ice cold mythos in a frosty glass from the freezer and red wine in my new tin jug. See you at 1pm x

Sounds lovely. I'll bring a bottle of limoncello and some baklava for dessert.