Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Aug 22, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
After similar at MCO this year - we collected next day at Budget at our hotel (via Andy) was SO much cheaper than collection at MCO - doing the same at LAX and its nearly half the price (albeit a few days short ) for same car (Mustang convertible) - saving over £500 (yes half a grand !) too collect away from LAX which will more than pay for car to hotel and from hotel to Hollywood (only $95 with affordabletowncar) - will never again book to pick up car on arrival at any airport without first checking how much to get form hotel the next day or so
Same for me! Those savings make the minor inconvenience completely palatable!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Same for me! Those savings make the minor inconvenience completely palatable!
It actually also means both of can enjoy a drink on the flight in the safe knowledge that neither of us need to drive at the other end - win win for a minor inconvenience and HUGE savings £/$
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I can only recommend one to cross off your list, Homewood Suites by Hilton. I also thought it would be a good idea to have a pleasant evening with something to eat and drink in an airport hotel and get on our way proper in the morning. The reality was at 8pm there were no facilities in the hotel and nowhere to get any food. It was also bedlam trying to find the hotel shuttle bus.

We are going again in December and I wouldn’t even consider the airport hotel on arrival again. We will organise a transfer and go straight to our first hotel no matter what time it is.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
I booked through Andy at DFCH. Hertz at LAX was hundreds of pounds more than Hertz at the Marriott. It’s mad. It’s all to do with the airport surcharge. Obviously they keep fewer cars at the hotel lot but I can’t see that being an issue. The LAX Hilton was another option. Just be aware their desk opening times inside the hotels aren’t 24 hour so be careful about pickup times.
I had never thought of this option - do you drop back to the Marriott afterwards and then shuttle to the airport?
prthomas is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I can only recommend one to cross off your list, Homewood Suites by Hilton. I also thought it would be a good idea to have a pleasant evening with something to eat and drink in an airport hotel and get on our way proper in the morning. The reality was at 8pm there were no facilities in the hotel and nowhere to get any food. It was also bedlam trying to find the hotel shuttle bus.

We are going again in December and I wouldn’t even consider the airport hotel on arrival again. We will organise a transfer and go straight to our first hotel no matter what time it is.
I would never do airport hotel at LAX either - having done it before it was truly dreadful after a long flight finding a sub standard hotel and like you no food I could eat (and buffet breakfast I cant do) and found it so much easier at LAX to get a car to take me to hotel rather than faf around with shuttles to find airport hotel bedlam at the hotels (which they are never very good IME as they cater for one nighters or "night clientele" nudge nudge wink wink type ) and no decent food or beverages and back to airport to collect car - not for me these days much easier and cheaper to go straight to hotel that night even if it is very late .

I dont think of myself as a fussy traveller but I am getting more selective now I am older
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by prthomas View Post
I had never thought of this option - do you drop back to the Marriott afterwards and then shuttle to the airport?
Exactly that. Shuttle or Uber I guess depending on times and how busy it is.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by prthomas View Post
Thanks for that. I had looked at the same one. We are 5 people too - what rooms did you get?
We had a studio 2 queen bed and a sofabed. It was great and really comfy. It certainly wasn't a seedy hotel. There's a pizza place and a Jersey Mikes on the outside of the building, although only the pizza place is open until 11pm.
There's nothing else on century blvd that's walkable, but you could get something delivered instead.
The only issue we had was trying to find the shuttle pick up point at LAX, which felt chaotic. It was on the same level as departures (I think!).
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List