Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jun 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile What is August like and how much are direct flights

On hold to Disney yet again to try and change our sept booking to August next year. Not entirely sure we will go but hoping things improve and I can’t wait any longer lol (first visit planned for 2016)

How hot and busy is August? Is it manageable (youngest will be 4) and how much generally are direct flights from London?

I guess we could do March or April but unsure what things will be like that soon and eldest going to year 2 so thinking I should avoid May as she will have SATs .
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Mobile

We ve been end Aug twice
It’s super hot and humid with torrential rain most afternoons but you adapt your days round it
Direct flights who knows now
We have only ever done indirect as it’s thousands cheaper for 4 of us
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

We did August in 2017 and booked for the last 3 weeks as it quietens down towards the end of august as the Americans had started to go back to school then, it was busy but I stuck to the DIBB busy day guide which helped.

It was very warm and I was constantly dripping with sweat, plenty of mist fountains and water rides to cool you down, I like the heat so it didn't really bother me. As mentioned above it rained nearly every day but a poncho did its job.

We flew indirect from from Manchester via Philly through BA and for the 5 of us including the 3 weeks Suburban car hire came to £4K, came back from Orlando to Gatwick then transferred to Heathrow to fly back to Manchester.

I've just booked to go the end of August 2022 as I'm also tied in to school/college times and having just done Christmas want to go back in the warm (although i did love the crimbo atmosphere)

Edited at 09:51 AM.
youre-nicked is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

I’d love to go at xmas! This sounds crazy but the kids always get Ill in winter and it worries me they will be Poorly before the holiday haha!

Looks like August will be hot and expensive, Easter was an option too but that will also be expensive and I’m not sure how different things will be at that stage either. Wish I had a crystal ball
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Id go the end of august, that was one of the many tips that I picked up on here.

I agree with Easter, might be a bit soon with all the uncertainty in the world at the moment.

Good luck
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

We did August with a nearly 4 year old. It was warm but manageable. I know not everyone agrees but a buggy was invaluable for him, even though he’d been out of one at home for years. It’s just made for a much more pleasant experience for all of us!
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Thanks all, home phone died so didn’t get through again! Hopefully we can get hold of them to rebook!

I’m not opposed to a pushchair - I want an easy life lol
Old 24 Jun 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

We had booked direct from Gatwick to Tampa for Aug this year (now have a voucher, as we wouldn't bother going with the current situation). for 19 days as a BA flydrive, so car and good insurance included, was £3k total. 2a and 2c (teens).
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hotter than the surface of the sun and you sweat from every gland, and every crevice that you never knew you could sweat from 😂 We never do whole days at the parks, the heat is just too draining for us so we do early starts and then back to our accommodation and our for dinner in the evening, or have chill out pool days and go out to a park from 4 till close. Works well for us. We also don’t do parks every day.

We’ve been the last 2 weeks of August a few times, parks are usually a tiny bit quieter than the start of the month as local schools have usually gone back by then. You do get the odd afternoon shower that can last 10 mins or 2 hours, we’ve had tropical storms whilst there but it’s fine. I like the varied weather and still plenty to do when it rains. Just bare in mind that the halloween parties start mid August, first one was the 14th last year I think, so Happily Ever After won’t be in every night and you have to be out of the park by 7pm in a party night so have to factor that into your planning.

We were supossed to go this August, but are now booked for August 2022! We've done BA flydrives everytime weve been, ranging from £1900 to £2900.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
August direct flights can be ok, but you have to be on the ball. We go in August and book a BA flydrive in the September sale. We booked last September to go this August - Gatwick to Orlando with a SUV - cost £2800 for 4 (for 3 weeks). If you can be flexible it can often work out cheaper flying to Tampa or Miami.

Weather is hot but manageable. Lots of water and sunscreen and maximise air con opportunities.

Edited at 08:13 PM.
mason1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List