Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Aug 22, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Redfoxcar View Post
I don't understand why people don't send in meter readings every month, yes it doesn't actually save any money but at least you know what you are using and also no unexpected massive bills every 3 months, my last 3 suppliers, octopus,igloo and BG all sent me a email about the 24th of every month asking for readings , like most others my latest fixed deal just ended was £1200 they wanted to put me on fixed tariff £3100, while the standard tariff is £2100.

Nick
I always used to send readings every month but EDF didn't want them and would only generate a bill if I then asked. I still do send them in more than they ask but I always have to then message them to get a bill.
Our fix has just ended. Our direct debit has gone up this month from £128 to £207 but no idea what it will need to go up to in October. We're 2 adults and a 17 year old.
Old 2 Aug 22, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
I always used to send readings every month but EDF didn't want them and would only generate a bill if I then asked. I still do send them in more than they ask but I always have to then message them to get a bill.
Our fix has just ended. Our direct debit has gone up this month from £128 to £207 but no idea what it will need to go up to in October. We're 2 adults and a 17 year old.
I send monthly readings, but even if they were not required by my supplier I would still do it and keep my own record of it.

When the last price increase occurred, my current supplier estimated my annual usage and based my revised DD on that. Needless to say, they had over estimated- I managed to get my DD revised by sending them the actual usage.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Old people on state pension are going to find this winter savage

I’m dreading it
I’ve four kids with desk top computers constantly on phones charging alexa on constantly
And I was 3 times a day every day
Throw in the dryer x 3 daily in the winter
It’s gonna be a lean winter !
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Does leaving things switched on but not in use, actually use any electric at all ? My kettle/toaster/microwave for example are always switched on, but unless being used does this use any or much power. I’m typing that thinking, what a stupid question 😳
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

A heated airer is cheaper to run than a dryer but still not cheap at approx. 15p an hour come october, so around £1.50 overnight. Using it 100 nights a year will add £150 to your bill.
I have a 20w dehumidifier I use in my spare room when I have washing on an airer to stop damp - I put the airer next to the radiator and have the window on vent, it will cost about 20p to have it on overnight, so markedly cheaper than the heated airer. You obviously need room for either though.
A tumble dryer will cost almost £3 an hour come october! So 5 loads = £15 a week x 26 weeks of the year , that’s nearly £400 on top of everything else.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

Leaving things plugged in will only use a tiny amount of power, things on standby like a TV will cost about £15 a year extra, presumably things like games consoles are the same so if you had say 10 things on standby or charging that’s potentially £10-£15 a month wasted.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Does leaving things switched on but not in use, actually use any electric at all ? My kettle/toaster/microwave for example are always switched on, but unless being used does this use any or much power. I’m typing that thinking, what a stupid question 😳
I always leave mine on too I think it only costs pennies
I’m definitely going to cut down on my tumble drying in the winter as that is a huge expense, I’ll still use it, just maybe half the time 🤷💰💰

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Yes it does. It's not much but it's constantly trickling out.

I've been trying to get everyone to switch things off and unplug but I may as well be talking to the wall.

In the kitchen the cooker, microwave etc are switched off at the plug until it's needed.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

My parents are elderly, my mum just been diagnosed with dementia, went to see her the other morning and the gas fire was on full blast. I am worried that they will just use everything without thinking about it. The bills will be horrendous, They do qualify for the government help so that’s good, but they do things like leave oven on, not close the fridge properly, leave the living room door open, with the fire on as well as heating, so all the heat goes into the hallway.
Atm the heating is still on with the all the radiators off except the bathroom ( to dry towels).
I keep telling them about the massive price increases, but they don’t seem to understand.(head in the sand)
I think a lot of people will be the same until they get the massive bills.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

If you think things are bad now, wait until next year! The pathetic £400 of government 'help' is spread out over 6 months and then that will be it. After this finishes you will see bills that could top £5,000 a year. Enjoy!
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List