Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Aug 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

Which route from Melbourne to Universal ?

Hi all

I have noticed that most people who fly into Melbourne seem to be taking the 192 and wondered if there was a reason why as there seems to be alot of traffic?

I have looked and there is the option to go I-95 north and then take the 528 across, joining the I-4 at the end - has anyone tried this route or is the other way better ?

TIA
rcaff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Never flown into MLB but I guess that lots of Dibbers don't suggest the I-95/528 because the latter is a toll. Around $6.50 if using "toll by plate" or cash.

Mick
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Never flown into MLB but I guess that lots of Dibbers don't suggest the I-95/528 because the latter is a toll. Around $6.50 if using "toll by plate" or cash.

Mick
thanks !

Ah right, so there are no tolls on the 192? or there are less?
rcaff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by rcaff View Post
thanks !

Ah right, so there are no tolls on the 192? or there are less?
No tolls on 192 but plenty of traffic lights as soon as you hit St Cloud and then 500 more to the WDW area.

DonnaD who's a regular Dibber and lives in the Formosa area does the journey 0ften and always suggests the I-95/528

Mick
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
No tolls on 192 but plenty of traffic lights as soon as you hit St Cloud and then 500 more to the WDW area.

DonnaD who's a regular Dibber and lives in the Formosa area does the journey 0ften and always suggests the I-95/528

Mick
Yeah I think I am tempted to pay the extra rather than be stuck in stop/start traffic !

Am I right in thinking I can drive through and the hire car company will bill me later?
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by rcaff View Post
Yeah I think I am tempted to pay the extra rather than be stuck in stop/start traffic !

Am I right in thinking I can drive through and the hire car company will bill me later?
Sorry but I respond to toll posts daily and I have this saved in Word.

1. Do absolutely nothing and pay cash at maybe 90% of toll roads. Major exception is the Turnpike but there are a few other lesser ones. I could post a map if you wish.

2. Do nothing and drive through without stopping and enable "toll by plate" automatically. Camera takes a pic of your plate and in due course car company invoices for tolls plus their admin fee. All reputable hire cars are “toll by plate” enabled.

3. Buy a Sunpass Pro from CVS, Walgreen or Publix for around $15. Load it with $$$$ and your car details and it swipes $$ off as you drive through. Top up as appropriate.

4. Best by far get the VTP at MCO. No admin fees and slightly cheaper tolls. I've started five threads about VTP since May 2021. Sure you don't want to read them - the FAQs answer every question.

5. Agree to pay an "all inclusive" toll package at the desk where you might pay Dollar for example $50 a week and only go through one $1 toll.

Mick

PS the 528 is not cashless

Edited at 01:44 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve experienced both routes and much prefer the I-95, 528 and 417 roads as the journey is much quicker, clearly signposted and I think there were fewer toll roads than using Sanford Airport. The 192 seemed a very lonely and isolated road once you left Melbourne - I would hate to drive that way in the dark - especially if there was a problem with the car or a puncture.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
rcaff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
We’ve experienced both routes and much prefer the I-95, 528 and 417 roads as the journey is much quicker, clearly signposted and I think there were fewer toll roads than using Sanford Airport. The 192 seemed a very lonely and isolated road once you left Melbourne - I would hate to drive that way in the dark - especially if there was a problem with the car or a puncture.
Yeah and as its only going to be and DD think thats made up my mind to go the I-95 north way

Thanks
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Just back and we took the I95 - 528 and then the 417 (although you might be better off taking the 528 right along to the i4 for universal).

I did find it a longer / more boring drive than I expected - but guess that’s normal after an 8 hour flight!

One thing I’d change - that might not effect you- is I came off the 417 at Celebration and along the 192 - right into terrible traffic coming from WDW (heading West). I should have come off at Osceola Parkway, past Gaylord Palms and down Sherbeth (or up along Western Way). Hat Tip to Mick who did suggest this route btw.

Traffic in that area around 4/5pm is just crazy.

Even my beloved Funie Steed short cut is a waste of time - quicker just staying on the 192 and down Westside blvd.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by garryboy11 View Post
Just back and we took the I95 - 528 and then the 417 (although you might be better off taking the 528 right along to the i4 for universal).

I did find it a longer / more boring drive than I expected - but guess that’s normal after an 8 hour flight!

One thing I’d change - that might not effect you- is I came off the 417 at Celebration and along the 192 - right into terrible traffic coming from WDW (heading West). I should have come off at Osceola Parkway, past Gaylord Palms and down Sherbeth (or up along Western Way). Hat Tip to Mick who did suggest this route btw.

Traffic in that area around 4/5pm is just crazy.

Even my beloved Funie Steed short cut is a waste of time - quicker just staying on the 192 and down Westside blvd.
In my opinion in almost every single respect the Osceola is a thousand times better for east-west travel than the 192. The only time that we might use j2 off 417 to Celebration Avenue is to see if any new restaurants had opened on the 192.

But having stayed in the same villa at Highgate 16 times since 2011 and in that area maybe another ten times before that we still face indecision about getting "home" if we've eaten in that part of the 192.

Entry Point Bvd and all the way on Funie Steed to Westside etc or Formosa then FS or even all the way to the 27 on 192. Having a 4 way at FSR/Westside has helped and now there's a light at the 4 way at Westside school/Florence Villa

Mick

Edited at 02:24 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List