Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Mar 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Did you find a cabin yet? I was just looking for next year (our usual cabin no longer rents out ) & spotted one called 'Andy's Hideaway'

Wouldn't recommend it tho as it has no views...

We like the Sevierville area as you can get cabins high up but still only 20mins approx from the main road (we always go Dollywood,* the Xmas shop & the Hatfield & McCoy show in Pigeon Forge).

Apologies for the quality. I can only upload iPad photos so I've had to take a photo of a print but it gives you an idea of the cabin views you should be able to find.

I'm adding another photo as the previous one is so bad:

*Imo Dollywood is better for adults than children. It reminds me of Frontierland 25 years ago. I don't go on many rides - Wild Eagle is my fav - but all the shows are good & the Cinnamon Bread is the best I've ever had it's nice to see different merchandise as well. Like Disneyworld used to sell before everything got themed.

** my daughter bought a 3ft tall wooden bear which was carved out of a block of wood byoung girl with a chainsaw! Yep - we watched her doing it.
Ah that's a fab view. Nope, not found one yet. I got frustrated and stopped looking. Then I read somewhere to leave it until nearer the time as rates will drop for last minute bookings. But the reality is I've been busy with other things so I will start again after we get back. I need to re look at the " must have" list I think, it's narrowing our options within the price we want to pay !

Now we have 4 nights there we may fit in Dollywood, we don't have any real plans for those days , which is lovely after the busy week we will have had getting there.

I'm so excited for this trip. I've got Dallas, Eureka Springs and Little Rock all planned. Just doing Memphis next
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sorry, late to this thread. Enjoying reading through it.

We flew into Atlanta for a couple of days and then headed up to Chattanooga and Ruby Falls (it was far better than we thought it would be) then up through Knoxville and Pigeon Forge to Gatliburg and stayed in a cabin near there. We looped back over the mountains through Cherokee, a stop at Tallulah Falls and then back down to Atlanta for a flight to orlando for a week.

My recommendation is not to stay in Pigeon Forge but stay up in the mountains new Gatlinburg. Better and higher cabins and a much more relaxing stay. Pigeon Forge is like I drive on steroids

A picture of Ruby Falls I took. Takes about an hours walking.

Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
Sorry, late to this thread. Enjoying reading through it.

We flew into Atlanta for a couple of days and then headed up to Chattanooga and Ruby Falls (it was far better than we thought it would be) then up through Knoxville and Pigeon Forge to Gatliburg and stayed in a cabin near there. We looped back over the mountains through Cherokee, a stop at Tallulah Falls and then back down to Atlanta for a flight to orlando for a week.

My recommendation is not to stay in Pigeon Forge but stay up in the mountains new Gatlinburg. Better and higher cabins and a much more relaxing stay. Pigeon Forge is like I drive on steroids

A picture of Ruby Falls I took. Takes about an hours walking.

Wow, that's a spectacular photo. I'm not sure if we will get to the Falls or not. Depends on how hubby feels about the drive !

I've have given up looking for a cabin for the moment.

DH is really tall and every time I find a nice place it's got one of those damn big wood log frames all the way round the bed which is going to be a problem for his lanky legs First world problem eh.

But they all seem to have them .

I did say to him maybe I have the bed and he sleeps in the car as it seriously limiting the options trying to find just a plain bed

There must be one out there somewhere...

And I Drive on steroids. That is an omg image

Edited at 06:45 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Just had a quick look at the rental company we use - Natural Retreats.com & found one called Bears Crossing. Their bed does have a wooden frame but the mattress in the photo does appear to be higher than the frame. How tall is Andy? My DH is 6ft 3" but was ok in
The cabin we rented.
To save trawling thru the websites - perhaps you could just pick a rental company & ring them to ask about the Beds?

Edit: just found another called Heavenly Vision which has a divan bed, low price & great views! Hope you done mind me looking - I do like a challenge.
No wifi tho - worth noting that a lot of the Smokies cabins can't get wifi. The better the views, the scarier the access roads are - def need an SUV!

If

Edited at 08:05 PM. Reason: To add content
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi,
We did a road trip including part of Tennessee. Re Chattanooga - we didn't do ruby falls, so can't comment on them. But one of the highlights for me was Rock City - an amazing place, hard to describe - walk around/through rock formations. There are beautiful viewpoints, and a lovely cafe at the top with great views. You'll have to look it up on trip advisor.

Gatlinburg area - Im not sure if you are aware, but there was a huge wildfire a few months ago. It destroyed 1700 buildings/cabins and thousands of acres of trees. It is a beautiful area though, and I would definitely still visit - just be aware that the views will be different, and some businesses (restaurants, the Gatlinburg skylift, hillbilly golf...) were destroyed/badly damaged. If you go, I recommend Dollywood and the water park there too, hiking on the trails, and zip lining with CLIMBworks.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
fa$$a
Trying for More Ears

I got incredibly overwhelmed with the amount of cabin choice, it's daunting isn't it? I can highly recommend the company we booked with called Cabin Fever they do good rates on cabins for just two people. Even though there was just the two of us the cabin was still of the size that could sleep 6 and had 3 bathrooms and a games room and hot tub.
Your trip sounds brilliant 👍🏻
fa$$a is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Just had a quick look at the rental company we use - Natural Retreats.com & found one called Bears Crossing. Their bed does have a wooden frame but the mattress in the photo does appear to be higher than the frame. How tall is Andy? My DH is 6ft 3" but was ok in
The cabin we rented.
To save trawling thru the websites - perhaps you could just pick a rental company & ring them to ask about the Beds?

Edit: just found another called Heavenly Vision which has a divan bed, low price & great views! Hope you done mind me looking - I do like a challenge.
No wifi tho - worth noting that a lot of the Smokies cabins can't get wifi. The better the views, the scarier the access roads are - def need an SUV!

If
Thanks for this . I am going to start again in the next couple of weeks. He is 6'5" . This is where being short has its advantages - bunk beds would do for me !
Old 28 Mar 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
Hi,
We did a road trip including part of Tennessee. Re Chattanooga - we didn't do ruby falls, so can't comment on them. But one of the highlights for me was Rock City - an amazing place, hard to describe - walk around/through rock formations. There are beautiful viewpoints, and a lovely cafe at the top with great views. You'll have to look it up on trip advisor.

Gatlinburg area - Im not sure if you are aware, but there was a huge wildfire a few months ago. It destroyed 1700 buildings/cabins and thousands of acres of trees. It is a beautiful area though, and I would definitely still visit - just be aware that the views will be different, and some businesses (restaurants, the Gatlinburg skylift, hillbilly golf...) were destroyed/badly damaged. If you go, I recommend Dollywood and the water park there too, hiking on the trails, and zip lining with CLIMBworks.
Thanks - we can see on Air BnB lots of listings that are not taking bookings as they were caught up in the fire. So sad. I will look up Rock City . Lots of planning still to do
Old 28 Mar 17, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by fa$$a View Post
I got incredibly overwhelmed with the amount of cabin choice, it's daunting isn't it? I can highly recommend the company we booked with called Cabin Fever they do good rates on cabins for just two people. Even though there was just the two of us the cabin was still of the size that could sleep 6 and had 3 bathrooms and a games room and hot tub.
Your trip sounds brilliant 👍🏻
Yeah, it reached a point where I was recognising the cabins by name and getting so muddled. I will look up that company though, I cant recall seeing them before. Need to get ourselves sorted !