Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 3 Aug 22, 04:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Uroplatus
Proud to wear my Ears

Wildlife and birding in Florida questions

Hi all, we are travelling out to Orlando in 14 days (eek!) and I wanted to ask about wildlife and birding out there.

I have only been to Orlando once before when my kids were young so didn't really get a chance to explore the preserves properly. Now they're older I want to get us away from the parks for a few days and back to nature. At home I am a full time ecologist and keen birder so am wanting to know which areas are best for spotting wildlife in the wild (not zoos). As priority I would love to see manatees, black bear (unlikely I know), gators, bald Eagle, sandhill cranes, and bats (an odd one but I love bats!), anything else is a bonus. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go within 2.5 hours of Orlando please let me know

Thanks in advance!
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
I'm assuming you have a car as you said within 2.5 hours. Well within that limit I would highly recommend the Lake Apopka North Shore wildlife drive, open Friday-Sunday and completely free. I'll try and find a few photos which I took with a not very good phone camera to give you an idea.

sjrwmd/lands/recreation/lake-apopka/

Nearby Mount Dora is also worth a visit.

Debra
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
SmellyDelly
Trainee Dibber

I have no suggestions but I wanted to ask you to please share any photos you get!
SmellyDelly is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Norah22
Serious Dibber

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is just over an hours drive away
fws.gov/refuge/merritt-island

We went a few years ago and saw lots of manatees, gators, bald eagles and other wildlife. You can also see lots of wildlife around Disney, one year we were stood watching an osprey for ages by the Boardwalk, cast members were walking by asking what we were looking and and shrugging, I think its like seeing a blackbird to us, nice but common. There are also deers on the long drive up to MK that you can sometimes see on the verges. Have seen bats when waiting for Fantasmic to start too.

Edited at 09:42 AM.
Norah22 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
You get Sandhill Cranes outside the villa we stayed in Sunset Lakes.

I know you don't want to go to zoos to see these, but at Gatorland they have a huge nesting area for wild birds, and I believe they do a birdwatching pass.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23

Old 3 Aug 22, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

The Lake Apoka drive is definitely great for guaranteed gator sightings. There are a few places to park and get out as well.

Black bears are spotted in neighborhoods like Emerald Island occasionally but I haven't heard of any where you can actively look for them.

Sandhill cranes turn up walking around where you least expect them like parking lots!
Old 3 Aug 22, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
canaveralcath
Serious Dibber

polknature/explore/circle-b-bar-reserve

Brilliant for flocks of roseate spoonbills as well as alligators

floridastateparks/pa...ver-state-park

Just within your 2hrs/30 mins range. The Canopy Walk is a must if you don't mind heights.

Edited at 03:23 PM.
canaveralcath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ding Darling reserve on Captiva is good but could be too far from Orlando
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 22, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Uroplatus
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
I'm assuming you have a car as you said within 2.5 hours. Well within that limit I would highly recommend the Lake Apopka North Shore wildlife drive, open Friday-Sunday and completely free. I'll try and find a few photos which I took with a not very good phone camera to give you an idea.

sjrwmd/lands/recreation/lake-apopka/

Nearby Mount Dora is also worth a visit.

Debra
Thank you Yes we will have a car.
Brilliant, we will defintiely head to Lake Apopka wildlife drive then I've not heard of Mount Dora, I'll check it out too