Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
You can or use your accommodation zip at the pump . Yet to get skimmed in over 40 years of travelling and using my then access card (flexible friend) now Amex /watch far more chance of it happening at an ATM in UK so I dont take cash out either
You are lucky MF , I have had my cards skimmed in
Bali
San Francisco
Here at home
And Toronto which to be fair was a mass skim across Holiday Inn Properties

Skimmers must think I am rich
Not a problem resolving any of them but just a pain getting them sorted, but as this was mostly back in the dark ages everything had to be done by landline
snowbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
You are lucky MF , I have had my cards skimmed in
Bali
San Francisco
Here at home
And Toronto which to be fair was a mass skim across Holiday Inn Properties

Skimmers must think I am rich
Not a problem resolving any of them but just a pain getting them sorted, but as this was mostly back in the dark ages everything had to be done by landline
Me lucky - you unlucky ? Not sure but I was particularly talking about petrol stations.

I think I have had the odd rogue transaction appear over time (not skimmed as such I think) and credit card/bank sorted out in seconds - freezing card, sending a new one, sending me a report to sign, and reversing transaction . Not overly difficult it you have more than one car, a but of a pain but easier than going to an atm where there are more skimming and scamming than anywhere

I think with using a watch rather than actual card it is safer (?) and it is a damn sight easier for sure than carrying a wallet of cash or cards - it is the future too

So as to if I have been lucky or others unlucky not sure but still will never use cash at a petrol station - it wouldnt even dawn on me to do that (and my partner is in financial card transactions as a business so knows this stuff more than me and I have yet to see him with a £/$ paper money (also a lot younger than me and more modern))
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Doc Brown
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by llamala View Post
Definitely can’t use Revelout or other international pre loaded cards in the self serve in Walmart, can use on normal tills, but tonight 2 of our party took over 40 minutes to get served. Luckily I had some cash to pay with on the self serve. Everywhere else has been fine.
Other place where they only took cash was the Gideons up near Altamonte springs.
So I recommend a mixture.
Didn't know that about the Revolut cards not working at the self checkout at Walmart. Thats another handy tip, cheers!

I wonder if Walmart have self checkouts that accept cash, like ASDA do in the UK?
Doc Brown is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Didn't know that about the Revolut cards not working at the self checkout at Walmart. Thats another handy tip, cheers!

I wonder if Walmart have self checkouts that accept cash, like ASDA do in the UK?
Pretty sure that we put dollar bills into the self check outs at Walmart Cagan Crossings in May. Manned check outs are getting less and less.

Mick
Old 12 Aug 22, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

we still have some travelers cheques left from yeeeears ago. we keep forgetting to take them with us.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

We take a debit (chase) and credit card (halifax clarity), everything gets put on both of those, take a small amount of cash left over from previous trips $20 or so, if I need more will take more out at a chase ATM or wawa petrol station where it is free.

Recently took a trip to NY and everywhere is actively pushing for card, no-one was paying for cash, Disney are actively encouraging mobile order, as are universal, and I know that recently some places were not accepting cash as there was a coin shortage.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I take cash only for tips in the tip obsessed culture. Mainly bellhops. Took $300 cash this time, brought half back and will use Xmas.
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

We take about $600 in cash for petrol and tips and just incase we go somewhere and the card machine isn't working, also load around half of our spending money onto 2 x fairfx cards and then everything goes on the credit card when there.
Old 14 Aug 22, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Cash taken at self checkout in Walmart,Old Lake Wilson.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
we still have some travelers cheques left from yeeeears ago. we keep forgetting to take them with us.
Ooh.. I’d be interested to know how you get on with those. We struggled in 2013 as the younger cashiers didn’t know what to do with them.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List