Notices

Old 2 Jul 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Alton Towers for 12 year old

Is Alton Towers ok for a 12 year old that is not keen on very intense thrill rides? Was thinking of booking an October half term break for nieces, but not sure how much the younger one would enjoy it.

Your experiences would be welcomed...Thanks
Old 2 Jul 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

I only have one experience of Alton Towers, and personally I have no interest in going back anytime soon. It's not my cup of tea, it's worth noting I have been once and it was probably about 13 years ago. Found it dull, boring, lacked any theming, and over priced.
My preference for a short theme park break (outside of Disney) would be Chessington World Of Adventure. Have done this a few times in the last 5 years with our DD (now 7). She loves it, even some of the faster rides. There is something for everyone and it can be both exhilarating and relaxing. Check it out.
Old 2 Jul 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
I only have one experience of Alton Towers, and personally I have no interest in going back anytime soon. It's not my cup of tea, it's worth noting I have been once and it was probably about 13 years ago. Found it dull, boring, lacked any theming, and over priced.
My preference for a short theme park break (outside of Disney) would be Chessington World Of Adventure. Have done this a few times in the last 5 years with our DD (now 7). She loves it, even some of the faster rides. There is something for everyone and it can be both exhilarating and relaxing. Check it out.
It’s changed massively in 13 years and I’d never call it dull
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Well, I did. But thats is purely my opinion!
Old 2 Jul 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
Is Alton Towers ok for a 12 year old that is not keen on very intense thrill rides? Was thinking of booking an October half term break for nieces, but not sure how much the younger one would enjoy it.

Your experiences would be welcomed...Thanks
Depends what she classes as “intense”
My dd is 9 and loves Rita, thirteen , mins train ,rapids etc.. but even if tall enough would probably not entertain The smiler !
I think there is a decent amount for her to do there and not be bored .
We have a hotel stay booked for end of this month so dd has her fingers crossed they’ll open Hex soon as that’s another favourite ,especially the theming
Old 2 Jul 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Well, I did. But thats is purely my opinion!
It definitely shows how people in general see things differently as out of those two merlin parks I’d say Chessington was boring but there we are.
Maybe it’s just because having merlin passes means we have done it to death

Edited at 03:05 PM.
Old 2 Jul 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
It definitely shows how people in general see things differently as out of those two merlin parks I’d say Chessington was boring but there we are.
Maybe it’s just because having merlin passes means we have done it to death
Absolutely, i'd go back to Chessington tomorrow if I could but honestly have no incling to step foot in Alton Towers again (unless the DW tells me I have to... ).
I have a feeling that I found Alton Towers "dull" because we'd not long come back from WDW and fancied a theme park trip for a day and AT is what we chose... Started badly with a cold coffee and a cold/tasteless (pricey) bacon sandwich and didn't really improve from there...
Bring back American Adventure... that was a good theme park... I was there every year for about 6 years on July 4th (with the Army Cadet Force band)...
Anyways, we digress from the OP's request...!

Old 2 Jul 20, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
rking89
Getting Excited

Mobile

Alton Towers will be fine for that age but depends what rides they like. I went when I was 12 and that was pre most the new big rides. Dont pay full price on the gate (plenty of half price or 2 4 1s). Just dont have the full WDW experience expectiation but thrill rides are probably the best in the UK

Paris 06, 19, 22?
rking89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

We really enjoy Alton Towers
Rita is meant to be one of the fast accelerating rides anywhere .
The Smiler is a good ride but intense to say the least .
Most of the bigger rides turn you upside down or have sharp drops and I found wicker man rattled my head .
It’s expensive if your not that into rides ,though there are one or two milder ones.You do have the water park in Splash Landings and the golf .
Chessington has the animals and milder rides so might be s better choice depending on where you live .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Check his height too, as that will be the main driver of what he can go on. In October half term they usually have quite a bit of Halloween theming, the mazes will be too scary I expect but they do still have a reasonable amount to keep a 12 year old entertained
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List