Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 20 Nov 16, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Hungry Hungry Hearnes November 2016- Day 12 added

Hi Guys,

Whilst the men are snoring their little heads off I thought I would start this blog. Its my first one so be gentle.
I'm not doing a trippie so this is going to be a two for.

Pre trippy ramblings can be found here:
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...ghlight=Hearne

Day 0- wagamama, Virgin flight and Boardwalk brothers takeaway
Day 1- Ihop, Applebees and Dennys
Day 2- Epcot and Ponderosa
Day 3- Main street bakery, Aloha Isle, Columbia Harbour House, Gastons Tavern and Taco Bell
Day 4- Starbucks and Millers Ale House
Day 5- Home cooking and Amorettes Patisserie
Day 6- Starbucks, Dockside snack shack and Buffalo wild wings
Day 7- Aquatica buffet and Longhorn Steak house
Day 8- Starbucks, five guys and Earl of Sandwich
Day 9- Fairfax Fare and 50s prime time cafe
Day 10- Caseys Hotdogs, Harbour House and MVMCP
Day 11- HM brekkie and Olive Garden
Day 12- Toothsome and Bubba Gumps

So travel day started as most travel days do... early.
We were up at 2am and I would like to say raring to go. But maybe not.
The suitcases were already down dads and so was Sparky.
Dad lives 15 minutes walk from us so we were those strange people walking around at 2:15 in the morning.
Check in was done the day before and it was all a waiting game.

We were travelling by train to Gatwick but trainline had messed up their times and told us we would arrive at reading earlier than we would, therefore we would miss our connection. So after some shuffling and begging, we had a friend pick us up from dads house and drive us to Bristol. The catch, we had to wait outside Bristol for an hour before it opened and it just happened to be freezing. Great.

At 5:30, we were on our way to reading. We had a quick pitstop here at the cafe outside platform 5.
We had two ham and cheese toasties and a hot chocolate. The pictures were failing already but the price was £9.
We also got another hot chocolate at costa for £3.80

When we arrived at Gatwick, we went straight to baggage drop and then had a wander around duty free. Me and Andrew decided we wanted breakfast so left dad at the charging stations whilst we went off to wagamama.
Another photo fail but I have stolen this image for you

We both had this and it was the english breakfast. It consisted of bacon, sausage, grilled tomato, sweet potato, mushrooms, wilted spinach, toast and a choice of eggs. We both went for poached .
Andrew decided on coke and I had the banana smoothie.
Andrew wasn't too keen on this breakfast as it was a bit too fancy for his tastes but I thought it was lovely, especially for airport food.

Total £26

We went to spoons and dad had a lager, Andrew had another coke and I had a water for the sum of £9.08. We were glad we didn't have breakfast here as the wait was an hour and a half. We were in and out of wagamama within 30 minutes.

We were flying virgin today and I had managed to bag row 80 in the bubble, which I was very proud of myself for.
As soon as we took off, we were offered drinks so I had a tomato juice and dad had a heineken. He had quite a few of these through the flight where I switched to diet coke.
They brought round the obligatory pretzels and then lunch was served an hour and a half after take off.

Both dad and Andrew had the chilli and I had the mushroom. We were still pretty rough on the while taking pictures thing but I did manage to get a pic of mine, which was actually pretty good. The taboulleh salad was a little bland though. I ended up with all three salads, which I didn't actually eat and they stole my bread roll. I also ended up with two of those lovely Gu pots.

An hour before landing we had afternoon tea which consisted of cheese and pickle sandwich, pepper and lemon crisps and a caramel chocolate. It wasn't great.

Once we had landed, we grabbed a cab to our villa which is in Sunset Lakes. Price: $84 with 10% tip included.

As soon as we dumped our bags, we ordered an Uber to Walmart ($7.80).
There we did the awful sleepwalking shop and ended up spending $94 on god knows what. We couldn't even find the poptarts and forgot about washing powder and dishwasher tablets.

The plan for tea was to grab a tasty Giordanos, but as I was ordering online, they decided to close. At 21:45. Fail.
Quick google search found us Boardwalk brothers wings was open.

We ordered Large chicken wings in bbq, garlic parmesan and plain. We also ordered a philly cheesesteak and cheese curly fries. We cut the roll into three.

Total: $51.45 inc 10% tip

It looked like not much for three grown adults, but we couldn't finish it and decided to start our left over fridge store.

At 23:00 we finally called it a night after 26 hours on the go, lots of arguments, tears and yawns.

Tomorrows plan: Ihop, shopping, five guys and maybe outback.

Edited at 04:39 AM.
dragsapphire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 16, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Great photos, I'm looking forward to the rest!
Old 20 Nov 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Loved reading it
Looking forward to more
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 16, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by LISAM View Post
Great photos, I'm looking forward to the rest!
Thanks very much. Trying to update every day but you know what it's like

Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
Loved reading it
Looking forward to more
Thank you. Looking at putting up some more days tonight
dragsapphire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 16, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Day 1

The day started at 4am for me today whilst the others were snoring away. The bliss of jet lag.

I woke the guys at 6:30 with a lovely coffee. Apparently I was still mean for doing it.
We set off for Ihop at 08:00 via uber ($17.20) and after a little detour arrived at the I-drive branch.
Dad had the quick 2 egg breakfast with bacon and white toast with coffee

$7.59 and $2.39

Andrew had Ham and Cheese omelette with hash browns
$9.59
and mountain dew
$2.39

I had new york cheesecake pancakes (sorry for the half eaten)
$4.99
and a frosted mint hot chocolate
$2.39

Our server was angel and she was great.
Total with tip $35 (big tip)

We went shopping at the outlets, but dad had a funny turn so five guys and outback were out.

