Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 7 Aug 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Rolling in the Upside Downs - 7th Jul 22 - Day 4, Busch Gardens

Rolling in the Upside Downs - Jul 22 - Day 4 7/7/22 - what’s the plan then?

Index is here

The Plan: Seaworld❌
Bonefish Grill❌
Seaworld pm❌

Weather - yes another hot day with a few storms predicted.

Steps 17.2k

Upside downs 23
Cheetah hunt 1
Scorpion 1
Montu X3 21 (7 each time)

Total 52 upside downs

As I said it was absolutely the right decision to change plans yesterday. We woke up at 6.30 and were all really looking forward to our Busch Gardens day. It had been 21 years since Dh and I had been there and we were pretty sure Ds would love it now he was a huge coaster fan.

Made my own coffee again this morning but we all thought it would be a good idea to opt for a decent breakfast in the food court.

Ds and Dh on the flatbreads again and me on the sides plus I’d bought a low carb yogurt at Walmart so I took that downstairs 🤮 no thanks! I’d rather go without yogurt than have that!

We had booked the free shuttle to Busch Gardens with Mears and opted for the Icon Park pick up. Ordered an Uber, again quick and again $9. The pick up point is at the car park behind the wheel.

There were some big boards out to identify where it was. There was a bus sitting when we got there. The driver said she was actually the overflow bud but that we were welcome to wait in the air conditioning if we wanted but that we might need to switch buses.

Actually by the time the other bus turned up there was a rather large line of people and she announced that she’d be going as well so anyone who was already on could stay on the bus.

We set off on time at 8.45am. There were a couple of other pick up points. It took a while. I remember back in the good old days when the bus just went from Seaworld with no stops. It took exactly 2 hours to get there.

I couldn’t comprehend the set up. We were dropped at the front of the park and started walking over to discover it was fenced off and we were directed to start walking all the way down the side of the car park? It was boiling and it was fenced off and just kept going and going. There was a break in the fence and everyone started cutting through, us too. About 2 seconds later staff members appeared and blocked it and directed those behind us to carry on down the car park with no end on site. It was hotter than the surface of the sun and took us 15 minutes to then end up in a zig zagging line to get in. Some people were trying to buy their tickets and couldn’t get in the correct line. It was a bit of a mess.

They were doing work at Security but a bit of shade wouldn’t have gone a miss, thank goodness for the hat!

Never ideal arriving at a theme park well after opening but not much we could have done about. I knew a few rides ended up with large lines later on but we still wanted to do them so we needed to just do the waits. Cheetah hunt up first. 60 minute wait which was accurate. At least it was all inside. It was pretty good.

Next up one of our all time favourites Montu, I’d gone on and on about this to Ds and was really hoping he would love it as much as we did. This was walk on. It’s so good. I love a dangly leg coaster, makes me miss duelling dragons. Ds absolutely loved it and both him and I went straight back on. He then decided he’d like to do it once more by himself. 7 inversions on this one.

We thought it would be a good idea to buy a refillable cup here since we were here all day and it could be refilled here and at Seaworld.

Although the rides were the big priority Ds loves all the animal stuff so we had a lovely wander around. We saw hippos, lemurs, meerkats, hyenas and lions. None of these areas were particularly busy and it was really nice.

We did see Ds’s most feared animal though, a squirrel 😂 a while back we were at a botanic garden and a squirrel had run right up his leg totally freaking him out 😂. This squirrel was mental, not shy at all. I’d been eating nuts and Ds and Dh kept winding me up saying the squirrel wanted them and it literally started following me around, I was starting to share Ds’s freaked outness! Dh was creasing himself at this and rather than protecting us was taking photos instead.

At this point Ds and Dh turned to me and asked ‘what now - what’s the plan?’ Oh how I laughed, I’d said for months that I would sort everything but that they should do the Busch Gardens research as it was taking me ages to research all the low carb food options available offsite so we could have a whole list of different places to eat. They were horrified. Dh was distraught I didn’t know where he could find the free beer and Ds obviously thought I should be a walking version of the map. I stood my ground and just told them to download the app. Don’t think I was popular.

The only thing I’d researched was places I could eat. I knew I had a choice between the Dragonfire Grill and the Smokehouse. Dragonfire was closest so we settled for that. It’s huge inside and had live music with big bench tables.

Being a captive audience you expect to be ripped of a bit for food. I wasn’t happy though when we went in to see the salad bit full of cookies and cheesecake!

I had to ask what the story was with salads and it Turned out there was a tiny bit with healthier options so picked up a chicken Caesar salad and a pot of strawberries. The salad was meh but the strawberries were good.

Ds and Dh had the Asian wok stuff. Beef and broccoli ( spot the broccoli though, 1 bit) and orange chicken, they thought both tasted good

Again this mysterious 5% surcharge.

The smokehouse place looks better and they do a brisket salad so I’ll try that next time.

Before we left we filled the mug for about the third time in there and realised that Scorpion was really close. I’m normally happy to go on most things but I find this one a really tight track and a bit rough so I sat it out while Ds and Dh went on, it was a 15 minute wait. There were 2 American families sitting close by discussing the governor, the police chief and how to deal with criminals, eye opening…

There was a little sputtering of rain but nothing worrisome or major. Ds had spotted Sand Serpent, a very similar ride to Primeval Whirl which he’s always loved 🫤. 30 minutes we waited for that. He loved it, Dh was indifferent, I loathed it. 😂

The rain was a bit more persistent now and we were passing the big theatre where they had an America’s Got Talent type show starting shortly at 4pm, they’d looked at this on the app and we were sure we recognised some of the acts, especially the one with the dancers with the lights. I have to say this show was fab. There was an acrobat dance type act, a magician a juggler and the one we’d recognised who were called Illuminate. We all really enjoyed it.

