Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 22, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Both my wife and I are diabetic, we take our medication in hand luggage. Never been asked about it in multiple trips to USA and other places.

I have all my tablets sorted into pill boxes, never take prescription or doctors letter.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Never been asked about meds, myself and dh take numerous tablets, I always take 1 week each in pill box and then a months strip for each med as well. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I take lots of meds including controlled items ( Tramadol) and never been asked about drugs, and no one has looked at them. All in their original boxes with a copy of prescription.

Always carry all meds in carry on bag. Even security going outward never looked at hem.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I always take at least one week extra as well just in case of flight cancellations, volcanic ash , snow belt and braces me
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

We were asked last time we travelled. But my daughter travels with 3 maybe 4 bottles all over 100ml. I know heathrow says only medicine necessary for flight but for 2 weeks we have 120 catheters all with trace amounts of lubrication liquid and 2 150ml bottles and 1 partially filled 100ml bottle of med. Parents have already flown out with some meds but a last minute change from hospital means we have to carry alot.

Without any of the above she is hospital bound if we can't replace so it's hand luggage or.no holiday. We have the prescription at least and a letter from the children's hospital.

Airport staff are allowed to carry well over 100ml. For example a number of colleagues regularly carry those large redbull cans in and they just use a special scanner. Might only be available at staff security mind.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I appreciate people may have never been asked for a letter or needed a script to refill for anything they've lost. I prefer to take a belt and braces approach. You're on holiday, the last thing you want or need is to try and prove why you need a certain medication etc.

As I use insulin, it's not something I can go without, hence carrying a prescription with me.

I see it akin to printing my ESTA. It's for peace of mind.
Old 11 Aug 22, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
We were asked last time we travelled. But my daughter travels with 3 maybe 4 bottles all over 100ml. I know heathrow says only medicine necessary for flight but for 2 weeks we have 120 catheters all with trace amounts of lubrication liquid and 2 150ml bottles and 1 partially filled 100ml bottle of med. Parents have already flown out with some meds but a last minute change from hospital means we have to carry alot.

Without any of the above she is hospital bound if we can't replace so it's hand luggage or.no holiday. We have the prescription at least and a letter from the children's hospital.

Airport staff are allowed to carry well over 100ml. For example a number of colleagues regularly carry those large redbull cans in and they just use a special scanner. Might only be available at staff security mind.
I put catheters in hand luggage and hold just in case along withother medical bits but for some reason always put meds in hand luggage, we have the catheters you can fold in half so that helps. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ch1ps View Post
I appreciate people may have never been asked for a letter or needed a script to refill for anything they've lost. I prefer to take a belt and braces approach. You're on holiday, the last thing you want or need is to try and prove why you need a certain medication etc.

As I use insulin, it's not something I can go without, hence carrying a prescription with me.

I see it akin to printing my ESTA. It's for peace of mind.
To be clear in Gatwick 2019 we were asked for documentation for meds. But as soon as they saw a letter with Great Ormond Street heading they lost interest.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

im T1D and i always carry in my hand luggage, i notify the airline before i travel which allows me extra space. i would never leave it in my suitcase incase that goes missing. i also carry a copy of my perscription with all my meds on it, ive never been asked to provide it, its more for my peace of mind

Edited at 08:02 PM.
sarahmarie173 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by ch1ps View Post
Take a copy of your prescription, if you lose your tablets, it'll be easier to have the replaced.
Can I ask how will it be easier to have them replaced? No Pharmacy in America is going to pay any heed to a UK prescription or dispense against it. They will require a US issued one.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List