Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Dec 16, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Civitavecchia excursions NOT Rome

Thinking about next year's cruise and wondering if we might skip Rome altogether. We intend to visit there at some point in the next few years anyway, at a quieter and cooler time of year, when we would have more time and would be able to book early morning tours to places like St Peter's Basilica to skip the worst of the crowds.

So - where else could we go?

The DCL port adventures include several medieval villages, wine tasting, olive oil tasting, nice countryside - sounds good!

Anyone have any experience?

I'm also wondering if these tours would be a much smaller group, as many of the cruise passengers would be Americans wanting a rare crack at Rome.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 04:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Having been to Rome a few times we opted to get the train from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica which is the ruins of the ancient port of Rome. Think Pompeii.
It was a good day out and easy by train.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

We are probably doing Pompeii the previous day. The DCL excursions offer countryside, medieval towns, wine tasting, olive oil tasting etc. That's something we probably wouldn't do on a city break as we don't drive. Sounded like a more relaxed option.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've been to Civitavecchia twice on cruises.. the first we did a day trip to Rome and the second stayed in port.

I'd agree with your itinerary, Rome in a day is very hard, especially in the heat! It's more a whistle stop tour for those who won't go again.. I've visited Rome during a city break since (when a lot cooler) and found the whole experience a lot more enjoyable

Civitavecchia in itself is... okay. It is okay to get off and walk around, but that's it. Tbh I wouldn't get off again unless going on a tour.

So yes, a countryside tour sounds great, our ship only offered Rome tours from what I can remember but would have loved the opportunity to go on one.

Just remember if you go off on your own and you don't make it back in time they will leave without you - my aunt and uncle got the train to Rome and had to join the cruise later on!

Hope this helps
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 16, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
We would probably go on one of the DCL tours so would be sure of making it back!
Old 6 Dec 16, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Last year we found ourselves in Civitavecchia along with 6 other cruise ships and so decided to try elsewhere. We caught a local bus to Tarquinia which is a walled Roman town and was far quieter than Rome would have been. It is a lovely town with good museums etc. To get the bus you need to buy a ticket from a tobacconists which then stops outside the information office. You can get there by train but the station is not close to the walled town and the trains do not run very frequently.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We booked the olive oil and countryside excursion in August after doing Rome twice in the last couple of years and for some reason it was cancelled a few weeks before our sailing. It did sound nice and a bit different.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 16, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We booked the olive oil and countryside excursion in August after doing Rome twice in the last couple of years and for some reason it was cancelled a few weeks before our sailing. It did sound nice and a bit different.
That was my worry - I suspect that all the Americans will want to do Rome, and the non-Rome ones might get cancelled.
Old 10 Dec 16, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
That was my worry - I suspect that all the Americans will want to do Rome, and the non-Rome ones might get cancelled.
Yes I did wonder how popular it would be when we booked it as most people if it was their first time there would want to go into Rome. In the end we wandered around the town for a bit then took advantage of the adult pool being quieter while DS met his friends in vibe!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 16, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Tarquinia Gill, the tour we did was an olive farm and food tasting - (olive oils, cheeses, breads etc), followed by Tarquinia. It was a lovely day.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread