Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 22, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
But why should people have to pay for seats? It costs the airline nothing extra to allocate seats. It’s just a money making exercise. The old first come, first serve system was better. And.. yes.. I did pay for my seats. And resented it. But DS13 is a nervous flyer so didn’t want to take the chance.
I think most of us agree that it's a rip off and just a money making exercise. But it is what it is and if people are that anxious then unfortunately they should perhaps do as you've done and pay through gritted teeth. I don't think people who've paid should be asked to move to accommodate people who haven't.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydad001
Apprentice Imagineer

we fly back from MCO to DUB, family of 4, I had booked the seats, something went wrong and we were spread out all over the plane, I did sat diagonally behind my 7yr old DD, but DW was about 10 rows in front and 11yr old was about 5 rows behind

they couldnt do anything as no spare seats, I now always book and check a day or 2 before
Disneydad001 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Tony Jordan
Getting to know the DIBB

call the airliner see if they can do anything
Tony Jordan is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Originally Posted by DisneyDandy View Post
I think we must have hit a glitch in the system. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults, 15 year old and a 10 year old. Didn't pay for seats as had seen BA try and seat families together with children under 11 together. Logged in on Sunday to see if our seats had been allocated for our upcoming flight - theyve given us 3 together (me, my husband and 15 year old son) but given our 10 year old a seat in a different row! Bizarre! No biggey as my husband can take that seat but just thought it really strange that the system would pluck out the 10 year old to sit on his own! Especially when there are still seats together showing. Anyways, hopefully you can switch around and be seated together! Good luck
When are you due to fly, just wondering how much in advance you could see what seats you had allocated to you
Old 10 Aug 22, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Even if you pay for seats in advance you can be moved for operational reasons. Over 12s they can sit anywhere, I guess it's one of those risks you take when travelling
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Hope you get to all sit together.
Think it's a but harsh calling it a sob story, you're just trying to ensure you're family all sit together - I'd want to do the same thing especially if I knew one of mine was anxious, no matter their age!

BA always came out cheaper for us as an initial price, but when we took into account the transfers and sear booking they actually didn't up that much of a bargain!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
Even if you pay for seats in advance you can be moved for operational reasons. Over 12s they can sit anywhere, I guess it's one of those risks you take when travelling
We always book seats even if it means paying as we want to be together and pre-booked this time to Maldives. Our first flight was delayed meaning we missed our second. Qatar put us on the next flight. DS (16) in row 72, DD (13 and frightened) in row 65, DH in row 60 but on other side of plane and me on standby. We had a choice of fly or not.

I eventually got allocated exit row in premium and after take off asked someone sat near to DH if they wanted my extra leg room, lovely seat. This meant DD could sit by DH and I took her seat. Wasn't ideal as DD and DH were across the aisle but the best we could do.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
Do "operational reasons" include when someone who hasn't paid to reserve throws a sob story at check in?
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

It’s almost like old times on here, don’t think we’ve had a thread about paying/not paying for seats for ages x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Barn
I have Ears

If you book seats and are moved for operational reasons are you refunded cost of seats?
Barn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List