Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Mar 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
diddldonna
Apprentice Imagineer

diddldonna's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Driving in the USA especially orlando

Hello we have been to Disney World 6 times and each time just used the Disney Buses and magical express and a few taxi rides. However we really would like to travel around and visit a few other places. My husband has never driven in another country and is a bit scared of the idea. How easy or hard is it? Any advice that would be helpful to him and maybe give him the confidence to give it a go.

Also regarding sat navs, if you hire a car and get one are they easy to use and follow? compared to ours.

Past Disney world Vacations:
POFQ AUG 2018, OCT 2015 CR, FEB 2013 OKW, SEPT 2010 OKW, NOV 2007 ASM, NOV 2005 ASM, JUNE 2004 Offsite.
diddldonna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Driving is so easy albeit I can accept it must seem daunting the first time. It was for me picking up a car in Manhattan during rush hour in 1976!

I have recently updated the Dibb Guide with help from Mick, well worth a read.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

If the sat nav is built in they are like our built in ones. Excellent. Others have their own tips such as pre downloading maps onto the phone, you can rent one off E Bay for £15 etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:53 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Easy very easy in fact I think it's easier than over in the Uk only thing he will find funny at first may be a automatic but after he remembers to keep his left foot tucked in and not tempted to hit the brake with it all will be fine. Maybe if poss have a go of a auto in U.K. But the roads and driving in Orlando is perfect even in the busy areas.
Everywhere is set up for tourist as you would have seen in the past loads of signage plus he could use a sat nav if he prefers.
Check out the driving tips and advice that Mr Tom has done on here I've driven a few times over there now and I still found it very informative.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Driving is so easy albeit I can accept it must seem daunting the first time. It was for me picking up a car in Manhattan during rush hour in 1976!

I have recently updated the Dibb Guide with help from Mick, well worth a read.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

If the sat nav is built in they are like our built in ones. Excellent. Others have their own tips such as pre downloading maps onto the phone, you can rent one off E Bay for £15 etc.
Tom,this is a very wise way of putting it. The concerns about dribing in a different country (mainly the USA/Orlando in this forum come up quite often. As Tom rightly says it can b daunting especially after a long flight but there is some good advice at the link above.

Take your time and enjoy.
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by martyn7836 View Post
thing he will find funny at first may be a automatic but after he remembers to keep his left foot tucked in and not tempted to hit the brake with it all will be fine
This was my mistake on our recent trip. Not even sure why I did it as I'd driven fine earlier in the week. Couldn't work out what I was doing wrong and don't know how we didn't crash. DH says I'm not driving again.
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsWDW
Apprentice Imagineer

Sit in the car a while before you drive off, adjust everything that needs adjusting, mirrors, seats, aircon etc. The actual driving is easy once you are used to the car.
MrsWDW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

First car I had to drive in Florida was about 8 years ago and it was a Chrysler 300c which was a massive car compared to what I drove back In uK at the time. Anyhow my mistake was getting the car loading everything in jumped in the passenger seat (wife and kids laughing at me) it was only when I got in the correct side and sat in drivers seat and turned the key I thought what the hell do I do now. Never seen the foot parking brake before (again another reason to read toms guide on driving) anyhow I got out and asked the car rental staff who were great came over talked me through the car what everything did etc and he even offered to get in the car while I drive it to the barrier. All worked out fine and was very comfortable the following day however as tom said it can be a worry the first time whatever he's going through he's not the first and won't be the last to be concerned.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
For those who have never driven an automatic which is somewhat surreal the first time two bits of advice
Rent one for a day, or
Book an hour with a driving instructor who deals in 'automatic tests'

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Over 1 million UK tourists visit the Orlando area each year so let's disallow the kids. So that's 1/2million adults of which a half or perhaps more decide to hire a car. So in a year more than 250,000 Brits are driving around the place. They seem to manage OK. My husband says driving on an Interstate is like driving on a motorway except everything is to your right. It's a mirror image of what we do here. They have some quirks like turning right on a red light (after stopping and checking) - how I wish we could do that here to the left.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
diddldonna
Apprentice Imagineer

diddldonna's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
For those who have never driven an automatic which is somewhat surreal the first time two bits of advice
Rent one for a day, or
Book an hour with a driving instructor who deals in 'automatic tests'
Thankyou, he's going to look at this idea.

Past Disney world Vacations:
POFQ AUG 2018, OCT 2015 CR, FEB 2013 OKW, SEPT 2010 OKW, NOV 2007 ASM, NOV 2005 ASM, JUNE 2004 Offsite.
diddldonna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List