Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Mar 17, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gremlin
Excited about Disney

Gremlin's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Car Hire Confusion

Please help!

We normally hire a car through who ever we book the holiday with. This year we looked online at skyscanner, avis etc and noticed the prices seemed lots less, so planned to do it our self.

The only thing is when I look at the different packages, I don't know what insurances and wavers I need to make sure is included and which normally need to be added.

I have looked back though some dibb posts and thought I had it sorted but different car hire sites seem to call them different things.

I know the free car generally offered with a package holiday requires additional insurances, is this the same when booking car hire online or do they normally include the required?

What insurances/wavers etc do we need to make sure is included? (No additional drivers are required.)

I also have seen an advert on here for Argus Car Hire, is this a recommended site or is it appearing because of me previously searching online for car hire?

Many thanks in advance.
2017 - Villa @ Glenbrook
2019 - Villa @ Towncenter Resort

Edited at 12:51 PM.
Gremlin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I normally book either through Bristish Airways - with Avis - the insurance included is fine - or US Rentacar with gold package at least. Same with Alamo if I remember - take gold package at least, and don't take anything extra if offered on arrival.

With Avis I am registered with preferred and just collect and get on my way.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Yordaman
Excited about Disney

Yes, it can be very confusing, as the different sites and companies will cover different levels of insurance. I found that what seemed like a good price from a 'budget' site turned out to be much higher if you add on some of the insurances you still need, making them comparable to more mainstream sites that advertise a fully comprehensive insurance package.

You can probably hunt around to find the best deal, or take the easier way out (as I did) and book via a 'big' company with a fully-inclusive package. And I got this confirmed with the agent who booked it and also Avis direct afterwards. I also signed up to their 'Preferred' scheme so I can go straight to the garage, so there's no dealing with a rental desk person trying to sell more insurances - I already have them which is why I can just drive away.

This may be more costly than other deals out there, but I'm lazy and was prepared to pay a little extra to save my time, and buy some piece of mind.
Yordaman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gremlin
Excited about Disney

Gremlin's Reviews
Thanks for the help..

Just looked at Avis and they seem reasonable so happy to book through them. They include:

Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) - provides supplementary protection in the event of bodily injury, death or property damage during your rental.

Covered for loss or damage - You're covered for accidental damage, but if any repairs are required an excess may apply. When you collect your vehicle ask at the counter about how you can significantly reduce the excess.This vehicle's excess is USD0.00.

I assume that this is enough cover or is there more required?
2017 - Villa @ Glenbrook
Gremlin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gremlin
Excited about Disney

Gremlin's Reviews
Have just looked on Alamo and that has the fully inc and gold insurance. I dont need extra drivers so the fully inc seems a good deal and to cover it all. May go with them as that feels a little more comfortable to understand.

Full INC covers:

Collision Damage Waiver Full
Concession Fee
Customer Facility Chg
Tire Battery Fee
Extended Protection
Vehicle License Fee
Sales Tax
Florida Surcharge
2017 - Villa @ Glenbrook
Old 11 Mar 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Yordaman
Excited about Disney

The usual 'extra' insurance they try to sell is for excess, ie. They say that in the event of a claim, you'd be liable for the excess, and so to avoid that they will sell you excess liability insurance, which can be an unwelcome and unexpected cost right at the start of your holiday.

The all-inclusive deals avoid this, providing they do include everything. Try asking the direct question to someone "Is there anything else I have to pay", and ensure they understand you're talking about such things as excess insurance.

But something I've spotted, and you say above too, is that the excess on some deals is now zero. This doesn't seem to apply across the board, and I've not seen in the UK at all, but maybe the US people are getting wise and actually pricing things so that us poor tourists don't have extra costs - if there's no excess, then no need for excess insurance?

Is anyone has any knowledge on this latest trend I'd also be glad to hear about it, just to confirm our thinking that excess insurance sales pitches at rental desks might be on the way out?
Yordaman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
If you book through any of the normal car hire websites with a UK link there is no excess to pay as it's zero. For example Avis via BA or via the UK site. Alamo Brits, Virgin Atlantic stand alone hire which is Alamo and the list goes on.
I have never paid in the US to reduce the excess to zero in 40 years of renting as it's always been zero.

The sites that you need to check really carefully are the lesser known 3rd party suppliers as their headline prices are very low - because they have omitted certain key requirements.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
chezfraser
Excited about Disney

chezfraser's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Used Alamo Brits before... does the age of the Brits guide matter to qualify for this... mine must be 4-5 years old now?
Disneyland 1979, 1996, Polynesian 2000, Caribbean Beach 2001 & 2002, DLP Sequoia 2002, West Ridge 2004, Highland Reserve 2006, DLP Camping(!) 2009. High Grove 2010, Highland Reserve 2012, Orange Tree 2015, California/Disneyland 2016, Hillcrest 2017, WorldQuest 2019
chezfraser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chezfraser View Post
Used Alamo Brits before... does the age of the Brits guide matter to qualify for this... mine must be 4-5 years old now?
It's supposed to be the current one but don't bother, the desk attendant will never have heard of it. They don't know what your deal is, just know you have a booking.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
It's supposed to be the current one but don't bother, the desk attendant will never have heard of it. They don't know what your deal is, just know you have a booking.
It doesn't say that it has to be a current copy on the Alamo Brits site, but as you say, and as I will be doing in May, picking up car without any Brit Guide.
If queried I'll answer " Oh no, I've left it in the seat pocket on the plane, I was reading it on the way over" But I won't be asked, never been in the last three times. Your booking doesn't even mention Brits Guide, just Strathearn Publishing, so how a rep on the exit kiosk will link that info back to Brits Guide I don't know.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List