Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 3 Aug 22, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Aer lingus special assistance

I’ve requested special assistance for my son as he has autism and developmental delay and uses a wheelchair buggy (he CAN walk - but he often wont - particularly if he’s stressed or overwhelmed)

I’ve had a reply back today saying that Aer lingus have put a note on the booking to provide cognitive assistance (meet/greet and assist) on each flight.

Im not actually sure what that means in practice - i’ve looked at the website but I’m no clearer.

The email then says that if I wish I can contact Dublin airport for further assistance but doesn’t say what that assistance might be. When I follow the link to dublin airport it just suggests to contact the airline for special assistance - so I’m a bit confused about what else I need to do - if anything.

The email also says i can take his buggy to the plane door but no mention of what happens on landing - will it automatically be at the plane door or will it go to baggage claim with the pushchairs? Somebody mentioned about getting it tagged at check in - is that right?

To complicate matters further Were flying MAN-DUB-MCO so a bit confused about whether we’ll get it back at Dublin or if we’ll have to manage without until MCO.

Sorry thats a billion questions but im getting myself all anxious about everything going wrong and massive meltdowns in the airport. So, does anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks

Edited at 06:30 PM.
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 22, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Anybody?
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 22, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

We contacted Aer Lingus regarding Mason’s needs (and also his medication & daughters insulin & needles) we flew from Manchester and was told via email that we would get assistance walk through.
We got nothing, travel day was horrendous, they had staff shortages and immense queues. Hopefully things have been resolved now. We could take his wheelchair up to the plane and it was waiting for us at MCO.
We had sunflower lanyards for him & daughter plus hospital letters but it didn’t help in any way. We flew direct but the travel day took 23 hours. Worst day ever!
I think we was particularly unlucky and I really hope no one else is effected by that way.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We contacted Aer Lingus regarding Mason’s needs (and also his medication & daughters insulin & needles) we flew from Manchester and was told via email that we would get assistance walk through.
We got nothing, travel day was horrendous, they had staff shortages and immense queues. Hopefully things have been resolved now. We could take his wheelchair up to the plane and it was waiting for us at MCO.
We had sunflower lanyards for him & daughter plus hospital letters but it didn’t help in any way. We flew direct but the travel day took 23 hours. Worst day ever!
I think we was particularly unlucky and I really hope no one else is effected by that way.
That doesn’t fill me with much hope 😭
Old 9 Aug 22, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

I have used Dublin airport and aer lingus special assistance! my son is a full time wheelchair user! Dublin airport was very good! we didn’t book anything but we were ushered through certain parts of the airport by different staff members they just came up to us! We were helped through check in, security, pre clearance! Aer lingus special assistance helped us on and off the plane also my sons wheelchair goes to the plane door and it’s brought to the plane door on the other side make sure u get his buggy tagged at either check in or at the gate! As you are doing connecting flights when checking in just say u need the buggy at Dublin and it should be brought to plane door!
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
I have used Dublin airport and aer lingus special assistance! my son is a full time wheelchair user! Dublin airport was very good! we didn’t book anything but we were ushered through certain parts of the airport by different staff members they just came up to us! We were helped through check in, security, pre clearance! Aer lingus special assistance helped us on and off the plane also my sons wheelchair goes to the plane door and it’s brought to the plane door on the other side make sure u get his buggy tagged at either check in or at the gate! As you are doing connecting flights when checking in just say u need the buggy at Dublin and it should be brought to plane door!
Thanks that’s super helpful.

Hopefully I will have a similarly easy experience.

My sons buggy has a travel bag as it comes into pieces and obviously I want it all to stay together - I’m going to have to think how this will work in practice as they won’t see the wheelchair tag if the chair is in the bag