Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Jan 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Jordan ?

Looks like I’ll be adding a week in Jordan to this year’s possible plans as my brother is about to be seconded out there for several years and likely to be gone before tier 4 lifts.
Anyone been and have recommendations for places to see ?
Accommodation advice not needed as they will presumably be living in the diplomatic compound in Amman.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I read a great trip report earlier this year by Gunna. I don’t know how to link it, sorry.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
I also read the trip report by Gunna on Jordan and thought it looked like a fascinating place. Have a read yourself here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1160776

Debra
Old 3 Jan 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I read a great trip report earlier this year by Gunna. I don’t know how to link it, sorry.
Thanks to you and Tetrach for reminding me about this wonderful trip report. I’ve just re-read it and this is definitely on my list
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 05:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Looks amazing, only other place in the Middle East I’ve visited is Israel . If the posting goes ahead it’ll be for four years so I can see a few visits to Petra in my future .
That was a great trip report, thanks for the heads up.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Was just going to post a link but can see another Dibber’s done that for you. Glad you liked the trip report.

We loved Jordan, such an amazing country. Warm and friendly people and so much to see. We only had 5 nights so just scratched the surface, I’d love to go back one day.

Petra is just breathtaking, I’d recommend staying a night or two to see the place illuminated at night and to be up and in early to get a head start on the crowds. Walk up to the monastery definitely worth the trek. The whole Petra site is stunning.

Jerash are some of the best ruins I’ve seen and Amman has some great sites to, try Kunafa its delicious. There are so many places and religious sites to see we just didn’t have enough time.

The tour company we used were really good and although looks like accommodation is sorted for you in Amman they were so good with us and I’m sure if you wanted a few days out from Amman exploring they’d look after you - ask for Khaled if you use them, such a great guy.

We didn’t get chance to see Wadi Rum but it’s on the list for our return. ( lots of films have been shot there and looks beautiful) Jordan is a place that has always been on my bucket list, it didn’t disappoint at all and we both just fell in love with it, such an amazing albeit short trip, but we’ll be back I’m sure.

Any questions give me a shout, I’ll help and answer anything I can.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Gunna - I had a look at the tour company you recommended. Do their prices include hotel stays? I wondered that extra costs are involved? Thanks for your time !
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Ours included hotels along with any admission fees to the sites we visited.

We just paid for food while with our guide, he recommended and took us to local places as well as showing us some spots to try on an evening. He did random coffee and snack stops and paid for those too, there was always water in the car for us. We just had to cover any bits we wanted (souvenirs etc... ) and then tips for him and any guides used. They gave us a sheet with recommendations for amounts on but pretty much it was all included. We tipped him at the end and the guides as we left them.

They built the tour around us so you are free to add in stuff you want to see so it’s totally tailor made. All the hotels were excellent with breakfast included. The one in Petra was literally at the entrance so couldn’t be a better location.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s really helpful - thank. I like the look of your itinerary. It sounds fabulous
Old 4 Jan 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Many thanks, like you Petra was always in my wish list, ever since I read about it many years ago in an Agatha Christie novel !
I’m sure my first trip will probably be just to Amman itself as it’ll be about catching up on family time as we haven’t had much time together this year as brother currently lives in the freezing north but with a long posting and good flight prices (I’m currently seeing £300ish) I can see regular visits and a great chance to explore properly.
It’s very exciting and I’ll definitely be following some of your great advice .

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Was just going to post a link but can see another Dibber’s done that for you. Glad you liked the trip report.

We loved Jordan, such an amazing country. Warm and friendly people and so much to see. We only had 5 nights so just scratched the surface, I’d love to go back one day.

Petra is just breathtaking, I’d recommend staying a night or two to see the place illuminated at night and to be up and in early to get a head start on the crowds. Walk up to the monastery definitely worth the trek. The whole Petra site is stunning.

Jerash are some of the best ruins I’ve seen and Amman has some great sites to, try Kunafa its delicious. There are so many places and religious sites to see we just didn’t have enough time.

The tour company we used were really good and although looks like accommodation is sorted for you in Amman they were so good with us and I’m sure if you wanted a few days out from Amman exploring they’d look after you - ask for Khaled if you use them, such a great guy.

We didn’t get chance to see Wadi Rum but it’s on the list for our return. ( lots of films have been shot there and looks beautiful) Jordan is a place that has always been on my bucket list, it didn’t disappoint at all and we both just fell in love with it, such an amazing albeit short trip, but we’ll be back I’m sure.

Any questions give me a shout, I’ll help and answer anything I can.