Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 13, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Question I am about to book ... should I?

So first Disney Florida holiday was in Oct 2011 at POR and we loved it so much we are going back in Oct 2013 (eeek just over 6 months to go and ADR's to book in a couple of weeks! ) to OKW this time oh and a 4 night BAHAMS CRUISE on the Dream (so so so excited!) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

Anyway I have been spending LOTS of time on dibb/the cruise section and have some how talked the hubby into agreeing to consider a Europe cruise in Aug 2014 (not even sure we will like cruising as never been ... but I am guessing we will)

So the cruise I am looking at is the one going out on 23rd Aug 201. The best room I can afford is Category 9D Ocean View Stateroom deck 2 which is just over £3k. We have category 8 booked for the Bahamas cruise (family room two portholes deck 6 I think).

So can you experience cruisers please tell me if it's a good idea to book (or not)!

Is it a lot of money or do you think it's worth it?

Is Deck 2 ok?

Am I better off booking another cruise liner doing the same itinerary? Will it be a lot cheaper?

Should I wait to book once we are on board our Oct 13' cruise? Will it be cheaper? Will there be availability?

What sort of price I'm I looking at for flights to Barcelona in Aug, 2a and 2c?

Should I wait and see if I like cruising before booking another? I'm I just getting carried away?

The plan is to do Florida every other year and a cheap beach/pool break in the years between. The cruise would be the not so cheap alternative to the beach/pool holiday for 2014.

So come on convince me to press the book button...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 13, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishrover
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SHJ View Post
So first Disney Florida holiday was in Oct 2011 at POR and we loved it so much we are going back in Oct 2013 (eeek just over 6 months to go and ADR's to book in a couple of weeks! ) to OKW this time oh and a 4 night BAHAMS CRUISE on the Dream (so so so excited!) to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

Anyway I have been spending LOTS of time on dibb/the cruise section and have some how talked the hubby into agreeing to consider a Europe cruise in Aug 2014 (not even sure we will like cruising as never been ... but I am guessing we will)

So the cruise I am looking at is the one going out on 23rd Aug 201. The best room I can afford is Category 9D Ocean View Stateroom deck 2 which is just over £3k. We have category 8 booked for the Bahamas cruise (family room two portholes deck 6 I think).

So can you experience cruisers please tell me if it's a good idea to book (or not)!

Is it a lot of money or do you think it's worth it?

Is Deck 2 ok?

Am I better off booking another cruise liner doing the same itinerary? Will it be a lot cheaper?

Should I wait to book once we are on board our Oct 13' cruise? Will it be cheaper? Will there be availability?

What sort of price I'm I looking at for flights to Barcelona in Aug, 2a and 2c?

Should I wait and see if I like cruising before booking another? I'm I just getting carried away?

The plan is to do Florida every other year and a cheap beach/pool break in the years between. The cruise would be the not so cheap alternative to the beach/pool holiday for 2014.

So come on convince me to press the book button...
How many of you are going on the european and for how many night?

It seems VERY expensive.

An inside cabin on the WBTA in 2014 is around £60 a night per person.

I think the european cruises with disney this year and next are overpriced, hence still quite a lot of availability left even though its school holidays

You usually do get an offer onboard, so if you are determined to book Id wait till then.

As for barca flights, get them as early as you can and they arent too bad, think we paid about £120 each on easyjet.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
Irishrover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 13, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post

We went on our first cruise last October and I was convinced I was going to LOVE it and rebook while onboard... Needless to say I didn't, so no I wouldn't book now, I'd wait personally. We would do another disney cruise sometime, but it's not something I felt I needed to do again anytime soon
Old 22 Mar 13, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Irishrover View Post
How many of you are going on the european and for how many night?

It seems VERY expensive.

An inside cabin on the WBTA in 2014 is around £60 a night per person.

I think the european cruises with disney this year and next are overpriced, hence still quite a lot of availability left even though its school holidays

You usually do get an offer onboard, so if you are determined to book Id wait till then.

As for barca flights, get them as early as you can and they arent too bad, think we paid about £120 each on easyjet.
It's for 2a and 2c (age 7 and 9). For 7 nights. The WBTA is really good value and would love to go on that but the kids school are now not authorising the 10 days leave we were allowed before. Just about sneaked in the Oct time off.

It does seem expensive to us too! I think I may wait until we are on board.
Old 22 Mar 13, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RobynPrincess View Post
We went on our first cruise last October and I was convinced I was going to LOVE it and rebook while onboard... Needless to say I didn't, so no I wouldn't book now, I'd wait personally. We would do another disney cruise sometime, but it's not something I felt I needed to do again anytime soon
Good point. I think I am best waiting and seeing if we enjoy the cruise and then if we do book on board. The current prices are really high so it's not like I am going to miss out on a bargain.

Thanks.
Old 22 Mar 13, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

On deck 2 you wont feel as much movement as higher up, but you may hear more noise from the thrusters, anchor etc.

If I were you I would at least wait and see if you like it, but as above, that does seem very expensive to me!
Old 22 Mar 13, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post

as for flights, not sure where you live but easyjet and monarch do great priced flights to Barcelona.

depending on the date you would need price does vary so may mean you could go a day or 2 earlier and enjoy Barcelona or the coast before you sale to take advantage of cheaper flight price.

we got flights end of july return august for £100 return each, there are some cheaper though but these dates suited us
Old 23 Mar 13, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gary
Apprentice Imagineer

Gary's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We've always had inside rooms as they tend to be cheaper.
2016 - 12 night Copenhagen to Dover - DCL
2017 - 14 night Southampton to Barcelona - RCI
Gary is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 13, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We had an inside on our first DCL med cruise. The only time we spent in the room was to sleep and get changed for dinner.

With it being your first Med cruise too, you will spend a great time ashore seeing the sights. My advise is book an inside one. We were in one of the sideways ones on deck 6, there are also some on deck 5 too.

You can use the money you will save for your trips.

I booked flights for this year to the Med, we have an added complication in that we are flying to Venice and departing home from Barcelona and paid for three of £520, all adult fares. Flying out Jet 2 coming home Monarch. Sometimes it's cheaper to do a split fare. I just need to watch the luggage allowance as we get less with Monarch.

Edited at 11:17 AM.
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 13, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
A Disney cruise in the Med will always be more expensive than a different cruise line in the Med.
It's up to you if you want to pay extra for the Disney benefits or not.

In 99% of cases, DCL prices will not go down, only up, so book now, then reshop while onboard in October. If booking on board, you'd get a 10% discount on the cruise cost, plus some onboard credit.
The booking you do now would get neither of these unless you go through a US TA who will give you OBC.

Pay 20% deposit now, then in October, go to the future cruise desk and ask them to price it up again .. If its cheaper, re-book it, if not, keep the booking you have.

If you go through a US TA, you would have to name them at the time of booking onboard or very shortly afterwards (can't remember the timing now but I think it's 2 weeks after)