Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Aug 22, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile Kindles

I was thinking of getting my daughter a kindle (or that sort of device!) for Christmas in the black Friday sales. She reads so many books and when we go on holiday she packs a ton of them - and despite having a massive bookcase they're everywhere in her room!
Was looking for recommendations, and which ones to avoid please?

Thank you! 😊
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I've had the basic Kindle, the paper white and now have an Oasis, would happily recommend any of them, although I prefer the latter 2 as they make the pages like a book rather than like a screen and are also backlit so no need for external light.

One thing I will say is to check that she actually would want one, I love them and find them much easier to read on, but I know many people who don't like them and much prefer to hold and read an actual book.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I have a paperwhite and love it, doesn't hurt your eyes to read like a tablet might, has a back light so can read in bed/low light, but also can see the pages find in bright sunlight.
DH used to take 5 or 6 books on holiday then we would have to find somewhere to swop or buy English books, a kindle for him was a game changer for travel
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I have the basic Paperwhite and love it, had them since they first came out and this one suits my needs perfectly. I have 65 books on it at the moment and they improve the organisation all the time - I have several books by the same author and they now organise them in order of publication which is much better than me having to work it out if I’m not connected to the internet - sat by a pool etc.
One word of warning though - not all books translate well to a Kindle, if there are pictures/maps/genealogical charts (historical novels for example) - you cannot read them on my Kindle. The screen isn’t like a phone or tablet and does not expand to magnify images

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 07:58 AM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I have a Paperwhite, love it. Can get your books really cheap too if you are lucky. I’ve read loads of great books because they were 99p!
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Look at my countdown!
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Another vote for Paperwhite.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Willeve View Post
Look at my countdown!
You must be so excited!
Have a fantastic holiday.
Tracy x
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I have a paper white. It does show maps and images but they are in black and white.

I tend to read books on my kindle app on my phone as it's convenient but the actual kindle is brilliant for outside as you can read it in the sunshine. I read a lot and was always looking for books on holidays. Now I have them all at my fingertips.
I am on a Facebook group called 99p kindle books and get loads of recommendations from there.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I have a paper white and wouldn’t be without it.
I can’t ever imagine lugging the amount of books I used to on holiday now.
I can remember one year in Turkey and my books were falling apart because the glue was melting on the spine n the heat.
Love that you can read in the sunlight,I wish they would make phone screens and iPads like this.
My friend though who is also a reader has no interest in a kindle as she’s one who likes a physical book,so they’re not everyone’s cup of tea.
Tracy x