Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Mar 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Gatwick Airport - Drop off?

Hi all. We're flying from Gatwick in November. My dad uses a mobility scooter. We haven't booked parking yet but would like to stay on site. Is there a drop off zone where I can drop the my family then get a bus from the car park? Sorry, we usually fly from Manchester but had a cracking deal from Gatwick and not been there before! Thanks
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Matty777
Serious Dibber

Yes there are Drop Off zones at LGW at both North and South (fairly well signposted) Access to walkways and lifts is easy.
Don't leave your vehicle or be there too long, the Wardens are a tad overzealous!
Matty777 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Thank you! It's a bit daunting as we've always gone from Manchester. I've looked at the LGW website which is good but always better to have a personal reply
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Matty777 View Post
Yes there are Drop Off zones at LGW at both North and South (fairly well signposted) Access to walkways and lifts is easy.
Don't leave your vehicle or be there too long, the Wardens are a tad overzealous!
If you plan to be any longer than ten minutes dropping off then use the appropriate Short Stay car park. If you are flying with Virgin it is now NORTH terminal. British Airways now depart from SOUTH terminal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
If you plan to be any longer than ten minutes dropping off then use the appropriate Short Stay car park. If you are flying with Virgin it is now NORTH terminal. British Airways now depart from SOUTH terminal.
Thanks, I'm hoping to just get him and his scooter out of the car, along with my sister and a couple of cases. Then drive to long stay and get the bus with my mum and meet them back at the terminal. We're going with BA so south terminal. Just hope driving around there is straight forward enough!
Old 13 Mar 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

Gatwick is my local airport, and, as stated, the Parking wardens are very strong on waiting times, because of security issue`s mainly .

Im disabled and have been using " Meet and Greet " services for a couple of years at Gatwick , its a lot cheaper than parking onsite , AND the car is taken from you at the pre-arranged drop-off point and bought back to you when you fly back in.
You can be unloading whilst the "driver" is checking your car for damage and taking photo-proof`s of it , and you all stay together..and loading after in a secure area with no rush makes life a lot easier .
Using Topcashback or Quidco for discount`s, ive found it 50/70% cheaper than parking onsite and 20/40% cheaper than "parkNride" ..AND you dont have the hassle of bus transfers etc.
Make sure you choose a " Park Mark " approved operator .
Have a great time !
V8Pops is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by V8Pops View Post
Im disabled and have been using " Meet and Greet " services for a couple of years at Gatwick , its a lot cheaper than parking onsite , AND the car is taken from you at the pre-arranged drop-off point and bought back to you when you fly back in.
You can be unloading whilst the "driver" is checking your car for damage and taking photo-proof`s of it , and you all stay together..and loading after in a secure area with no rush makes life a lot easier .
Using Topcashback or Quidco for discount`s, ive found it 50/70% cheaper than parking onsite and 20/40% cheaper than "parkNride" ..AND you dont have the hassle of bus transfers etc.
Make sure you choose a " Park Mark " approved operator .
Have a great time !
I second this! Gatwick is our "local" for flying out to the States too and although we don't have to contend with a wheelchair, my DD has polyarthritis and can find mobility difficult - we've used "meet and greet" for years and found that it cuts down our time and stress levels. You call as you approach the airport and they send someone out to find you in the drop of zone and then when you come back you call when you're in baggage pick up and by the time you've made it out to the drop off zone your car is there waiting for you, you just check it over, load up and leave.

There are plenty of scares about some companies using your car while you'e away, but we've never had that problem. If you're super worried take a pic of your mileage when you arrive at Gatwick. And, yes, please do use a "Park Mark" operator. I do always take a spare key with me just in case - I'm just paranoid

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

We've booked Maple manor Meet and Great for June at the North Terminal. You drive into the North terminal Short Stay, unload while they check in your car and do a damage inspection and then thats it, they drive away and you are a minute from the terminal. We paid around £100 for two weeks and my dad found a discount voucher for his parking and paid just under £90 for the same dates

If you intend staying the night before it might be worth looking at the park and stay packages in the premier inn. that is 30 seconds up the moving walkway to departures and would give you the oppurtunity to drop off your dad, let them check in to the hotel and then go park the car. On the way back you can just go get the car and pick them up from arrivals

Edited at 11:01 AM. Reason: obvious typos
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List