The rain was going off so we just chilled and had a seat, a drink and a snack.

Not sure if the rides had been down but we walked over to sheikra and we had just got in line when they closed for weather. It was just coming up for 5pm at this point.

We wandered about and checked out the Zambia smokehouse - this looked like a much better option for lunch next time.

They were running Sheikra empty for a bit so we were hopeful that it might come back up again. It didn’t - nothing did!
Ds was loving taking photos of it. He did photography last year at school and has obviously picked up a few tips.

Dh had in the meantime figured out where to find the free beer so that was the next priority. To be fair they are tiny but he wanted my 2 as well and I think wasn’t impressed when I drank the Bud light.

Ds was quite happy just sitting checking all the transfer news on his phone and loving one of his teams signings - said along with Montu that was a highlight of the day.

The weather by now was looking increasingly dodgy and we were pretty far back in the park and the predicted storm covered the time we were also supposed to be back at the bus. My stress levels were not helped by announcements telling you to seek shelter as severe weather was imminent.

The other 2 were chilled as anything and I tried to power walk them back to the front of the park they were stopping off to look at giant tortoises and penguins and accusing me of having a tantrum. ( they may have been right but don’t tell them I said that)

Ds was obsessed by the giant tortoise and discovered you can be a keeper for a day looking after them at Busch Gardens.

We ended up back at the front of the park in less time than expected and still no rain or thunder. Ds bought himself a Montu pin badge and we headed over to the bus. A few spots of rain at this point. The driver had asked everyone to be back on between 6.15- 6.45 for a 7pm departure. We didn’t leave until 7.15pm and I noticed the rides had just started up with people again.

The weather on the way back to Orlando was crazy though with heavy rain and thunder and lightening. It took ages and there were drop offs again before Icon Park.

It was at least 9.30 when we hot dropped off. I’d had a plan. Saltgrass or Joes Crabshack for dinner with the Landry Card. Saltgrass at first said no tables do I asked about the Landry Card, yes they’d seat us but it would still be at least a 30 minute wait and they closed at 10pm. Joes had stopped seating at 9.30pm. I spotted Shake Shack across the road and was sure I’d read they did lettuce wrapped burgers. At this point Ds wanted to go back to the food court but I couldn’t face another Caesar salad at this point so we thought we’d try there.

This was actually a great choice, I didn’t realise it was a quick service type of place. It was busy but the line moved fast and we found a table. I was just happy to be getting fed at this point and I was freezing with my jumper on - never happy 😂

Dh had the bourbon burger which he thought was messy but really tasty.

He also ordered the bacon cheese fries, I had one and these were the best fries ever.

Ds said he wasn’t hungry so had the 10 piece chicken😂 and a vanilla shake. He really enjoyed these.

I had the smoke shack. I have to say this was the best burger I’d ever had. I wish I’d ordered the double one and I was so tempted to order another one but thought that was a bit greedy. I wish I’d just done it though.

It was quite late by the time we were done and we were all tired so we ordered an Uber, yep you guessed it $9. It took less than 5 minutes to arrive and Dh and I debated a drink at the bar but tiredness won and we all just went straight to bed.

We’d had a brilliant day. There were some things at Busch Gardens that were not great but it was still worth a visit and we all agreed we’d visit again the following week and Ds and Dh would actually formulate a plan!

Edited at 11:24 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 22, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Despite the long journey and the not great salad a good day.

Shake Shack is amazing
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 22, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Despite a long journey you all seemed to enjoy yourselves
Shame about the food for you

But sounds like Shake shack finished the day on a great note!

Joan
Old 9 Aug 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Despite the long journey and the not great salad a good day.

Shake Shack is amazing
Absolutely. The coasters and great and the animal stuff.

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Despite a long journey you all seemed to enjoy yourselves
Shame about the food for you

But sounds like Shake shack finished the day on a great note!

Joan
I was lucky with food most of the holiday, I’m hard to please these days so I expect the odd not good meal - shake shack more than made up for it for me.

It was great introducing Ds to lots of new rides and a new park.
Old 9 Aug 22, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyMoose
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
That's a great photo of Shiekra
MickeyMoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
That's a great photo of Shiekra
Thanks Ds was feeling pretty proud of that one.
Old 27 Aug 22, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Im glad your DS was happy with the transfers, and he seemed to enjoy the rides too! A great day at Busch, the weather managed to hold off enough and didn't spoil it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 22, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Im glad your DS was happy with the transfers, and he seemed to enjoy the rides too! A great day at Busch, the weather managed to hold off enough and didn't spoil it.
Busch Gardens was brilliant for Ds. The phone was away for most of the time and he was chattering away like an excited kid again. It was lovely to see that level of enthusiasm, excitement and fun. So well worth the visit for us.

Have you ever been?
Old 28 Aug 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Busch Gardens was brilliant for Ds. The phone was away for most of the time and he was chattering away like an excited kid again. It was lovely to see that level of enthusiasm, excitement and fun. So well worth the visit for us.

Have you ever been?
Sounds great. No never been to Busch Gardens. It was interesting to read how easy it was to get the bus, as we never have a car either so getting there always seemed more hassle than it was worth. There's another reason to go back!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Sounds great. No never been to Busch Gardens. It was interesting to read how easy it was to get the bus, as we never have a car either so getting there always seemed more hassle than it was worth. There's another reason to go back!
The bus, even though it takes a while, makes it really easy to do and it’s great there’s not a charge on top of your ticket.