Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone with experience of a false tooth?

Hi!

I posted the other day about my daughters’ teeth, they’re both missing the middle tooth between their central front teeth and their incisors. Their incisors have grown down next to the front teeth. Braces are going to be used to pull the incisors back into place but it will leave a gap. We’ve been told they’ll be fitted with a bridge but dh is unsure about them having a false tooth for life and he’s on about the possibility of not moving the incisor back or only moving it back a little so that the gap isn’t as bad but so that a false tooth doesn’t have to go it it’s place. It still seems like it would be a big gap to me and I was prepared for the bridge to be used but I don’t know if I’m creating a lifelong problem for them? He thinks that it’s a burden having this false tooth/bridge whereas I think it’s fine and imagine they could get one implanted when they’re older if they want to. I just wanted people’s opinions on whether they’re a pain or if they’re no problem.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I had a false front tooth fitted when I was 15 after I lost a tooth because of an abscess. I absolutely hated it but when I was 18 it was replaced by a bridge and that was fine. The bridge lasted until I was 54 but then it got loose and the dentist who refitted it made a rubbish job of it. Bacteria got in and rotted the supporting tooth. I had to have that tooth out as well so I now have an implant replacing both missing teeth and that is great.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Both my siblings have a false front tooth, both the result of separate childhood accidents over thirty years ago.

They both had bridges, then implants. Their other teeth are fine, no deterioration nor losses. You would never know they had a false tooth.

People are now more aware now of other's teeth and any gap will be noticed and probably remarked on. I know my siblings would be self conscious with a gap in their teeth
Having a bridge will ensure nobody sees anything but lovely teeth.

Good luck with the braces.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks! I’m not really sure what a bridge entails or if it would be annoying but it sounds ok!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
schnauzer
Excited about Disney

Hi, my DD had the same teeth missing. She has just recently finished orthodontist treatment which involved wearing braces and moving all her teeth forward so there is no gap. They shaped the incisors as the dentist said that as long as your teeth looks symmetrical then you can't really tell. She is just waiting for the dentist to be able to build her teeth up slightly to make them more square. I think this was definitely was the best course of action for DD and looks really good. The orthodontist thought this was better than an implant as she would have to keep having it replaced later on x
Old 11 Aug 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My husband and dd have the same issue. My husband had no treatment and honestly you would never really notice it.

My dd has one tooth missing and one was a peg tooth so she had orthodontist work to create a gap with a promise of an implant in the gap.

After three years of braces they decided that her jaw wouldn’t take an implant. She has had a bridge on the missing tooth and the peg tooth built up. It looks good but I think if asked she would say she wished she hadn’t done it. She hasn’t got the result she was promised and will have to deal with a bridge for the rest of her life.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
Thanks! I’m not really sure what a bridge entails or if it would be annoying but it sounds ok!
It’s a false tooth on a small metal plate which is glued to the back of the tooth next door.

The hardest thing is choosing the right size and colour for the tooth and I think Katie’s is not exactly the right colour.

Edited at 03:24 PM.
Old 11 Aug 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the pics, your beautiful daughter does have a lovely smile! My girls already have the gap, so it’s not the gap that needs created. It’s more a case of filling it. It would be interesting to know if the back ones could be pushed forward and the incisors reshaped.
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a false tooth which I hate. I had a brace and with the movement of the teeth 1 tooth really receded and I lost it. There was the option of a brace, a bridge or an implant. Aside of cost I really don’t fancy an implant, I was scared re the bridge (I thought it was going to be where they drill the tooth at either side and then make 2 hollow teeth on either side of a pretend tooth and the hollow teeth fit over the 2 teeth drilled to pegs). I opted for the false tooth but I just couldn’t get used to it. It rubbed my gum and I got the dentist to try and adjust it but she shaved too much off and it was then too loose and I have to use the denture adhesive. I then asked about the bridge and she suggested a Maryland bridge (the one with the little metal plates which fit to the teeth in either side of the gap. So she booked me in - and then left! Then the new dentist won’t do it. He says it will compromise the teeth on either side and I’ll end up losing them. So my only option is keep this tooth on a plate or an implant - he keeps trying to push me for this but I don’t have a few 1000 spare to do that plus I actually don’t think my gum would take the implant so I’m stuck with it. It was my bottom left “fang” and you can’t always see it but I keep it in at work etc but tend to leave it out at weekend unless I am going anywhere specific.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List