Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Mar 17, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsWDW
Apprentice Imagineer

Miami - Orlando

We are flying into Miami for a short cruise, after the cruise we head straight to Orlando. I was planning to pick up a car and drive to Orlando but then saw that internal flights are very cheap and flight duration just over an hour. What would you do? Has anyone flown from Miami to Orlando?
MrsWDW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We drove from Miami to Orlando last summer and it was fine, the drive itself took just under 4 hours but we did stop at Vero beach on the way up for a few hours to spend some time by the coast. The drive itself was boring but it got us there no problem and will probably do the same next year. I would rather drive than fly, Miami airport is pants, and the traffic getting in/out was a complete nightmare so by the time you try to get into the airport you could be well on your way driving there, we do love a road trip though so that sways our decision.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It depends if I was planning on keeping the car for the duration of my stay in Orlando. If the answer is yes then I would hire in Miami and drive, firstly it won't be that expensive as there is no one way fee with most rental companies as you are dropping in the same state. Secondly the flight time/drive time is about the same when you take into consideration the fact that you have to arrive at the airport a couple of hours before the flight and then wait for you luggage at the other end.

Also as mentioned above you could stop off somewhere nice on route.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Where are you staying in Orlando?
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsWDW
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by amandajane10 View Post
Where are you staying in Orlando?
We are staying in Lake Buena Vista
MrsWDW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 17, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I'd drive rather than fly, time will be about the same, but less stress and you can stop to do stuff on the way.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Drive!

1 Hour flight, but you'll need to be at the airport at least 2 hours before, then there's the flight for an hour, then the getting off the plane, retrieving luggage etc. Then you'll still be 45 minutes or so from where you're actually staying (depending on where that is).

Driving is easily done in 3.5 hours and is very easy, if a little boring.
Old 11 Mar 17, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsWDW
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone.. looks like driving is the winner! I'm guessing I'll have to go to Miami airport to pick up the car? And I'm also guessing it will be ok to return the car 2 weeks later to Orlando airport
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Not necessarily, I depends who you book with.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Most of the main car rental companies run shuttles from the cruise port to the airport. We have collected cars from some of the hotels in the past but found they have a very limited choice of cars. It is not a problem dropping the car off at the end of your break at Orlando airport.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List