We stopped in applebees for some lunch and drinks.
We had nachos and boneless wings both $10.99

I had a frozen lemonade

Andrew had even more mountain dew * no pic needed really. There's only so much mountain dew you can photograph.
Dad had his usual bud light.
Total with tip $54

The nachos and wings were beautiful. Much better than the ones we had the night before.

We then made our way back to the villa and had a crazy uber drive who almost missed a turning but instead of going to the next one decided to swing his car round so hard we were suprised it didn't come off the road. The screech was horrendous.

We ordered Giordanos for tea after last nights fail. 30 minutes after the allotted time Andrew rung to see where they were.
10 minutes later they arrived- with ice cold food. Cue very unhappy andrew on the phone and a full refund. Which was great except that obviously they take the food back so now we had to go out to find something to actually eat.
Cue another uber ride to the ever faithful Denny's.
We were seated straight away and it was really quite.

Dad had the american slam $10.99 and coffee

Andrew had the chilli cheeseburger $9.99 with coke (no mountain dew here)

I had the steak sizzler and strawberry milkshake

Those milkshakes are huge. It filled it three times.
The food was really nice. Cheap and cheerful wins the day.

Total $50 inc tip

All in all a rather interesting day
Old 22 Nov 16, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
H_C-2017
Serious Dibber

Great start
We are staying in a villa close to where you are staying so interested to see what is near that you recommend.
H_C-2017 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 16, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by H_C-2017 View Post
Great start
We are staying in a villa close to where you are staying so interested to see what is near that you recommend.
Hey. That's cool. We still have a while to go so will let you know
Old 23 Nov 16, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Day 2- Epcot

Today was another early start with began with a homemade breakfast by yours truly.
We had toast and butter, turkey bacon and cheese stuffed wurst. It wasn't great. Turkey bacon actually tastes healthy. Bacon is not supposed to taste healthy, and the wurst were seriously smoked.

Next we were off to epcot via uber (10.41) for the 9am opening. Spaceship earth was a walk on so we hit that first, followed by mission space with a 5 minute wait on the green side. After that, the wait times shot through the roof. Hello thanksgiving week.

We started our around the world tour at Canada with a light Moosehead lager at $8.75

This was dad's second favourite drink.

Next was the UK for some Harp. Dad decided from here to try and go for half pints. This was $5.33

After the UK was france and some kronenburg, which actually came from a bottle. Whilst we were here we went to ythe quick service in the back left (sorry I can't remember the name) and I picked up a smoothie, a strawberry tart and a ham and cheese croissant. Total for all four was $22.35

The food was beautiful and I would go back.

Morocco was the next country to land in and dad had an Estrella

This is where prices stop I am afraid as dad has lost his receipt for this one but most were around the $8 mark.
I also had a Habibi Daiquiri here (non alcoholic) for $6.99

In Germany, dad ordered an Oktoberfest in a souvenir stein for $14.75. This was his favourite drink of the day but hey, the Germans know their beer.

We picked up a giant turkey leg in America for $11.25

They really are a beast, but Andrew polished off the lot.

You may have noticed we didn't do all twelve countries. Well lets just say by Germany, dad was all lagered out.

Uncle Phil visited from Daytona in the evening so we decided to go to ponderosa for dinner. No pics I'm afraid but for four of us it was $54 which included two alcoholic and two refill drinks.
The food is extremely hit and miss here. I had the grilled shrimp and Phil had the steak tips which we both loved. However, Andrew had the fish and chips and Dad had the Pork chops. Both were less than impressed and Dads pork chops were bone dry.
We wouldn't go back, but saying that the I-drive one has always been pretty good so it may just be the location.
Old 23 Nov 16, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Day 3- Magic Kingdom

Rope drop was on the cards for today, but after Dad and Uncle Phil stayed up until 4am, they were hard work to get moving at 6. All self inflicted as they knew we had an early start, sympathy was severly lacking.
We got through in time to see the rope drop show and off we went. After getting some piccys done, we were off to Main Street bakery for some much needed coffee. The problem was, half the park had the same idea.
I had the tall caramel frappe

Dad had a grande Americano

and Andrew had a bacon and cheese bap.

No prices I'm afraid as yet again the receipt has gone missing.

Once we had finished these off we went to the jingle cruise, closely followed by Splash mountain. Being at the front we only got a little wet *cough*
We made our way back into Adventure land and to Aloha isle for onne of these bad boys.

It was very refreshing and can imagine it would be great in the sweltering heats of July.

For lunch we settled on the Columbia Harbour House after hearing great reviews.
I had the lobster roll $13.99

It came with potato chips but I swapped with Andrew for some steamed broccoli.

Andrew had the Chicken pot pie at $10.99

and then I bought him a crush sipper with fanta for $14.99

a bit on the pricey side, but a great souvenir.
The food here is amazing. Don't let anyone say you can't get great quick service food that isn't burgers or pizza.

At this point, Dad had fallen asleep on the table, so we sent him packing back to the villa.

Gastons tavern was our next food stop for a LeFous brew.

Andrew had another large Fanta

and we shared the Ham and Cheese pretzel

Total $17.76

Andrew declared the pretzel as the best thing he had eaten so far, but the brew was actually like drinking liquid apple sauce. It wasn't great.

We were all pretty washed out by the time Dinner came along so we decided to find somewhere cheap and cheerful. We landed on Taco Bell as it was on Andrew's America bucket list.
Andrew and Dad had the steak burrito

And I had the tacos

The total was $22, so whilst cheap definitely not cheerful. I don't think we would come back here, but it was an experience all the same. With all the other good American joints out there, I don't think it would feature on our list next time.
Old 24 Nov 16, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Great report so far

We still haven't tried Taco Bell, not sure I'm too bothered now after your comments! We did try Wendy's for the first time this year, really tasty.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List